Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford wheels, anyone make them ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rokkern, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

Looking for wheels on my model A. ´40, ´35, Kelsey Hayes.
    Anyone makes these new, and if so are they any good?
    I`ve looked at wheels vintigues site, but after a couple of minutes, they all look the same to me.
    What´s the closest wheel to the 1940 Ford in wheels vintigues line ?

2. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

Look at wheelsmith.net. they are in southern California.. I have 4 of them.. they can do any offset and different sizes and have 40 hubcaps and beauty rings...and can powder coat almost any color...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. casper

casper

4. In that line it is called the Gennie.

5. Yup. I have Wheel Vintiques "Gennie" wheels on my '40 truck with the original caps.

6. Hey Rokkern, Can,t you find any used wheels locally ? You will be paying a small fortune on shipping from the U.S.

7. Those "gennie" wheels are 15", aren't '40 wheels a 16"? At least, mine are?

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

They (wv) make 16's but there $pendy

9. The backs, on my truck, are WV Gennie 16x7's, with a 3.75" offset. I used 15x6's in the front.

10. verde742

verde742

40 's are 16 x 4 inch.. real narrow, I think if you buy Wheelsmith wheels, you have to buy "their HUBCAPS" A bummer, cause other after markets hubcaps, and stock ones, won't QUITE fit...

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

On my WV’s
    Original 40 caps fit but 48 merc caps will not push on all the way.
    Moral
    Check before you paint and put your tires on … as in as, soon as you pull one from the box

12. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

I can but they're not growing on trees. Sorry for the late reply, I somehow wasn't subscribing to this thread lol.

Found these locally (only 300miles away) I think they are cool.
    [​IMG]

@ 450 US dollars, car not included. But wheels, tires, hubcaps, and drums so they fit my model a is included. What do you think?

13. thequietwon

thequietwon

Sounds like a great deal to me...

14. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

They may be a great deal, but... They look like late '30s wide fives that don't fit a '40 Ford unless the drums come as part of the deal. '37-'39 drums fit early Ford axles OK. But these were not mentioned in your original post. What do you really need? Related wheels are extremely common considering the age.

15. thequietwon

thequietwon

He does say that drums come with the wheels...

16. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

It´s 39 ford wheels with drums for my 31 model A. I`ve given the seller a reasonable offer but haven´t heard from him. Hate when that happens, seldom turns out good for me.. Think I`ll just skip the "offer" part and just give him what he want´s.

17. I bought 16" Gennie wheels from Summit Racing so I could put my restored "Hollywood Flipper" caps on my '36...am very happy with them. They list a 16X4" wheel, I bought 16X 6", painted them red and added some Bob Drake beauty rings too...really looks like the wheels and caps we used back in the day!