Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want to lower the rear of my A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by urbanriot, Jun 10, 2013.

1. urbanriot

urbanriot

Guys - got my rear end off for a rebuild and I want to lower the rear about 3 inches - how best to do this - remove a couple of leaves or get the spring reprofiled at a spring shop ?

This is how it sits now.

[​IMG]

This is how my spring looks - I would think someone has had a few leaves out of there allready ??

[​IMG]

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Looks like there might be a couple leaves gone. I would shorten the second leaf by a couple inches and reverse the eyes on the main leaf.

3. Yes, I would say there have been a few leaves removed. Reversing the spring eye will get you about an inch lower than what you have now.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It could be a little more if you relieve the spring a little when reversing it. The other leaves will help it into shape when bolting it all together but it will settle a little more. Sorta have the same thing going on with mine...:)

5. badshifter

badshifter

Reverse the spring eyes to start with. Then adjust with leafs. Your spring spreader won't work any longer with the eyes reversed so you have to get creative putting it back together again.
    Oh, not that it matters but I like the way it sits as is.

6. bgaro

bgaro

how about reverse eye, then a little taller tire. would be a cool stance but fill the wheel well better.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If it helps anyone, my solution to the spring spreader problem is a ratchet strap wrapped around the top crossmember and the spring on each side. Crank it down and the spring will come up enough. I used a bunch of towels to not hurt my paint or chrome.

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

You can use a 26-27 model t rear spring too. www.t-springs.com

They sell a reversed eye spring too, but do some measuring first.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Don't have a pic cause I'm on my phone. I just tweaked the ends of my spring like they used to but I'm using a 40 spring behind axle. Might not work if youre using a spring over. Will put up a pic later.

10. urbanriot

urbanriot

Thanks all - food for thought there.

11. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Looks like there are 3 leaves gone. Same in my Coupe, no reversed eyes. Get a model t spring, reverse the eyes or get beafier tires:)

[​IMG]

12. Wardog

Wardog

If this is a stock spring with standard eyes and three leaves removed can you tell me what leaves you removed. Also could you remove more leaves or would this start to cause problems? Thanks.

13. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

We removed 3 leaves, the "smallest" leaves. Sorry, i never tried to remove more leaves, but the ride might get to soft. Back in the days they pitched the longest leave to drop it even more. Never tried to do it, but you will find a lot of info about it here on the HAMB.

By the way: nice ride!!! What mill do you drive?

14. Wardog

Wardog

Thanks for you're help. It's a completely stock 30 apart from running 12 volt. I have 16" solids and Firestone black walls to go on, I'd like to get it sitting down a bit, remove the bumpers and spare and drive it while I build a V8 32 frame.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. That thing is bitch'en!!
    And an awesome photograph

16. brandon

brandon

to get it where it needs to be won't be easy....:D

17. What size tire are you running? Looks a bit small like 225?

18. ^^^^^WOW!!^^^^^ What a profile!

Tire specs??

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

19. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

@wardog: Nice plans! Don't forget to keep us updated with a build-thread:)

@hotrodA: Thanks! 6.00-15 in the front, 8.20-15 in the rear