Register now to get rid of these ads!

Galaxie Stock Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stacked65, Nov 29, 2012.

1. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

2. nha

nha

That thing is one flat out bad mufugga. So cool.

Nice work.

3. Flybyford

Flybyford
    from NE Ohio

4. Stacked65

Stacked65

Well I a added some pictures that I took on Sunday the 9th still have not taken her out for an official cruise yet been to busy and dont have insured yet.
    This gives you a better view of all sides with the graphics.

Some new news you guys might kick out of.

I was doing some searches on the web for Mr. Gurney to see if he had a web forum or shop, well he does have a shop and is stil building cars called All American Racers out in California hint (AAR) http://allamericanracers.com/
    They build F1 and Indy cars I think the Rolex Cars also very big shop.
    Well I found a contact page and sent the shop an email to see if they would like to see pictures of the build from start to finish.
    I got a nice email back from the VP of the company and she said yes. so I sent about 30 images or so, she loved them.
    The icing on the cake she showed them to Mr. Dan Gurney himself he liked the build, they tried to call me at work on Wednesday but my luck I missed the call due to a meeting. She said he wrote me note and she sent in the mail Thursday.
    Man that is so cool the man who actually raced the # 28 Holman Moody Galaxie at Riverside liked my project build you cant get better feedback than that. When I get the note I will post a copy.
    Just thought I would share the news with you.

Attached Files:

5. Spork!

Spork!

Looks like Gurney's shop is about a mile from my office. When I get mine 63.5 done I'm going to take it over there and have him autograph the dashboard!

6. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Wow! Great job. I missed this thread initially but am glad I caught it tonight.

I was involved in the restoration of a Torino Talladega roundy rounder about 25 years ago and it was a fun deal. Your build brought back some memories :)

Al in TN

7. n847

n847

Thats awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

Great job. Looks better than anything I've seen on TV going round and round Sunday afternooon in years.

9. Stacked65

Stacked65

Updates to the ride over the past few months, went ahead and replaced the main rear brake line,
    Adjusted all the drums, bleed the brakes again.
    Decided to tone the open xhaust down added MagnaFlow glass packs andpicked up some backpressure which I gained about 500 - 800 rpms on the shifts motor runs good now and its a little quieter .
    No major driving due to the weather and work travel out of town.
    Only have about 150 miles on it so far.

Not sure ofwhat will happen next I am possibly debating maybe putting her up for sale who knows....

10. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Fantastic job. For some reason I missed it but enjoyed the read.

I'm in the finishing stages of a '64 Fairlane. It been built to resemble a barn find, survivor super/stock drag car.

My budget was similar to yours & I've had it out a few times like you.

Again - nice job.

11. typerr

typerr
    from Lakewood

I'm not surprised that Dan showed an interest in your very cool car. I've met him at the Cars & Coffee in Irvine and found him to be quite genuine and down to earth.

12. Stacked65

Stacked65

Well my Gurney Galaxie is going up for sale soon after I get back from my business trips.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Best of luck with that, it's been fun watching you put this together.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks so much for the story, Tony. We've enjoyed it immensely...thanks to your perseverence, the project went from start to finish.

(I hated the critique that infered this didn't belong on here, as did everyone else!)

I also have a '63-1/2 Galaxie, white...Building a 406 for it, but it's a slow project.
    I had entertained doing a Fred Lorenzen 'clone'...but have other projects ahead of it, so it'll just be a fast streeter.
    Your build kept me running back to check, it was excellent! Nice fixes on all the little problems, BTW.
    Do with what you have.

15. Stacked65

Stacked65

Thanks for the feedbacj who knows what I may do in a few weeks:)

16. Stacked65

Stacked65

The challenge with the build and car most of the real Stock Car fans are in the Carolinas even with Daytona only 90 miles away these types of cars are not identifiable to the younger generation that only sees template cars.
    Would be nice to see it go to a true fan and add it to there collection.

17. Stacked65

Stacked65

Had some inquiries about my car and I am kind of struggling with the asking price,
    again the idea is to sell her to get another four speed FE Galaxie and build my Moonshine car, need the cash for it cant go even trades need the good solid driver and some serious dollars to buy my parts and build the new toy. My mechanic jokes with me I enjoy the build more than the drive :)

18. mark schanfeldt

mark schanfeldt

Great story - building a theme car makes your efforts even more special.
    You done good, congrats.

19. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Question regarding your tires...
    I'm getting my Holman Moody {clone} wheels together. Have a set of new Michelin LTX tires for that old balloon sidewall look. You wrote somewhere that you removed the raised lettering and sprayed on old Firestone logos. What did you use to sand the sidewalls down and what was the end result finish like?
    I'd like to get that vintage look for the tires but I'm hesitant to grind up a new Michelin.

20. jesse1980

jesse1980

21. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Dude you are the man rebuilt the car I bought
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380933740.610291.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380933758.871006.jpg

Posted from Ar

22. Luther Grimace

Luther Grimace

Great build! You nailed the look!