Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do I really need disc brakes on my '58 Caddy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie T, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

I'm thinking of putting a set of disc brakes on the front of my '58 Caddy. I just rebuilt all the cylinders and it stops really good but I heard that disc brakes are better. What say you? Thank You.

Lou

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

No, you don't have to have disc brakes, a 58 Cad had decent ones...

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You don't need them. Discs will stop you shorter and will not fade as easily. If you keep this in mind and don't outdrive your brakes you will be fine.

Specifically, do not ride the brakes when descending a long hill. Shift to a lower gear and let the engine slow you down. The rule is use the same gear going down as you would use going up. And, leave a little extra room on the highway between you and the car ahead.

4. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Ok. Thank you guys. I really appreciate the input.

5. Hyfire

Hyfire

I've got a 1957 and 1958. The stock brakes work great. I live at the foot of a mountain and have to drive up and down to go anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate to keep the brakes stock. Now the MC may be a different story. A dual may be worth considering. Just for safety's sake. Up to you. Mine are stock singles, but if I put any serious miles on I might upgrade the MC to dual.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

don't need them...

7. I only install disk because my fronts drums where frozen to the brake pads. I had to brake the drums just to get them off. My bud has a 56 and been driving with all drums for 3 yrs and has no issues. So get them or don't. Their not required for daily uses.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need, maybe, maybe not. It is not your driving I'm worried about. How are the drivers in your area. In the SF Bay Area, you can't leave extra following distance. Open up 4 extra feet, and someone will cram in there. Remember, the clown who jams on the brakes in front of you might have ABS, electronic stability control, 20-caliper pistons, gripping huge rotors, and zero situational awareness.

I parked my '60 Falcon, until I could put in power discs, the day that I stopped <2" from the back of a brand-new McLaren MP4-12C Spider (all carbon and exotic metal, $270,000) that abruptly changed lanes into in front of me, and power stopped, behind the car that I was already under hard-braking to avoid hitting, at a slammed dead-stop, on the freeway, for no reason I could detect.

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

Nah. I keep up just fine in daily traffic in my 61 with drums. Just don't "overdrive" your brakes like everyone else has said and you'll be good.

My drums do fine in city traffic, but I make sure to keep a good following distance while driving. No issues with fade or anything.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Are discs better? Yes. Do you need them ? Not necessarily. No question discs afford better braking but if you rebuild and maintain your drum brakes they can be just fine. That is where most people screw up, they just don't do the complete brake job the first time and they do not adjust and repair them as they wear.

You have to remember that in 58 these were the brakes we drove around on every day and on long trips. Traffic has gotten heavier so you have to be more careful and not get into panic stop situations, but otherwise they will stop that tank very well.

Don

11. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I'll echo gimpyshotrods. It really depends on where you live and how folks drive. Most people around the Bay Area seem to think they NEED to have their foot on one of the pedals, or both, at all times.

Drum brakes can just be as effective in a daily driver as modern discs. But it doesn't really matter how big or badass your brakes are if the tires have no grip.

Only thing with drums is the self adjusters can wear out or become gummed up. Well maintained linkage and some decent shoe material will keep the Caddy stopping for miles.

If this is a daily, I would opt to change to a split circuit two piston MC for a bit of added safety. No need to add a proportional valve as the factory brakes were already proportioned at the wheel cylinder sizes.