Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wtf is- was this thing ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Jun 12, 2013.

1. henry29

henry29

Maybe not, but you can sculpt it into a beautiful sculpture, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

2. 2racer

2racer

All this needs is to unscrew the radiator cap and drive a different car under it...

3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

This is from the school of thought that brought us "asymmetrical styling" It is not required that one side of the build should match the other side of the build.
    Surely some of you Old Farts (like me) remember the cars that were built with one headlight, one taillight, tag mount off to one side along with the offset hood scoop and racing stripe. Hell, sometimes the grille was even offset,
    Yes it would take a lot to put this project back to "symmetrical" but there are obviously a few good parts left on this old ride !!! The "Poor Mans Duval Windshield" would have to GO !!!
    If one mans "Junk" can be another mans "Treasure", then one mans "Dream Gone Bad" could be another mans "Dream Gone Right" If the price gets low enough it may be worth the effort.................Jeff

4. Set it on fire... Or better yet have a hamb bash!!! Get a keg, roast a pig, and take turns beating the shit out of that thing with sledge hammers!!! Then post the whole shindig on here so no new commers ever try to post builds on anything like it!!!

5. Master of None

Master of None

I saw this car in person today as the I assume the owner was getting gas for his truck. Not sure what it was doing in Rockwellcity, but it did make me stop and give it a hard look. I'd say it was some teenagers idea of hot rod. Crude yes but we also have to remember not everyone then and now has the same talents of Dick Dean, Gene Winfield or Sam Barris. I actually kind of made my day to see it. Not sure why, but it was kinda fun to see it in person.

6. any pictures?

7. Master of None

Master of None

Nope sorry, all I had on me was my crappy cell phone.

8. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

I like it, and I think someone with really good metal fab skills can make it look proper.

I did something similar to what henry29 did...... (Please excuse the photochop...just started learning how to use it)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. I Drag

I Drag

1 of 12,000 of anything is not rare.

10. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

With the front on it starts to look cooler, nice photoshop!!

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

I did a photo shop too :eek::cool::D:D:D

[​IMG]

Alright, Don't get your knickers in a bunch,.... I'm just messing around. :D

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

NEWS FLASH !!!!!!!

They just located the other 11,999 !!!!!!

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:eek::D:D:D:D:cool:

13. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

^^^^No worries, man...a little humor is always good for the soul :D

14. I don't care what anyone on this thread says... That thing looks cool! I'd buy it and make something radical out of it. I'm glad someone posted Joe Brienza's 34 "Top Secret Rod", that car is one of my all time favorites! It's also a perfect example of the potential this car has...

15. 2racer

2racer

Potential is relative,
    I have a cousin that is 43 years old and still lives with his mother, that is permanent potential.

16. k9racer

k9racer

First thing I noticed was the 49 thru 53 Merc engine note the carburator and water hose location. The car has split front wish bones............................................... Looks like some one wanted a hot rod and did the best he could with what he could round up and looks like he had very limited funds.................................................................................................. I wonder if the people that bad mouth this car could show their first build. I also notice the current care taker has a circle track car in his shop.................................................................... Just thing we are building cars now out of what 10 to 15 years ago we would not have bought for a parts car... Thank You and let the bashing resume..

17. I never knew we had so many cookie cutters on here. I thought the idea of this forum is to preserve our heritage and keep it alive? Not everyone of our forefathers had gobs of money and skill. We all love the show cars left behind but you are hating on a back yard rod. Bunch of prehistoric gold chainers!

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the people bashing this car have no vision or imagination. got to go with the crowd and since the crowd is bashing, you must bash as well. if the first 5 posts on this thread thought it was cool that would be the theme of this thread.

I've seen this happen over and over here. my favorite was the widened 51 chevy on an impala frame. biggest pile of crap of all time, and people were telling him how cool he was and what balls he had.

19. nice job. could you chop the windshield a little?

20. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

I agree with 49ratfink.....and I'm no visionary by any means, but even I can see a nice hot rod in that pile.

BTW, this is strictly for my benefit to improve my Pshop skills, but how 'bout some louvers and interior....

[​IMG]

I'll see about taking a few inches out of that windshield.

21. looks good and i kinda like the louvers backwards.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is a DuVall style windshield, paint and brightwork away from being just right.

23. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I agree. Glad to see that there are some of us that don't think "traditional" means replicating the same damn car over and over again.
    I posted Brienza's cars, and to me he's a perfect example of how not everyone back in the day was building the same damn car.
    I like how the reply I got to those pics was someone pointing out that the porportions were different. Why yes, yes they are...that wasn't my point. My point was that that every guy building hot rods back in the day didn't follow the standard formula. In fact I would say that NO ONE followed a formula back then. It wasn't about uniformity and adherence, it was about pushing the envelope.

24. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Here it is with the cut down windscreen....

[​IMG]

I had actually thought about throwing on a DuVall windshield, but I really don't mind it as is, especially with it cut down.

The reversed louvers was something I had found on a pic of another car. It may (or may not) have been a mistake on the builder's part, not sure...... but I found it kinda interesting.

I'll reverse them and maybe add a few rows on the hood top.

25. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Well, that, my friend, is exactly what it should be.........somebody else's!

26. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Louvers done.....

[​IMG]

27. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

^ slots to match the grill instead of louvers?

28. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Original or not, I liked it from the get go.

I have NO metal skills, but the frame curve hidden behind the left front wheel sure looks more like a manufactured line, rather than something banged out of Joe Rat Rod's garage.

Paint the wheel spokes black, wide whites, I like the tomato soup red interior, and it may be too much, but my eye keeps following the louvers to the windshield. Maybe extend the louvers on the other side of the hood onto the cowl? Maybe not, my eye keeps going there though. ;) The louvers really go with that grille. Thanks Ruben.

29. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

The Photoshop version is starting to look pretty nice, maybe too nice for the original. Isn't the grille sitting on the floor in the original photo?

30. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Yeah, the grille was sittin on the ground.

Here, I cut it down, extended the frame, moved the pass. headlight over and added different wheels/tires.

[​IMG]

Don't know if this thread will stay open for too long, so I'll just quit with this last image.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013