Register now to get rid of these ads!

ECI - Universal Brake Assist?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClassicDriver, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver

2. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

That's crazy, would sound good for my low vaccum chevelle. You want to go fast but you also need to stop fast.

3. bct

bct

PFM......but seriously i've used eci stuff before and can't say enough good about them.
    seems like a dual stage type hydraulic system.

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Sounds to good to be true, but having used their products before, I trust them. How much does it cost? Didn't see a price. I'm guessing $400-$500?

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I don't know what's inside this unit, but it's not a new concept. Various kinds of "Fast Fill" master cylinders have been around for quite a while. They do essentially what a two stage floor jack does. When the effort is low more fluid is delivered. When resistance increases the effective piston size automatically switches to smaller.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep , just a new version of a old idea. MICO made a "Power Brake Cylinder" 60+ years ago for forklifts and big loaders etc. Had one piston inside the other ,big one moved plenty of fliud to expand the brakes and then the smaller one made the higher pressure to operate the brakes with a lighter pedal pressure. Kinda like a 2 stage pump on a shop press ,only automatic switch over to high pressure.

7. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver

Hmmm. That is pretty cool. Might work for a spot with tight place for a master. I have ECI stuff also. Great company. Have been always helpful if I had a question.

8. saucerhead

saucerhead

You say you don't get something for nothing, you're right. But the cost is minor, only the space the booster cylinder adds to the master cylinder. If you have the room for it, the cost is only the monetary amount out of pocket.

9. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Well said!!
    I know they have been working on a unit like this for a few years. They had one designed to be used in line, but would require one for front and another for the rear.
    This looks like a great option. No additional vacuum or pressure lines (ie power steering-hydro boost style) needed, plenty of room if used under floor boards compared to even the smallest vacuum booster.
    If it is around $500 or less, the cost might sting at first.But the first time you need the car to stop and it does without hitting something, you saved the $500 (min) deductible on you ins.
    Seriously though, they make great products, are all car/hot rod guys and stand behind what the make.

10. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Any updates on this? I am gathering parts to lower my '41 Plymouth - dropped uprights require disc conversion, figure while i'm tearing things apart may want to upgrade m/c and related components.

Anyone???

11. F&J

F&J

Call them; everyone working there is a rodder. I was there a few weeks ago, and I know they have a working phone, too:D

12. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

C'mon man - that would be too easy! And people here at work would know I wasn't working :eek:

13. CptKaos

CptKaos

$400 and they are about 3 weeks out.

Larry

14. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Call ECI Ralph and his guys are all great guys

15. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Magic?

The big piston/little piston thing has been around in industry. I had a temp job in a shop where a gizmo took in shop air on one side and spit out 8000 psi on the other.
    I really wanted to take it apart.

16. Yichoke

Yichoke

Just ran across this thread. Has anyone any new information on this product? Seems like a good solution for tight spaces, if it's any good.

17. Yichoke

Yichoke

Any more feedback?

18. 32guy

32guy
    from Montana

I wonder if this could be hooked to another M/C for a drum drum situation? I'm sure that the one they have is for a disc drum. I have used their stuff before also, a remote fill power disc drum set up in another car.

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

I'm sure they can come up with something, the booster itself appears to take a GM style master cylinder (late model) so there should be a bore size that works (they mention 1"), only things you would need then are the residual valves, a drum/drum combination valve should have them as a simple (ish) solution.

dare I ask why your pedal effort is so high in a drum/drum setup that you need a booster?

Real heavy vehicle by any chance?

20. 32guy

32guy
    from Montana

Not a heavy car, probably 2700 lbs, a '32 3-window. I just took off the ugly chevy disc set up in the front that worked really well. I put on 2 1/2 " '58 Buick brakes with the Buick drums, everything all shiny. Used a 1" bore drum drum m/c with 10lb. valves and was hoping to stop as good as the discs. Huge brake shoes. Stops well, just wanted it better. Thought it would stop as good, it's not bad, but not as good as the discs. I have a 6-1 pedal ratio. Been looking for a 15/16" drum drum m/c, non power, with the ports of the frame side, but haven't been able to find one. Saw this set up, and got interested.

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

If you have the "corvette style" master cylinder, it should be available in 15/16 & 7/8.

Good luck. :)

22. 32guy

32guy
    from Montana

Weren't the Corvettes disc drum? All I have found so far in drum drum, is is 15/16" in a power m/c that takes the short rod. Or one that the ports are are on the wrong side. I think if I could make this eci thing work, it would one hell of a brake set up. I am going to call them tomorrow. I have a friend that put one of those electric power assist units on a jag set up that he couldn't stop, it really stops now. But it is expensive, too much installation, and too much stuff under there. I don't like the idea of a power m/c without the booster, the rod could fall out. I want a dual chamber, I had an experience once in my '34, and want ports on the frame side. Don't want much, do I?

23. nexxussian

nexxussian

Oh yeah, if by some chance you have an "oddball" master cylinder, you could try larger wheel cylinders and more aggressive brake shoe linings.

When I was running cars with drums in competition I would use Porterfield relines.

For the street, R4-S is more reasonable.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/categories/Brake+Shoe/Performance+Street.html

They can reline what you have.

I don't work for them, and there might be newer tech for high performance brake shoes, but these are the ones I can testify they work. :)

If you have a brake fade issue pm me, I'll dig around and see if I can find the article I had for how to drill the brakes to eliminate fade and / or issues with being wet.

24. 32guy

32guy
    from Montana

Hey, thanks for the help on this. 2 1/2" buick shoes are very hard to come by. I have a bunch of old ones and looked into relining. Very expensive. I am going to pursue this booster, or try to find a smaller m/c. I know I want the ports on the frame side. It is hard to find a 1" m/c with the right ports,but did. I can find single m/c's in the smaller size, but want the dual after my experience over Grants Pass. I will call eci tomorrow. Thanks again.

25. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

First off did you arc the shoes to fit your drums? If you don't have 80-90% contact to start you will have poor brakea until the shoes wear to fit the drums. My old Raybestos catalog shows shoe # 127 52-57 12X2.5 no listing for that size 58-60. I would think the only diff between the early and late would be number and/or some hole locations. Do not use a high metalic or HD type lining unless you are road racing, for normal use you will be better serived by a "softer" [ie higher friction] organic lining. I've had more than a few years around brake friction materials apps and sales working in HD truck and off road equip. A local brake shop that does Hd trucks and equip should have whats called roll lining they could reline your shoes with, would not expect more that $ 25 a shoe and thats a bit high.

26. 32guy

32guy
    from Montana

The ECI unit, that is a hydraulic booster, is a great idea. But, it is very ugly, for lack of a better term. Wonder if could be adapted to another M/C? Never have called them. Probably go with one of those Corvette styled aftermarket ones, like Erik was talking about. They aren't real pretty either, but you get them with a remote fill.

Thanks all for the input.