Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History help older Custom 1949 Merc convertt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, Jun 16, 2013.

1. We got this older custom 1949 mercury convert from an very good and old friend Bill Papke just before he passed. We did not get a chance to get much info from Bill on his merc as he passed right after we bought it. It appears to be a real factory convert and is very solid. All the mods appear to be done buy someone with good skills and all the body mod's are finished in lead. It is powered by a 429 Ford and per Bill it is a SCJ that came out of a 1970 cyclone spoiler and the merc was built in the mid 70's back east. The front suspension clip is installed very nicely and looks like it could be from a 70's ford/merc but not sure. The dash and seats are on the ugly side and most likely from a 70's merc but we plan to put a 49 merc dash back in and redoing the interior. Also the tail light are from a mustang and we will be changing them to our frenched bubble style asap. We did find a 1983? World Fair decal on the windshield so hopefully some one might have some info or even an old pic or two of it.

Gb & Thanks, The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

2. The World's Fair was held in Knoxville,Tenn. in 1982. If the car came from back east it may have been built in Tenn. or western N.C.

3. hank50car thanks for the info. We are fairly sure the world fair decal is from 1983. Bill did tell us this merc and the builder was well known in the back east crowd. You would think a chopped 1949 merc convert with a power folding rag top should of got some interest back then. Hopefully someone on here will remeber this one.

Gb & Thanks, The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

4. Saw it when Papke had it. What a horrible build! Hopefully you will save that Merc from it's 80's Streetrod past Rick. Does the owner want to make it look more like a period Custom? I saw it for sale,but thought the price was WAY out of reality.
    What's the plans for it?

5. Hey BB, Yes the 80's were hard on customs but atleast this one was built with good solid skills. We are the owner's and this will be our new daily to replace our old daily driven 80's built purple 49 merc. We plan to change the tail light, dash, interior, repaint and install our air suspension under it.

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

All I know about the Merc is that I really like it. Goodonya.

7. Ah, the interior isn't that bad... :) Get rid of the faux wood, chrome plated plastic, digital clock, velour material that all scream late 70s Detroit cheesiness and it'd look pretty good. A more period-correct steering wheel and some nice engine-turned inserts would do wonders....

The taillights gotta go though....

8. Awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'd die to have a Merc Convertable!!!

9. Still no one on here remembers this merc ?????

10. customcory

customcory

I'm from the area that you speak of, and I don't remember it, I remember my Mercs.

11. Thanks customcory. Any one ells ????

12. Still no one ?????? Am i in the wrong place i though this was the great hamb or what.