Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Impala Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

again thanks guys =) let me know if you do and what youre asking for them, I could use them for an idea Ive been playing with in my head

2. gallogiro

gallogiro

I hope it does it. if not, when you say easy to drop in do you mean the gears alone or are you talking about the whole rear end? what im trying to avoid is tearing apart my whole rear end to swap out the whole differential and have to weld new mounts and brackets to the new one. and thanks bro, its the love for these classics that drives me =)

3. gallogiro

gallogiro

im new to airbags so this confuses me, but if it does, it happened to me. ive never heard of it before, but after I bagged mine and left it overnight slammed, woke up with a pool of diff case oil. and before that it never even leaked a drop. im not saying bagging it caused it, but I don't see anything else that could have done it. I hope that's not it and wont be an issue where every time I drop it I damage the seal. and I see its happened to other guys on here so I wasn't alone. going to take care of that this week see how I resolve that issue

4. Setting it down changes the pinion angle some, I believe, maybe it just ran out the front. Yes, there's a seal there, but it's old and who knows if it was good or not beforehand.

5. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Great car, I hope to own one before I die..

6. The axles unbolt from the housing, 4 bolts each side and axles slide out then the center section bolts need to be removed and the entire center section will come out as a assembly. Hit the library for a manual or talk to the guys over at chevytalk.com they will probably hav3 thread with pics. Good luck!

7. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Looking Good Gallo! Now lets see pics with the bumper kit on ;)

8. cakes

cakes

Seriously amazing build. Your attention to detail is second to none. Well done!

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

yea it ran out the front of the diff where the shaft connects. im replacing the seal this week, but never done it before so I hope I get it right. do I have to remove the back plate? yea huh? the last thing I need is the back of it leaking now, don't know if it uses a gasket. when I was redoing the bottom of the car I was told don't touch a single bolt on the diff case cover, so now im worried. but ill see on wed how that goes

10. gallogiro

gallogiro

I thought that too, since the high price of them finished was way out of my budget. look at what this one ended at on mecum a month ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those numbers are discouraging but if you buy a decent project for under 8gs, flat paint it and drop a running 350 and some Mexican blankets and youre on the road for under 12gs and will still look decent. in some car scenes, show ready :D

if those are your cars in your avatar, if you can have those, you can definitely have one of these. just one of those are worth about one of these in my condition atleast :)

11. gallogiro

gallogiro

cool hell yea, thanks bro. i will check that out since i have to tackle that diff issue this week. as for posi rear ends, do they all fit or is there a specific one i have to use? i see some for corvette, some off later impalas and some off other chevy models. and for a ford rear end, i have to swap out whole differential, the gears wont just drop in will they? thanks for the info, learning as i go

12. gallogiro

gallogiro

thank you. what i like is that people message me telling me it helped them or got them motivated and back in theyre garages seeing you don't need to have a shop to do the work themselves :)

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

that is happening on Thursday ;) bumper kit is going permanently but the face will be mocked up, haven't painted it yet that will be next sunday. as for the spare, i have to find the right tire because not any wheel will hold the face and wheel ring. check in Thursday :cool: and congrats on your ford, that thing is bad ass, want one after these builds

14. Nightshade

Nightshade

I haven't posted in a while but wanted to say I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing what you are doing with the car, excellent build thread thanks for posting it.

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Go man, go. Subscribed. Your attention to detail is admirable.

16. Great build and a great thread. Like Chip Foose saids "pay attention to the details". You get a "10" . You are a very talented man. The car is a knock out. I too think she looks better w/o the skirts. However she is a cooooooooooooooool ride man!

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks guys. prepping the face plate in the morning to paint it since im ready to drop the kit on the bumper. hope to have it installed by Thursday with faceplate painted and ready to go =)

18. TimGood

TimGood
    from SoCal

yea i got a '60 biscayne

19. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

20. gallogiro

gallogiro

thats cool, a friend of mine had a really nice 60 Biscayne but didn't want to sell to me so I went off looking for my own wing car. he ended up ruining it by wanting to drop it but didn't know how to cut or heat the springs, and couldn't afford the airbags so he did what he thought was a good idea, pull the rear springs out completely and let the car ride on the differential on the rubber bumpers. it looked cool but boy did it ride rough, felt every rock and crack on the road. one night he was coming back home from the bar and somehow the e brake cable caught on the rear axle or drum and engaged the e brake and shot straight into a field off to the right. car was done after that. I got his number if any of you need your cars dropped, think he charges 5 bucks for the job.

did some work on my 48 and some on this one. the bumper kit should be on by wed nite ill post pictures. and again thanks guys.

21. gallogiro

gallogiro

got my bad front plate restored, got it in this week.

how it looked before the back one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im painting my 48 this week, by wed im back on the 59 while the 48 dries I plan to have the bumper kit installed

22. 59 brook

59 brook

eaton makes a posi unit and was almost the same as rebuilding a stock posi

my wagon is bagged and I wound up with a rear telescoping driveshaft section. the factory setup can deal with a factory suspension byt the added travel in bags or hyd. will blow out the factory rear or carrier bearing. something will fail

23. rld14

rld14

Wow, this is an astonishing build and I can't wait to see it finished.

Nice attention to detail, you've really done a hell of a job on this car.

24. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

You were truly born to do this. Loved your 48 build and now this one. Really inspiring. I love your passion for every little detail and the excitement for the stuff like the old Chevy commercials, records, and even the little rocket gizmo.

I wish you were my neighbor, and if you were my neighbor, you'd probably wish you weren't...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  25. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks jefe, when you have love for these cars it inspires the best out of us. ill be back on this and finish it in about a week when im done with my 48

26. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Did you put your trim on around the drip rail yet? If you have pictures of how
    you installed that trim please post them. Can't figure out how they install.

27. gallogiro

gallogiro

not yet bro, but will soon. wrapping up final things on 48 and its done. and in 2 weeks when it is, 59 will finally get back on track and get finished. going to hit it full force again starting with new paint job, and flakes =D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 weeks, repaint starts and build continues, just have to wrap up final things on 48 and this is back on, and better than before =)

28. gallogiro

gallogiro

I am hearing the best way to spray metal flake if youre not an expert is to dry spray it with one of these

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLAKE-BUSTE..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5af3d13980&vxp=mtr

or this one

[​IMG]

http://www.limebug.net/product/view/202/ed-roth-bazooka-flake-paint-gun

that one calculated to dollars is 160 bucks. and theres this one too which is the cheapest at 85 bucks shipped

[​IMG]

it sprays it dry on wet intercoat clear, so you have more control over how much flake is in the paint and get an even coverage. and this way you wont worry about drips or runs ruining it all. a bigger version of this

[youtube]saA15XlQfQ0[/youtube]

so you can get one for about 160 bucks. or if you take a good look at the pictures, just get this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-Pneum..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0642b37b&vxp=mtr

for 15 bucks. just buy a regulator to screw on the base and set the regulator at about 10psi and play with it till you get the spray you want, but its about 10psi. then just mikey mouse a jar at the bottom and youre set. I already started to prep the 59 for its repaint, will start really soon

29. My paint job, you can see the lines in the paint. Like, it's multiple lines. Yea it was rattle can but I wouldn't expect it to be like that...would a light sanding and then an application of clear coat take that away? Wouldn't hurt to try, right?