Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can someone explain the differnce in styles lead sled, hot rod ect..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Caddyman76, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Had a 1960 Cadillac with four doors, and I can't fuckin' imagine why one would buy a 59 or 60 as Coupe, the roofline is all wrong. In the fourdoor the roof makes a nice curve before it falls into the back window, on Coupes the window is pumped, and the roof almost straight. Bah.

This moredoor bullshit is such a pain, everyone wants a car with two doors, been looking for a 59 Biscayne with four doors forever now, can't find one, cause they are all twodoors now, partscars, not more. Stupid!

Your Cad doesn't look much different in four or two doors. Dunno. Don't care. Build it as you wish.

And I think the car from your desktop is shit.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Man, lose that pic of that Caddy, it's hideous!
    I'm old school, 4 doors were for families and old ladies.
    But if you gotta have one, a Caddoo is about the best one to get. Just don't get too crazy with trying to make it something it's not. Keep it clean and mild, and it's too heavy to be a hot rod.

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

BTW, I own the coolest 4 door Cadillac ever made, IMHO, I don't hate 4 doors, I'm just not a big fan of people who don't know shit from shinola.

4. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Very few exceptions my ass. These are just a few that I snatched off of Kustomorama because I remembered them off the top of my head. 4 door customs back in the day did happen and isn't exceedingly rare. They also didn't do it "just because they couldn't find a two door"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Yeah, kind of like elementary hot rodding 101 stuff.

If you don't at least have the bases covered you really have no business here.

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Man I love your car. Build it how you want and call it a cruiser. You'll have plenty of room for the family and a good time just cruisin' with it.

7. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

nice!!!!

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Fuck lambo doors, that's Donk territory, you're in the wrong place, Lay It Low is where you should be. Wing for the trunk, what's that?

9. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

So you were born knowing "EVERYTHING" there is to know about traditional hot rods and customs.:rolleyes: My apologies; your eminence. Last I checked this was a place where a young person could come for answers, experience, & knowledge from like minded individuals. I never did get the whole 4 door bashing thing (not that your bashing but that's the way I took it). Just like glass car haters. Glass cars & 4 doors are just as much fun when you hit the vertical pedal on the right.:p

10. dirtracer

dirtracer

At least he ain't working on an import with a fart can exhaust pipe or one of those cars with giant circus wheels. I think they are called "donks" or "dicks" or "dorks" I can't seem to remember!

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I know a lot more than 90% of the people on here, I don't use the words rat rod, I've done more than you will ever know, and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks.

12. Are you being the "ironic hipster" for the sake of humor, or.......

[​IMG]

13. That's was a joke. My caddy is my style and it lays frame with 22" wheels but you probably have issue with that too.

I thought your language was not aloud here but some people are just that way.

Later

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm not trolling, I've been on the HAMB a very long time, I'm very serious about this stuff that's why I get irked by people who have rat rod in their profile and I see giant wheels. This place has a certain purity that's worth defending and if labels mean nothing how come there are mags coming out of the ying yang appealing to the tiniest niche? I don't expect to see a tasteful custom in Donk magazine, I don't wanna see a Donk in Rod and Culture.
    A four door Caddy is a nice cruiser, it can never be a hot rod.
    Am I getting worked up about nothing? Probably, but I feel very strongly about traditional hot rodding and customizing and Lambo doors and wings on trunks ain't it.

15. I have rat rod in my profile? Dam ill have to change that. Cannt do it from my phone sorry.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

dude, you don't get it.

17. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

You could make a nice family car and a mild custom out of it easy. Shave the door handles and hood and trunk emblems, install solinoids to pop the doors open, lower it, paint it, put a nice interior in it, pin stripe it, put some nice wheels or lancer caps on it and drive it.

18. It's just an older Cadillac! Enjoy it if ya want to.

19. I know how the term "rat rod" started. Some writer from hot rod mag start it after meeting a car club in Cali. I forget their club name but when the article came out the club was pissed. Back in the day and to some today that term is an insult. The writer had no idea what he was writing.

20. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

More 4 door customs that were "rare" back in the day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hot rodded 4 door with a caddy 331
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. 54rat210

54rat210

I agree! I like 4 doors on certain cars.

22. 63comet

63comet

I like my four door. Back seat makes quickies easier.

I'm building her up to be fun to drive fast. I like corners and want to be able to keep up with the modern sport sedans. Shooting for somewhat of an old rally car look I reckon? Once I've got the exhaust worked out I'm thinking about a roof rack with drivin lights.

23. I get your not understanding me. But like I said I'm putting a little hot rod in the caddy which is the way the engine looks. This caddy couldn't get out of it own way even if I put a jet engine into it. Low rider is the air ride I installed. Donks are crap I can't stand a raise car with giant wheels. Well see how my car come out and go over the errors. I look forward to it.

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

With a Cadillac, it's not how fast you can drive, it's how slow you can drive.

I'd call it a Cruiser. Just a cool old car that you drive around. You don't have to meet anyone's expectations but your own.

25. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

You're thinking of Gray Baskerville back in the early 70's, but I don't think he coined the term, just recycled it. I don't think anyone really knows where the term came from.
    I find it kinda funny that nads is bashing you because you used the term rat rod in your about me section, but posted a thread trying to sort out the terminology.
    A lot of people think in terms of Rat Rod when they first get into the older cars these days because it's such a damn buzz word, but honestly it's meaningless. It means whatever the person using it wants it to mean and nothing else since there is no clear consensus what the word means. Around here it mainly means low slung, poorly-built rust bucket.

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love your engine, I hate your wheels

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

And all these beautiful 4 doors some are posting, this Caddy will not end up like that, I wish it would but it won't

28. Preserving a certain level of purity is one thing. Giving nothing but negative opinions to someone asking for help is another. You could have just ignored the OP.

Labels are bullshit because they're always changing. That's because the accepted norms of a particular style are always changing. Half the cars people label "traditional" on this site are anything but. That's because styles change and evolve. If they didn't we'd see even more threads about the "same old, same old". If everyone kept doing things the same way, this would be a pretty damn boring hobby (and yes, I said hobby, because that's what this is to me, not my life). All these niche mags exist because styles keep evolving. You can pay respect to the essence of traditional rodding, and still not have a strict adherence to what some folks think your car should be. That's the large percentage of cars on here, and that's what makes the HAMB so great.
    If you want one specific style and that style alone represented on the HAMB, the Mods had better get busy kicking 3/4 of the membes off the site. I may not care for everyty car I see on here (and I'm sure there are many who don't care for mine), but who am I to tell them they don't belong? Let the mods remove this if it doesn't fit.

29. Ya Steve that's what I thought. The term just stuck after the article came out. Just trying to understand NADs view and get him to understand mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.