Register now to get rid of these ads!

6v vs 12v

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brooksinc1976, Jun 13, 2013.

1. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Got a 53-210 with the original 6v system. Keep it or upgrade to 12v? Why/why not? I recently bought some one else's project ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371181623.501175.jpg
    So I think it's safe to say I have time to decide...
    Is there a kit that converts everything or do I have to bottleneck at all the original items like the gauges. As a base like for now I want to keep the st. 6 and have an air bag sys. On my wish list down the road. Thx

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. fordor41

fordor41

Brighter lights, most modern accessories are 12V. Hell of a lot easier finding parts that are 12V than 6V, especially if away from home. As far as changing to 12V, 12V bulbs, Battery, gauges can be made to operate on 12V with a 12-6V reducer, Swap 6V gen for a 12V unit or go with an alternator. Stock wiring will work with 12V. Even if's pos ground just change to neg ground. It's one of those projects that once you start you must complete entire process, batt,gen and bulbs.

3. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

That's the way I was leaning especially since the previous owner who took the Lego set apart just cut the wires "near" their end. I think my biggest concern was adapting the old gauges with a new system.

4. You can get 12-6v droppers from Chevs of the forties, you will need one for each 6v accessory you want to use. Or you can make a 6volt electronic regulator, and run your 6 volt stuff off that.
    Your 6volt starter will spin happily on 12Volts, as long as you dont sit there cranking for an hour.

5. go 12v. easier jump starts and batt replacement on the side of the road.
    did it to my 50 chevy. pretty easy. mainly swap in alternator, they sell the brackets, swap battery, and bulbs. the fuel gauge is the only one you really have to worry about. temp, oil and speed are mechanical.
    i converted my starter to 12v, had it rebuilt.
    and if you want to run bags then you will need 12v to run those pumps...

6. High5

High5

If you intend to drive the car alot, convert it. Brighter lights, easier starting, parts replacement more plentiful, all bolt on stuff so if you wanted to convert it back to stock, you can. Drove a '54 Chevy for years with a converted system and never regreted it.

National Chevy Association has kits. They aren't cheap, so you may want to search around for other possibilities (Ebay?). Here's a link:

http://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/2430_3

Good luck with your project.

7. Styleliner

Styleliner

Most of the older 6 volt cloth wrapped wiring is in tatters anyway. I replaced my 1949 chevy 6v wiring harness with a 1980 Chevy van harness. Surprisingly simple but took a few days. Very little of the 6 volt accessories will be used on my car.... I replaced bulbs and headlights. Also now I have a fuse box... Many extra leads, ... But I also am using the 350 motor from the van as well. If and When you disconnect wiring from a donor be sure to mark ever single wire and plug with what it went to... Then there will be no need for diagrams. Oh yeah, go 12 volt just for cheaper repairs, better accessories and ease of maintenance. If you have money to burn eBay has many universal new wiring harnesses that include a fuse box

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  8. Brighter lights,,if nothing else.

Price a 6 volt batter lately?,,they are expensive! HRP

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

So are the dozen volt varieties! Most dozen volt battrees are at least a C note.

10. A Boner

A Boner

12v is twice as good as 6v

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Brighter lights is B.S.
    My brother has a 41 Chevy, original 6 volts and with the old wires, the lights were low and it would turn over slow but once he replace the wires, no more dim lights and starts up easy.
    Car companies switched to 12 volts because the cars needed more power for new power windows, seats, AC etc..............etc..........so unless you need the power, 6 will work fine. It's like Alternators vs Generators, unless you really need the amps, Generators work fine on a old car.
    The bottom line, if you want 12, go for it but there is nothing wrong with 6 on a old car that's O.G.

12. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Cool thx for the responses. I know I have to replace all the wires I think I need to do my homework and see how much mo 12v is.

13. Worth every penny, starts faster and lights you can actually see with.

14. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Maybe my eyes are better than I think. Headlamps on my 6 volt car are plenty bright. I really don't notice them being any dimmer than some of my 12 volt rigs. I would only convert if I were adding a lot of accessories.

15. jkeesey

jkeesey

The lights on my Model A 6v are just as bright as the 12v ones in my Buick wagon. The only reason I would go to 12v would be the availability of replacement parts on the go. I get my 6v batteries for $80 but I have no idea where I'd get one if I was out of town.