Register now to get rid of these ads!

Serious Question/ 1960 Olds 88

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappin bottom, Jun 17, 2013.

1. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

I have a serious question that I know sometimes is not a popular subject on here, but ill ask anyway. I am about to have my first son and don't want him to get hurt at all!!! So I got the wife a new car with AC and all that good jazz, but now I have to put an AC in my car. So this is where I am going to ask for help from you guys, what is the best AC unit to put in a 1960 Olds 88?
    I want it to be cool enough for my son and I, but also not break the bank too much, but if push comes to shove then for him I will pay top dollar for one. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 327Eric

327Eric

3. 1959apache

1959apache

I think you can go with what the two above previously mentioned...

Also, I know you are just trying to do right by your boy, but how often are you going to be in your car with him in it? Also, why is this a concern now; have you been driving it around this whole time without A/C? If you can't spare the change then maybe you can look for the old ones that hang from the window... If all else fails you are going to have to go to a wrecking yard and get your stuff there. Otherwise leave it alone, I am sure he will be fine if you are driving it sparingly, a/c wasn't invented for a long time, people have been around a lot longer.

Love the car by the way, those things are just plain cool. Love the ass end of it

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

In 1960, a lot of these, if not most, came with factory air. I would start scrounging original parts.

5. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Thanks for the help guys! Well it is going to be my daily driver car, and every now and then my son (which is due any moment now haha) will be in it. Just want to be ready for anything, first child so kinda freakin out. I rode around in an old Chevy truck and old Impala with no AC when I was a child and did just fine, but we also live in Austin TX and its starting to get a little hotter than normal here. Would the window ones work well enough? Not trying to make my son a wussy, but I also dont want him to be an egg on a frying pan. Either way thanks for all the great info!

6. 62nova

62nova

Unless this is a serious restoration don't bother with the original AC stuff and the R12 hassle. Get a vintage air . Cold air and easy to find replacement parts.

7. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Like they said, Vintage air. Lots os area in that boat. BTW not to shake your tree but have you checked it out for lead paint and asbestos?

8. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Hahaha Straightpipes, I checked. Took a paint chip off and ate it, and still seem to be fine except for bleeding out of my nose part, but who knows. Once again thanks for all the helpful input, ill keep updates on the build and post pics!

9. I would recommend a add on under dash type,the Vintage air is a superior product. HRP

10. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

do a southern air hang down unit. ive had two 60 chevys (2dr biscayne and brookwood wagon which is my daily drive) both i put the high dollar vintage air in. neither put as much air out as the cheaper hang down unit from southern (which i had in a 68 belair wagon). hope this helps

11. jkeesey

jkeesey

I just installed a Vintage Air into a 57 Chevy and it was a huge PITA. If you decide to go with them do not get their cheaper model. The more expensive models I have installed from them seem to be alot easier to fit and look alot nicer. In other words dont get the cable operated unit.

12. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

HA HA, Thats good! Lead has a million year half life so your days are numbered............Gets mighty hot down your way. might want to darken some windows. That Olds must have about an acre of glass....

Good luck with the kid....

13. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Thanks Straightpipes! Yeah I figures that the glass was going to give me the most problems for the heat. Jkeesey I was thinking the same thing about getting the wire one and not cable. I have been watching some youtube videos on the process and it doesnt look too hard but the wire one looks alot easier. Once again thanks for all the help guys!

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Vintage Air recently came out with a sixties style center of the dash hang down unit for $299.

15. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

AAAAHHHH hell that would look perfect! Thanks Gman0046!

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not trying to be out of line, but I think you need to save up quickly for a Vintage Air setup. If the cheaper one seems to be a bitch to install, hire someone to install it. It's your BABY in a hot car, are you REALLY trying to skimp on his comfort? I have a friend with a shoebox and he's having a system installed right now, for his kids comfort. He bit the bullet.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

By the time you find an old unit, modify it, replace worn out parts, etc, you will have more money and time in it than just buying a brand new VA unit that fits and is brand new. They make a good unit.

BTW, congrats on the upcoming event......bet you are stoked ! :D Life is about to begin for you.

Don

18. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Thanks Don, life is indeed about to get very interesting!