Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is best MECHANICAL FAN to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jun 12, 2013.

1. What type Mechanical fan is best for cooling; a high perf small block motor, air cond.

What blade shape? / What type ;clutch,flex etc......

I can go as much as 20" fan, and approx 3" depth to radiator

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would say a fixed blade fan with as much pitch and blades as possible. Look at factory fans on A/C equipped cars. If you have the room, clutch type fans are plentiful.

3. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

I agree with Gasser, most pickup truck have more blades.

4. Cantstop

Cantstop

I read a article in one of the BIG mags a few years ago that tested the flow and cooling ability of fans. Fixed Flex Electric none of them could come close to the five blade clutch fan.

5. I always sought out solid Caddy fans for my stock cars. Which was a double-edged sword if the radiator got pushed into one. I've seen aftermarket ones similar to those with 6 blades or so.

Bob

6. dcs13

dcs13

7. I prefer the one from Summit!

I have this steel blade fan on all 3 of my hot rods,,they come in several different sizes. HRP

[​IMG]

Rellim51 likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Now that's a great fan above.
    You can use the best fan ever,but if ya need it to work right,it needs a good shroud...........

9. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

We have used Flexalite plastic fans to fix cooling issues on a lot of different cars...... They're inexpensive and they work.

10. I don't have a shroud on any of my cars and can sit in traffic all day long and not run hot! HRP

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if this one is anywhere near the best but it will suck a cat through the radiator if he gets too close. it came off a Dodge Van that I had.

[​IMG]

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

I just ordered one for my OT Willy Jeep based on your experience...So if better be good :D

13. Please explain thermal clutch fan if it is better than some listed above

14. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Best fan blade I've ever used....4 blade early Chevrolet. Cools a 750h.p. Dirt late model engine with no shroud....something about staggered blades.....