Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Buick super "Museum like" Barn find=perfect driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tatzandrodz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Tatzandrodz

Tatzandrodz
    from Maryland

You guys would like to die. I came across a 1950 buick super sedan that is in such immaculate condition it is worthy to be saved for a museum one day. There is nothing wrong with it for being 63 years old. A eldery lady use to drive her mother around in it and it has been stored indoors and away from mice and everything. its drving life ended in 1983. The woman has now passed and the nephew is selling it. it will be here sunday evening. the paint shines (when you wipe the dust off) everything works. the welting and all weather strip is like new the headliner and the door panels look like they have not been breathed on. The car is covered in 30 year old dust!!

I would love to know how do i go about washing a car like this to get the 10ft deep dust off? The nephew had the gas tank claned and dipped. Fuel line ran, carb sonic cleaned, fuel filter changed and it starts and purs like a kitten. He even drove it a short distance. it is a super 4 door sedan, but how do i know what motor it has in it? i believe it has the 263 I8 but i am not sure. Also anyone that could lead me or give me tips on my goal would be great. I want to be able to drive it as a cruiser. the interior is gold, body, gold, paint perfect in my goal, etc. any info on this car and type of car would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Man, a picture would be killer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. kennb

kennb

This is nothing without pictures. Ken

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

According to my reference books, a 1950 Super (Model 50) is equipped with the 263 engine.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Ray

5. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

FNG with no pictures? Didn't happen.

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Yea, whatever.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T&R, forgive the small-minded comments from the Negative Nancys. Their mommys didn't breast-feed them long enough or somethin'...lol. They like to give the new guys like you a hard time, 'cause you're an easy target and it makes them feel like big boys...lol. "Yeah whatever"??? That's extremely lame. We do get trolls on here from time to time, so that can be partly the reason for the "standoffishnessism"...they think you might be fakin'. I don't think you are, and I appreciate your enthusiasm. And you did your introduction and filled out your profile. That shows respect for the forum. Good man. I assume you haven't included pics, because you don't have the car home yet. Just post pics when you get it home, and then after you clean 'er up. Congratulation on your new old Buick!

Your two main questions (looked at your introduction) seem to be how to give the car its first bath, and how to get Hamb tags. And Ray is correct that your engine is a 263.

You get a Hamb tag when you become an alliance member. It costs only $50 a year, and Ryan (the founder of this forum) will send you a tag in the mail. Your name goes from black to red. But most importantly, you get major discounts from the alliance vendors. You can easily pay for you alliance membership with your savings.

Best to not rub the car with all the dust and grime on it. Hose it off, and after it's insured and registered/plated, take it to the quarter car wash and give it a good power wash. Then you can start scrubbing.

Plenty of info on old Buicks on the net. Just do a search. There are forums for only Buicks. I've had a few, and I can tell you a few things.

I assume it's got an automatic trans, since it was a woman's car. It's called a Dynaflow. Start off in D and it really doesn't shift...the vanes in the pump (kinda like a torque converter, but not) change pitch to change the torque multiplication. But you can "power shift" if you want for a more aggressive take-off, by starting out in low, then shifting manually. But this aint no hot rod, so go easy...be nice to the old girl. Enclosed driveshaft. (torque tube) Coil suspension front and rear. If it was highly optioned, it might have power windows and/or power seats. If it does, they are hydraulically accuated. The heater is under the front seat on the passenger side. Your side rear windows don't slide straight down...they pivot down. Out of all the Buicks of this style...'49 through '52...yours has the most massive grill teeth, going over the front bumper. Your hood has combination hinges/latches on both sides of the hood, and opens sideways. There are two hood release cables under the dash on each side. If you want to open the passenger side, you pull the passenger side cable, and vicy vercy. There's a prop rod at the center rear of the hood to hole up the hood regardless of which way you open it. Be careful!!!...the hood can bite you. Being a Super, it's the shortest of the Buick models of the era. Century and Roadmaster were longer, and used the big 320ci engine. No, a 320 won't fit in your car. The shocks are lever type. They normally take hydraulic fluid, but the seals get brittle...especially since it's been sitting for a long time...and they'll leak. Probably best to find a way to add brackets and modern tube shocks. You can easily remove the rear shocks, but not the fronts since they are also the upper A-arm pivot. But they still need to be lubricated even if you add tube shocks, so fill 'em with grease...and then they won't leak.

That's about all I can think of right now. Just do the normal checks and maintenance you'd do for any old car that hasn't been driven for a long time. Oil, coolant, tune-up parts, etc. Definitely check the brake system...master cylinder, lines, brake cylinders, shoes, drums and hardware. Grease the wheels bearings. Check for loose steering links, etc.

All the luck. Show pics when you can. Have fun. Post more questions if you have 'em.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah. You see that thingy on top the front of the roof? That's your antenna for the radio. There's a knob inside above the windshield to move it right and left. The idea is to help tune in the AM radio better. "Directional" tuning.

Or you can just put a flag on there and wave it...lol.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh...and you don't have lug nuts on the wheels. They're lug bolts. They'd be a pain in the ass, but luckily there's a locating pin in the brake drum that goes through a hole in the wheel to hold and locate the wheel/tire when you're putting it on. Best to have the pin at the top.

Another thought. I wouldn't depend on the tubes/tires that are on there now. They're too old. You need new tubes and tires.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're gonna know you're driving a REAL car when you drive this thing.

11. lazyworker

lazyworker
    from Tulsa, Ok

Congratulations on the car. Rickybop has some good tips. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Always keep a fire extinguisher handy when using these old cars with the existing wiring.

Please post some pictures when you can.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently, your Super could be the shorter 4dr "Touring Sedan" or the longer "Riviera" 4dr, depending on its wheelbase. I was not aware of this. I thought that "Riviera" for that era was the designation for the hardtop models only.

I was double checking the size of your engine, and read this. V V V

The Super was built on the same 121.5-inch wheelbase as the Special, and shared the same body. It was offered as a four-door Touring Sedan (Buick also used the term "Tourback" in the early Fifties), two-door Jetback, convertible, Estate Wagon with partial wooden body, and, for the first time, a Riviera hardtop coupe.

Another addition to the Super series for 1950 was an impressive-looking Riviera four-door sedan riding a longer 125.5-inch wheelbase and sharing its C-body with the Roadmaster. Priced at only $73 more than the Touring Sedan, it was twice as popular.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I would really like to see pics of this one. Sounds like a cool car.

14. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I used to have one of these with a six inch chop. Come to think of it, it might have been a '49. Man that thing was long and low . . .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not be negative, but the prime question seemed to be "How do I wash a car covered with dust." If that's the OP's biggest concern, I don't think a little skepticism is out of order. Especially without pictures.

Just say'n...

Brian

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

He wants to know how to wash dust off a car,has no pics and its a four door...has ass clown written all over it..so who gives a frogs fat ass about this ride or lack of one

17. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Please post pics thanks.

18. Fenders

Fenders

Are the lug nuts/bolts all right hand thread on this?
    I remember breaking a few off of an old Buick before the "duh" hit me...

19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Yea, whatever.

20. You gotta admit,,it sounds like a tall tale and lacking photos the Hamb membership smells BS. :rolleyes: HRP

21. oldskewl

oldskewl

Do most trolls pay to be an Alliance Member?

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I shall subscribe to this because I want to see pictures. We expect pictures on Monday. That gives you time to get it cleaned up. Before and after cleaning pictures are appreciated.

23. We are prone to be skeptical,,,it seem once a week someone come here what a tall tale and no photographic proof. HRP

24. oldskewl

oldskewl

I understand being skeptical, and so am I. I just wouldn't pay to be an Alliance member just to troll a site. Hoping for the best here, as well as some pics. :-D

25. What the hell are you talking about? :confused: HRP

26. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Pics on Mon? I cant wait.
    Can ya try Sun night?

Congrats! Even the Negative Nancy's are jealous.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

27. oldskewl

oldskewl

Guys are being skeptical of the OP. Would you pay to be an Alliance member just to troll a website??

28. oldskewl

oldskewl

Thank you CVD. That's the point I was trying to make. I know I'm just an FNG, so maybe I wasn't saying it right or in the most correct way.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Once in awhile a little of the "old HAMB" shows it's face. In the old days the guy would have been drawn and quartered by now and left in the sun to rot.

Frank