Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnesium torque thrus wheel question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemipwd41willys, Jun 9, 2013.

1. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

I need some help. I was all ready to mount my tires up on my 15x6 American magnesium wheels this weekend. Went to my local tire shop and when it came time to install the valve stems they didn't have any that would fit. I know that most guys run tubes but I have had the insides of the wheels coated to try and avoid running tubes. Does any one know where I can get the proper valve stems?
    Thanks!

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

try a auto parts store or different tire shop. they take common valve stems. just have to find someone that knows old wheels.

3. Enough said.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Went through that with the 6s on the front of my Nova, just caved in and used metal stems. Seems most wheels today have a lot thinner seat for the valve stems. Like to think someone is still making a deeper version in rubber.

5. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Thanks for the info that you all have shared so far. I am doing some checking to see what i can come up with. But just a little more info to share on the wheels.
    The valve stem hole measures
    Width----- .625
    Depth----- .550
    The thickness of the depth is what is getting us as it doesn't use a standard size valve stem.
    Thanks again for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ken,

6. brandon

brandon

Had to run truck tyle brass (or whatever they are) stems in my early ones....

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have found the 1st style round spokes have the stem hole on the face (tube type). 2nd style stem hole is between the spokes (tubless type). Brandons right, long metal truck type stems do work. Most American magnesium weep air; I run tubes in all mine.

8. brandon

brandon

I paint the insides with a couple coats of oil base enamel.....never have run a tube in any of my halibrands or americans.....fwiw

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the tip,I had seen that done to some; wondered if it did any good. Just seems like I always have one out of four that wants to weep.

10. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Thanks to everyone for the info! I was able to catch up to a fella that had owned a tire shop back in the 60's threw the 80's and he was able to tell me exactly what to use. I picked a set of them up today and will have the tires mounted up this weekend. They are a Brass style.

Bowie,
    The set I have are the early ones that have the stem on the face. Also i have heard of guys doing what "Brandon" said with painting the insides i have a friend who does powder coating here where i live and we coated mine with ceramic. Not sure how it is going to work but they look very nice and smooth. If it doesn't work i am going to give Brandon's idea a try.
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!.

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a very good idea. Sure would think powder coat can seal them up. Please post if it works or not. I'm not pro tube, just got sick of airing em' up over the years. That sure is a neat lookin' Willys you have there!

12. I ran into a similar issue when I was trying to find valve stems for an old set of ET Supers. The .625 (5/8") valve stems aren't easy to come by anymore.

Coating the inside of a magnesium wheel is always a good idea. Even though that area isn't exposed when the tire is mounted, the changes in temperature can produce moisture in that area, and that is the enemy of magnesium. I always used to spray outsides (tire mounting surface) of my wheels with a high-quality epoxy. Powder coating wouldn't be a bad idea, but make damn sure the areas you don't want powder on are completely masked off with a high temp Mylar tape. The adhesive of regular tape doesn't like the 400F temperature of the oven and could stain the wheel.

Magnesium wheels aren't maintenance-free, but man, are they bitchin' when they're done right.