Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . I gap mine with a match book cover or 0.16 . Spark plugs with a 1964 silver dime or 0.35 .
    Herb in super wet Fl.

2. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

Thanks. I think the cap I got is wrong? The rotor has machined grooves in the cap and left brass shavings in the distributor.

3. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . Make sure the cap is the right one . There is one that in made alittle smaller and will bust up rotors and if the metal pieces fall in the points will short everything out .
    Herb in Fl.

4. elba

elba

I have a 66. I have taken all parts and glass apart ad have completed the sheetmetal work. ( lots or rust) Rebuilding the engine now. New kin pins and all brake parts. Not trying to make it a show car. Just a nice driver. Will be painted[​IMG] viper red with narrow whites.

droppedstepside likes this.
  5. elba

elba

Does anybody know why early and late econolines have different engine mounts. Mine has the tube horsecollar and my parts car has them built as part of the unibody ?

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

61-64 had sheet metal arms as engine mounts, while the 65-67s had the tubular support. Why? Maybe Ford just liked it better that way. :) Probably because the 240 was introduced as an option in 65, and the tubular member is superior... it also makes swapping in any other engine a lot easier.

7. MagicBus

MagicBus

Im in the process of prepping my rustbucket 67 for paint...
    [​IMG]

8. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

I got a blue streak and the rotor moved around because the little spring clip on the distributor was worn and not holding the rotor in place. Does the blue streak cap work? The parts guy gave me a new one , but I do not want to go back in and have to clean it out again. GOOD TIMES

I am going at all the hoses fuel, water, water pump, thermostat, brakes lines. Then onto tires, shocks, and a steering column rebuild

9. econolineherb

econolineherb

you won't be lonley , i have alot of friends in here .

10. econolineherb

econolineherb

never used the blue caps . you check out the Econoline groups ?

11. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

I can no longer deal with this truck it is for sale. runs sometimes? not right now. If your handy with timing and points drive it home

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  12. econolineherb

econolineherb

Where you at and what you asking for it ? pics ?

13. Pacsh

Pacsh
    from Venice, FL

Does anyone happen to have any info on how to lower an Econo a couple of inches or so?

Im not looking to slam mine down, but I need to change things up.

14. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever come in contact with. That includes a Yugo. I have replaced every single hose and pump under the engine compartment. now the thing will not run. points have been at .018 tp .025 with nothing. I can not see a timing mark on the pulley. This was an expensive mistake

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  15. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

I could tell you my story, then you wouldn't feel so badly. I'm over $9k and still need to upgrade the drivetrain. ....and paint....and upholstery....and...

These are about the simplest engines to work on. Maybe not easy to get to, but basic fuel and spark engines.

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

you're right about them not being easy to work on. I did something to help that by mounting all the little things that are bolted to the engine box sides to two small tabs that mount under the floor and then come up through the engine box right along side of the side panel. that way you can remove the engine box and work on things a lot easier without all that stuff hanging and possibly coming unplugged.

17. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

Bummer, I will call back my mechanic and see if he will come make it run, so I can move it on quicker. The few miles I did drive it I was not impressed

18. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

If I were out your way, I'd have a look! I like the original color.

19. econolineherb

econolineherb

One thing there 50 years old . Join the group and let someone work on it that knows what there doing .

20. econolineherb

econolineherb

did you short the points wire out ? Move the wire that you have to the points . Ford is noted for the wire shorting out even if you can't see it touching anything . I have been working there Econos since they came out . I time them by running the idle up to 1500 rpm and turn the dizzy until the motor misses that do it the other way . Split the difference and lock it down .

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

It was running, then you replaced all the hoses and pumps, and now it won't run? That means either you made a mistake, or you have a/some bad parts. That's not a bad vehicle, that's a bad mechanic. You changed too many things at one time.

Start with Herb's suggestion, then work backwards with everything you did.

22. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

I don't know? I did forget to attach a wire inside the distributor the single one that bolts on top of the points plate? trying to find tdc now.
    I will figure this out

23. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . What motor do you have ? If it runs just split the difference on the dizzy . TDC on an old motor won't help with timing . Wish i was closer . I work cheap (free in most cases ) when it comes to Econolines .
    Herb in Fl.

24. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

Remember when I said I forgot a wire? well turns out the two wires were not tight. runs like a champ but very very slow. My son loves it, going to teach him how to drive it

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  25. econolineherb

econolineherb

Kool . Too much in a hurry . Kids now a day can't wait for anything LOL . I hear the bank account getting smaller now . Dad i'll do anything so i can buy a stero and wheels . Oh i need gas money .
    Have fun.

26. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

I finally got to wash it and remove the lift gate

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  27. Love the Econolines but never owned one.

28. tatra

tatra
    from the peg

johnnybentwrench, what do you mean by lift gate ?......got a pic ?.......if it has some weight to it you might find it helps to balance things out..........these are quite nose heavy as there was a steel plate installed from factory above the gas tank to assist as rear ballast.......looks good too.........

29. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

shoot, don't give up on that one. that truck looks great.

30. Got mine on the highway for the first time, got up to a blinding 71 mph. Kinda scary.