Register now to get rid of these ads!

So Cal Parts - Steering Column - Borgeson Sucks!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spork!, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Spork!

Spork!

I'm trying to get my car ready for LARS and have to replace my steering column. it had a GM tilt with key that locked up. I was at a car show and the key wouldn't turn so I had to take a screwdriver and hammer and punch out the lock which kind of destroyed the column.

I wanted to get rid of the tilt and put in a straight column anyway. I ordered a column from Borgeson last Monday (a week and a half ago) and ignition switch and t-sig assy from Summit. The Summit stuff arrived the next day but the column didn't. I got an e-mail from them the next day confirming the order. I hoped I'd get it Friday so I could put it in over the weekend. I've been on the road for work so finally got a chance to call Borgeson this morning to find out it hadn't shipped yet! They could ship it overnight but I would have to pay the extra shipping. They would not pick up the shipping charges even though I asked as they hadn't notified me that the order was delayed. So I got pissed and cancelled the order.

Now I need to get one locally. Anyone have a preferred vendor for a standard 33 / 34" straight column? I'd like to pick one up today so I can get it in the car by Sat morning.

Thanks.

2. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you try C&G. If they dont have it they might know where to get one in a hurry.

3. Spork!

Spork!

Who is C&G?

4. Weasel

Weasel

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Big HELL YA for Limeworks!

6. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

7. Fogger

Fogger

There's also Tri-c Engineering in Valencia, Ca.

8. Limeworks I'm sure he had everything you needed

9. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

10. Spork!

Spork!

Thanks for all the replies.

I went to Reids Hot Rod Parts in Orange right next to CW Moss. It's only 7 miles from my office. Limeworks is 25 miles so that means 2 hours in LA commute traffic! :eek:

They had the column I needed and should have it in the car tonight. Should be ready for LARS Saturday morning! :)

11. Spork!

Spork!

12. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Reid's is cool to. Very nice owner. Good luck.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've been using Borgeson stuff for years with no problems. I sure hope their stuff doesn't suck as their universals are holding my wagons steering together.

14. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

I don't think the Borgeson column that made the not allowed list is a tilt column.

15. Spork!

Spork!

I think they make a good product. It's their customer service that sucks! In this particular case which is my only experience with them.

16. This is an age old problem that has only gotten worse over the years as we have become more and more of the Microwave Society where we want everything yesterday. Companies like Summit or Amazon thrive because they warehouse millions of dollars in parts and are set up to be extremely efficient in shipping, it is why we buy from them.
    But for manufacturers it's a different story. They are much smaller operations that are not designed to ship parts direct to a consumer on an hours notice. They are designed to manufacture parts which normally get shipped to warehouse operations like Summit or even to direct retailers and parts stores. many manufacturers won't even sell direct because it just doesn't make sense for them to send one part to one person when their normal business routine is sending pallets of products to warehouse like Summit.
    In this case, a week and half does seem excessive, and I am not defending Borgeson. Just trying to show people why many times it takes much longer when you go factory direct as versus a company like Summit

17. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Borgeson has been in business since 1914, i'm sure they know something about customer service and just maybe there not responsible for the destruction of your steering column.

18. Spork!

Spork!

WTF? Of course they're not responsible for the my old steering column! Duh! The issue is not that I needed a new column or that I needed it in a hurry.

The issue is they did not ship my order. They told they they normally ship same or next day but in this case it did not ship and they did not know why, nor did they contact me to let me know. So they admitted they screwed up but didn't want to make it right.

I don't care how long they have been in business and it's really not relevant to the issue. Besides, if they have been in business that long chances are they are going to screw up once in a while. Everybody does and I understand. What I don't understand is why they would choose to lose a customer rather than making it right.

I come from the long forgotten age of "Do what you say you are going to do and if you can't you'd better do something to make it right". I know now a days it pretty much a "screw you" society but I refuse to accept that attitude.

Oh well, I got my column locally which is probably what I should have done to begin with. It cost me a little more but I am supporting a local (cool) small business and will go back there the next time I need something.

19. Spork!

Spork!

By the way, I went to TCI in Ontario yesterday to get my coilover bushings replaced. I did not have an appointment, just walked in and it was lunchtime too. I've purchased from them before so they gave me a small discount and pressed the bushings in while I waited. It took them about 5 minutes.

The sales rep told me the have a special driver to put them in and if you try to do it yourself you'll mess with them and probably destroy them in the process.

They did not charge me to press them in.

This is excellent customer service. They did not blow me off or give me any attitude because it was lunch time. They installed the bushings at no charge and gave me a discount as a repeat customer. They are not even really set up for walk in or retail business.

So big thumbs up for TCI!

20. Every company screws up. Paperwork gets lost, boxes get set to the side, ect. We have all had it happen. I dont blame them really for not sending it overnight (thats a chunk of change). If they appologized and said they would ship it in the morning, thats all most companies would do. Doesnt make then bad, just makes them "typical".

21. Spork!

Spork!

You know, you're right. If they apologized and expressed some remorse or empathy I'd have been okay with it. But they didn't.

It may not make them bad but being "typical" is not really something I strive for in my business.