Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford 5-window... to chop or not to chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sluggo1936, Jan 31, 2013.

1. onegalonly

onegalonly

i like the chopped look on the 35-36 fords. only about 2" though.. then lower it in the rear and throw some skirts on it

2. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

like chopped cars[some] like 36 5-windows[have one]

but have never seen a chopped 36 5-w I like

have you ever looked at a car a wonder,how much did it cost to fuck that up

3. 4rod

4rod

Saxon could this template be used on later fords? say 46-48 business coupes? don't mean to hijack this thread...

4. I would not chop. i have seen a chopped parked next to a stock and the stock looks a lot better. A friend said the chopped looked like a gun turret on an army tank.

5. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Always ALWAYS....... chop!
    Everything looks better lower!

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

7. I've been told you need to move the rear of the roof forward when you chop one to get the proportions right. They are probably one of the few years that can pass as custom or a hot rod and do it well.
    I always figured you could bag the rear of a 36 and lower it and run skirts or raise it up with the skirts off and have the best of both worlds.

8. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Lines are fine the way it is. Play with suspension wheel sand tires.

9. chopd54

chopd54

I have a lot interest in this post due to just buying a 36 5 window within the last week. I guess I dont understand a 36 5 window not looking good shopped. I think its like just about any chop, if you dont do it right it looks terrible. I think these 5 windows look great chopped..

10. I'm not denying the talent it took to do these below but, IMHO, they look like someone sat on the roofs and squashed them. The quarter windows and back of the roofs look funny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ones below seem to be dead on and I actually like them better that stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35 3wd and The Rabbit Whippet's cars look great too. You gotta get that 1/4 window that the rear of the roof right and they nailed it.

JH

11. chopd54

chopd54

I love Kevins car.. I am going to about 3 inch chop on mine but it is more of a project, not a prestine car to start with. But back to the original post with that nice of a car to start with, I would leave it..

12. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

Why not get it running, and drive it for a year then decide,

13. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Put a properly chopped 36 5W next to a stock car, the decision is obvious.....get the hack saw out :)

I regret not chopping my 3W..... now that roof is filled and the interior is done, it would be way too much work/money to do it now.

The chop decision is even more obvious with a roadster... and I am glad I did chop mine .....

14. Old Fords do not need modifications to look good. They are just plain awesome stock and most people say they are sorry for cutting up a Chevy. Why not cut up a Chevy first and see how you feel about that in a few years. I think you will be sorry you cut up the old Chevy. They can cut and bend a GM car or Chrysler and they will never look as good as a stock old Ford.

15. WTF did you just say?!?!?!? :confused::confused::confused:

JH

16. I've had my 36 Ford since 1984 and like the lines. If that car were mine too, I wouldn't chop it.

17. This is a paraphrase of what I said .Do not cut up the old Ford. Other makes you can cut and it is not a big deal but you might regret cutting a non Ford up in a couple of years too.:D After you get some mental help for feeling guilty for cutting up the non old ford you will realize your thoughts of the past were way out of bounce.:eek:

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I didn't take the time to read this whole thread...

I'll just give you my opinion. 5 windows look best to me unchopped. I've seen a lot of chopped 5 windows, very few that I liked.

3 windows on the other hand, I think look amazing chopped.

In the end it's what you like.

19. chopd54

chopd54

No brainer for me.. Id take the one on the left.

Attached Files:

20. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

nice either way, if it were mine, no chop

21. I'd say no chop...

22. I would not buy a chopped car or chop a car. I would take the one on the right in post 109. Some other manufactured cars need little windows to distract from other poor design lines.

Chopped three windows look worse because they look like a gun turret on a tank. All you have to do is add the barrel.

23. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

For me personally I lean toward unchopped. But I love the Ron Guidry 1936 Ford. Does anyone have info on the car except the stuff on kustomrama? i love it. I wish their were more pics of cars with an unfilled roof.

24. Chopping an old Ford is like getting a tattoo. You thought it was a great idea when you did it but now you regret the stupid thought. Personally, I have never saw a tattoo that looks better than plain skin. Getting rid of the tattoo is hard and expensive and un- chopping an old Ford is too.

25. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

CHOP... let someone else have it stock......

26. Chop it! But not to much just so the top flows with the body a little more.

27. That is like getting a little tattoo. No chop and no ink is the way to go.

28. fatkoop

fatkoop

Yep, there are a few 5 windows out there that look really good chopped, but there are a WHOLE LOT of them that look like shit. Same with '40 coupes. Now, '36 3 windows, that's a different story!

29. uncle buck

uncle buck

my thoughts exactly........

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)No need to chop it , enjoy it.:cool::D