Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fathers Day - Was Your Dad A Car Guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Offset, Jun 14, 2013.

1. my dad was not a car guy back in 74 my wife needed his wagon it was a 66 Belair had 6 with 3 speed and manual steering he took my 65 gs 401 4 speed he said he would not drive it again because people wanted to race him he passed away 4 years later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. oldsman41

oldsman41

my dad and all my uncles were car nuts. i can remember from an early age those guys always working on something in each others garage.

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Not a car guy but I remember going to the drags a few times with him.
    Later, he would just drop me & a friend off & pick us up at night when it was all over.
    I lost him to cancer in 1968.
    The last several years he was sick & suffered a lot.

4. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Nope, not even close. He bought what ever was cheap and drove them into the ground, always bought the cheapest car he could find. Had a lot of Mopars cause they could be bought cheaper than any thing else, seemed to outlast everything else too. Guess that's why I like them so much.

R.I.P. Dad.

5. flyin-t

flyin-t

Yes he was.
    Me and dad in '59.
    [​IMG]

6. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

He always liked a nice car but never looked at high performance cars. Till............I was able to guide him. That was at the early age of 12 believe it or not. I steered him towards a 64 Ford Galaxy 500 XL with a 390 Police Intercepter engine. Turned out to be the car I learned to drive on and learned how to do burn outs. He;s been gone 30 yrs and I miss him every day RIP Dad

7. Great picture .

8. tjm73

tjm73

My dad is a car guy and so is my Uncle and my other Uncle was too. My Father has had more cool cars pass through his hands than I can count. None HMAB cars per se, but some highlights, '64 Riv, '32 Auburn Boattail Speedster, '31 Cord L29, '40 Packard, '56 Bel-Air convertible, '47 Ford V8 convertible, '56 Packard Caribbean, '67 or '68 Shelby GT500 automatic convertible, '68 Mustang GT convertible, '71 Boss 351, Mach 1 Mustangs, and many more. I don't know what his current collection is even. I think it's around a dozen cars, maybe more. Gonna take my daughter and go say hey Sunday.

9. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

Yup..my dad started my car obsession.. Im almost done building my 1940 sedan. My dad had a 1934 4door when I was around 10... he lost it in a divorce.. and 25 years later I helped him build one back to stock. It was great to see him drive it and smile...He got his baby back!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Its all his fault! Hope to be blamed for this by my son one day...he's already on his way at age 9.

11. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Well put HRP. My Dad has been gone 20 years already and he was a 57 Chevy owner several times among other models. He contributed very much to my love of cars. Thanks Dad.

12. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Nope... Dad wasn't, but Grandpa was. Dad would break shit, Grandpa would fix it.

RIP to both of them. Different strokes for different folks.

13. fredmotorco

fredmotorco

My dad appreciates cars, but my grandfather is responsible for my obsession.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

my DAD got me into this car mess,raceing all his life.I miss the ole man alot

15. My dad loved old cars. He would go with me to Hershey each year and we had a blast He loved to ride with me to go after parts or cars. We use to go to some old Ford dealers and he would help me load the stuff in my truck. I sure do miss him we worked alot in the shop together. He had a good trip he was 90 when he pass.

16. big creep

big creep

no not at all, my dad was born in a third world country, cars were only for the well too do. but im his car guy, i was the go too guy to fix his ride when it broke down. and i still have him around...i love that guy!

17. Still is, infact hes up at the shed as we speak working on the rear radius rods for the bucket.
    Hes one hell of a guy and immensly talented, My obsession with cars is a direct result of his love for them as well. Hes also on the hamb, signed him up a coulpe of weeks back.

18. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

He's the reason I know anything about cars. Knows every 50's and 60's cars. He always wanted a certain '58 Chevy, but never did anything about it. A few years ago, I called the guy whose field it had been parked in. He said "crushed about 20 years ago." All my life I heard how he wanted it, but didn't do anything. So when my '54 came around, I wasn't ready to buy b/c of finances. But said I'm not going to spend my whole life talking about it and not buying it. So I bought it. I wish I would have listened more when he tried to me shit back in the day though. He completely rebuilt my first vehicle: OT '79 Ford F250 from ground up. I helped very little other than paying for it. Now I call him all the time to ask questions. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about cars.

19. hwscowboy

hwscowboy

My dad was more of a sports car guy,austin healeys,especially.But at 14 years old he bought me a 200 dollar 53 chevy and taught me how to fix it and get it running and driving.Alot I learned from trial and error and making a mess in his garage and tool box but he never got mad.He said the 53 would be the only car he would ever buy me and I was on my own to buy,fix,sell and upgrade from there.He also laughs everytime he looks at his garage floor cause he can tell the color of all the cars I painted in there from the outlines of parts on the floor.I still have and use some of his millwrighting tools he gave to me as well as some of my grandpas(he was a tool and die maker)As much as he probably shakes his head at the time and money I spend on my old cars he always asks what i'm workin on now.My brother turned into a computer guy who can't/won't even change his own oil.I thank my father all the time for teaching me the basics and sending me on my way with an encouraging kick in the arse when I needed it.

20. wex65

wex65
    from WV

My dad is THE anti-car guy, hates them. Never even learned to drive although in rural Ireland it never was a big deal.

I have brought him over here every year the last 13 years and each time all I hear is "you bought ANOTHER car?!". Took him out in the 55 Buick this last time, he seemed to like it.

As HRP says, cherish the time you have...I know I do.

21. This is Word! Heed to it!:( The day shortly before the end that I "officially" handed him the keys to his "new" truck.

Attached Files:

22. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad is surely a car guy. Worked on an A/FD in the 60's and 70's and is currently building a 41 Willys. A great dad and a hell of a car guy.

23. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My dad is the one totally responsible for me being bitten by the car bug. He put me in the front seat to steer that old 48 chevy business coupe as they(my dad and uncles) pushed it out from between the fence and a house. I still remember the ugly piss yellow ford pickup with the red taonneau cover that he towed that car home with. he had a 55 cameo pickup, a 58 Impala, several 60-66 chevy pickups that he built and all of them were drivers. Not only did he do the wrench turning but he did the body work as well. All of which he taught me:D. He passed in November My mom gave me the car to complete, I have not towed it up from central oregon yet, still a little too soon, but it will be finished. Its very cool to actually own the actual car that started this life long love of cars.

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Pop, not so much, but both grandfathers were, thank goodness. I can remember him telling me that if I brought anything else home, it had better run or be able to be carried on my back. Way back when, we were going to build a car together someday, But as the song goes, someday never comes.

Lost him last Halloween, gonna be a really different Father's Day this year.

25. teejay99

teejay99

Some nice tributes here ........my late father ( 30 years ago ) didn't live with me ( divorce ) but my visits with him brought me around to the love and respect he had for cool , performance cars . He was always a Ford man and my early love for Chevys eventually gave way to Ford ...still am a Ford guy . Thanks Dad .

T

26. Dave_Lantto

Dave_Lantto

Great stories everyone. My Dad was kind of a car guy when I was a toddler, he had a '57 Chevy Stepside with a 6, split manifold and Porters, a '62 Impala SS, and a black '63 Impala SS 409! He had the 409 only a few months...the faster the speedometer went up, the faster the gas gauge went down! He could've bought a nearly new split window Corvette, too, but decided to have me instead. He did teach me basic car maintenance and other life lessons that I won't forget. I remember back in the mid-70s, I begged him to take me to Back to the 50s, and we wound up going for many years. I lost my Dad to pancreatic cancer 3 years ago, and miss him every day. I never had a hot rod of my own until recently...I decided no more thinking about it, just do it. Great advice HRP! Happy Father's Day to all the father's out there...hope you all enjoy your special day!

27. brad2v

brad2v

He sure was, and is still. Not as kooky as his #1 son mind you, but a car guy. And undoubtedly the initial reason I have this illness. Thanks Pop!

28. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My dad wasn't much of a car guy during my lifetime, but I was a late addition. He was born in 1935 and by his mid teens had access to old cars for really cheap cause they were considered junkers. As I understand it, he and a few buddies would pitch in and buy a Model A or some other and run it around until it was completely dead or crashed too bad to move.

I know he had about a 60 Falcon back when they were new, I remember him telling me he got it with bucket seats in the front to keep his wife off of him, they had 3 kids already....

He had a 66 Chevelle he bought new, 283/4 speed car, I came home from the hospital in it in 1974.

There was an MG in there before I was born, after his first wife, before he and my mom got married. Then in 1972 he and my mom bought a new 240Z. I just passed that on to my brother earlier this year.

Cars were more than just transportation to him, but not with the enthusiasm I have had for them since I was born. He's been gone 2 years now, and I still miss him. Enjoy your dads, guys. I'm doing my best to infect my kids with the disease we call cars, but even if they don't get it, I still love them.

Devin

29. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

My Dad was THE CAR GUY! He owned a body shop and I have fond memories of him rebuilding T's and A's in the home garage, peeling out in a 69 Firebird and even riding a few bikes. I have a photo on our wall of me, about 5 years old, beside a wrecked 5 window coupe. He repaired, refurbished and painted all our 1st cars for us and I worked there for years afterwards - until he died in my early 20's.

30. henry29

henry29

My dad will be 77 this year, and he's really my best friend.

He is just as big of a car nut as I am, and he still has a 57 chevy hardtop he's had for nearly 20 years.
    He bought a white 57 2dr hardtop powerpack car brand new, and has loved them ever since.