Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can someone explain the differnce in styles lead sled, hot rod ect..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Caddyman76, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering what style my caddy would be once I am finished and Im lost with the direction. Lead sleds seem to have more custom body mods than hot rods. Low-rider's are heavy into paint. Dose any one have thoughts of definitions of each?
    :confused:

2. Custom - change the styling ( many different sub types)
    But ride height and paint work alone don't qualify as a custom.

Hot rod - change power to weight ratio ( again many different sub types)
    Bigger engines and/or less parts.

Build what you want because you like it , not because of what other people might call it or the label you want it to have.

3. ok, I guess I can just see what people say when I'm done and just laugh at some of the answers.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Your car is a 4 door

5. RayMiller

RayMiller

Also lowriders aren't always heavy on the paint, like the above mentioned styles there are also sub genres of lowriders, bombs, old school, 70s style... You know. Good luck man and can't wait to see the finished product.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Ya I know but got the car cheap. Plus I got three kids and need more room. Lol

7. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

dont get caught up with definitions and labels just build it

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

ouch.

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

It sounds to me like what you have is a luxury family sedan. Pretty cool how you get to take everybody around and such.

10. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

nothing wrong with a 4 door caddy.

11. would suicide 'in the rear door be cool. I got to do something with them...lol

12. 49styleline nice build you got going there. I will have to keep watching to see how it come out.

13. Rob68

Rob68

It's a cool car 4 doors or not. I'd just shave the rear door handles.

14. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

my interpretation of these:

custom: lowered, chop top, wide whites, body mods, shaved door handles, spot lights does not have to have all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hot rod: bigger engine, 30s ford (can be other makes) late 30's can be hot rodded but much later than that not realy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

low riders: no real body mods air bags or hydraulics one inche wite walls with wire wheels if its a car from the 50s or later lots of chrome doo-dads and a air conditioner that hangs out the window
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

again these are my interpretation of what these are some may disagree

15. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Don't let other people's perceptions dictate how you build YOUR car.
    I'm a Kustom/lowrider guy, but that doesn't mean that I won't lift ideas from hot rods. All hot rods are customs, but not all customs are hot rods. With a sled the size of that caddy hopping it up isn't going to do you a lot of good when you're dragging that much ass around. And a posh, fancy lowrider/kustom interior and miles deep paint isn't really going to last long in a spawn hauler.
    There's also no rule that says that once your car is "finished" that it can't be rebuilt in a different style at a moments whim.
    Also, ignore the 4 door bashers. There's nothing wrong with a four door, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Don't go all crazy and try to suicide the rear doors just to make them more cool. It's a hell of a lot of work, and not really worth it. Four door haters will still hate it, no matter what angle the doors open...

16. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

would it be cool? its all what you think and what satisfies you. don't build it to other peoples taste. and in my opinion a caddy can get away with being a 4 door beter than any other car because there big and made to cruise:cool: good luck.

17. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Not necessarily true, especially on the big time show cars. Kustom grills, lights, louvers, spilt hoods/body panels, modified roofs, chopped tops and reshaped fenders are all pretty common on radical builds.
    Lowriders also ride on a variety of wheels including wire wheels, but also chrome steelies, supremes, cragars, rockets, etc, etc.
    Lowriders and Kustom guys aren't as strict on what is and isn't kustom, but it's got to have the look. What's the look? Depends on the vehicle. The main concern for both is ride height.

18. Good examples all, once I get it on the road Ill see what mods to do later, but I am going to stick with what I think is cool and we will see where I end up.

19. Its a cool old car...what else do u need.?

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

21. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Your a dork! Not everyone can own a deuce coupe. The car scene would be pretty boring with just a bunch of belly buttons parked next to each other.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd normally side with Nads in a heart beat, but I would be a hypocrite these days as I am currently driving my many door Falcon wagon everyday... I still do feel a bit weird about it though, if that counts.

23. lol that good. I started a build thread Call 55 caddy my first start to finish check it out.

24. rld14

rld14

4 doors, with very few exceptions, generally weren't used for Kustoms.

A Cadillac isn't going to be a hot rod as weight is a major enemy of speed.

That being said, it's a cool old Cadillac. Build it the way you want and enjoy it. I own a few 4 doors and like them. One of them is my 54 Ford. It cost less than a nice watch, is fun to haul a bunch of people around in and it's far from a show car so who cares if it gets a door ding or I cover it with mud.

25. rld14

rld14

Nads is right. Maybe a bit harsh, but he's right. What 4 door Kustoms can you think of? I can think of 3; A 55 olds Holiday hardtop, a 39/40 Merc and a 57-8 Eldorado Brougham.

26. That is true I don't see to many 4 door customs but I will have one and I still don't have a final plan for that but maybe Ill make a illustration to build towards.

27. I have this caddy 4 door as my desktop back ground, and it got for doors. :)

[​IMG]

28. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

lol you get him!

29. j conrad

j conrad

in older customs its more a question of full custom vs mild custom.. full custom= channeling , sectioning , and or chopped top on top of any other alterations to make it seem like a more expensive model. mild custom = lowering wheels and paint to make your car cooler than all the stock ones outta the showroom.. and hot rod as big of a engine in the lightest car the faster you can go. i would say your caddy fits nicely in the mild custom catagory!!

30. Thanks Conrad

mild custom is good with me. Maybe some day I'll hit full custom by adding some lambo doors or a wing for the trunk lid. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.