Register now to get rid of these ads!

392 Hemi barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32highboy54, Jun 12, 2013.

1. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Just came across a 1958 392 the engine out of a imperial. Its pretty rusty.What would it cost to build it from top to bottom. I got for $100. The guy had it for 17 years and didn't want it sitting in his garage anymore. If I didn't want to rebuild it what could I sell it for on eBay. I know I got a great deal on it.

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

O,you dont want to rebuild that,ill give your money back and take that off your hands as soon as possible...hehe..

3. I've seen rusted solid core engines sell around here for $500-$1200.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I need to move there and sell parts.

5. That's 392's only 331 and 354s bring a lot less. For some reason those damn 392s bring a premium around here.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. rld14

rld14

Last I priced 392 parts at Kanter (and I didn't bother to check and see if they were competitive or the place to go or not) the rebuild master kit was around $1800, plus rebuilt rocker assemblies converted to adjustable was $800 or so, plus a cam, rods, pushrods, etc.

I figured $3-4k in parts, plus machine work if it needs everything. Of course you don't know what it needs till you tear it down but, like MELs, these are among the pricier 50s engines to rebuild.

Still, for $100 you're not going to get hurt at ALL! Buy it!!!

7. George

George

A typical core 392 is around 2K, not sure what you mean by "rusty", but if it's been sitting with water in it that has probably pitted cyl walls a substantial reduction of price would be called for. But @ $100 you would make good money parting it out. If you've been wanting a Hemi a 392 for nothing(on a practical basis) is a great place to start.

8. electricalguy

electricalguy

Nailhead dodge roadster.....one of the reasons 392's are expensive in the PNW is my buddy Herm Petersen gobbles them up and builds them for rich guys...(I am not one of those guys).......

9. big M

big M

Helluva deal no matter what you decide to do with it. Good cores that are not frozen bring $2500 in this area.

---John

10. Ha, I think i've talked to him before electricalguy, i was looking for a 354 for the wifes roadster this guy calls me saying hes got 20 hemis in all different sizes, running original 354 for $3500 or a running 392 for $5500....I laughed and turned him down quick.

Just on a side note, shes got a poly 360 (stroked 318) going together for less then the cheapest hemi he had.

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

$100!? Sounds like about like scrap value. Hard to have gone wrong on that deal. If it is still all together and has just been sitting in a garage, seem likely it can't be all that horrible inside. If the valve covers are fairly nice, you have your money back right there alone. If all together and in decent rebuildable condition, they go for about $2-2,500 all the time.

Money aside, a choice between a 318 vs. a 392 in an old hot rod? Yeah, let me think about that for minute. Turned the guy down @ $5,500 for a good running 392? Without even trying to talk him down a little? I'm guessing the only guy with a bigger smile on his face was the guy who swung a deal with him for it for $5K and is now listening to the sweet sound of that baby in his car.

12. The 1958 Imperial has unique valve covers that alone are worth more than you paid! I probably spent about $4 to 5K on rebuilding mine with some pricy parts, but it can be done for less.

13. notweak2

notweak2
    from alabama

I was offered $8500 for my 392 as is. I chuckled.

Attached Files:

14. notweak2

notweak2
    from alabama

I'm just finishing my dad's '58 Imperial. 392 Hemi's are hard to beat. You're right about the valve covers. A good set can bring $250.

[​IMG]

15. OneBadMechanic

OneBadMechanic

Sweet find. Can't tell much without pics, but you're probably best off keeping it and working with what you got. They're great motors. best of luck.

16. kennb

kennb

Lets see a picture. Ken

17. There was no talking him down, that was his bottom price.....and it was a greasy pig of an engine right out of the car he found it in. It ran but but it was original and I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on an engine without a history. My poly stroker (A engine, not later LA style) is just shy of 425hp and I know ever piece in it...

18. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Paid $1700 for mine and it was stuck had 2 rusted cly had to have it bored 60 over

19. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

If your into practical jokes you could just clearcoat it and start a big ruckus.:D