Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. I got a new radiator and a nice OEM radiator support. I hope to have those in the car in the next 30 days. I hope to have the new grille fabbed in that same time frame.

2. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

This might for sale

3. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

This might be for sale

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I forgot.I also need a radiator.I dropped my trans off at Tranny Johns.Real nice guy.I should have my trans back after the holidays.

5. desotot

desotot

Mines coming along, should have it done this spring.
    [​IMG]

6. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

ImageUploadedByTJJ1369608505.019210.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1369608526.221674.jpg
    After 4 years the motor is back on the chassis, I am pumped!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Motor is in but must be repositioned further back. It would really help to have some photos of other mercs (49, 50, or 51) that show where the crank case pulley sits in relation to the hole in the chassis cradle. You can see by the second photo that the crank shaft pulley is to far forward.
    Send me a photo post a photo or send a link! Thanks for your help!!
    John

8. tejas34

tejas34

I used the '52 rims and inserts on my Merc. I just mounted my buckets from the inside of the fenders, welded three small tabs and drilled and countersank te inserts. Check out my logo pic!

My project (51 Merc Conv) is starting to show promise. Eric at Extreme Kustoms helped me out with a few suggestions about the Jamco Tubular A-Arms I had purchased and installed. I will be posting a few pics later his month.

9. I drive mine every day to work. I have to pull a dent out from some no-talent ass-hat that hit it while it was parked on the street the other weekend. After that, strip it down, some priming and sanding, then PAINT! Hoping to have all the paint done and all back together for Symco in August.

10. mikes51

mikes51

I've seen them as far forward as yours, mine is about 2 or 3" back, still over the crossmember. My distrib barely clears the firewall, my friends with the forward setup, his fan clears the radiator. But we both don't have the serpentine setup, I'm running the stock long chevy waterpump with mechanical fan, I think he is too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  11. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Thanks Mike,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am planning to use the F150 box power steering box with a 1960 old steering wheel and column, non-tilt. My plan is to move the engine 3.5 inches back. I still may have to move the radiator forward an inch or two. I was looking for some of the pictures to see how others configured engine trans mounts. What steering box etc. My fire wall has not been put back so I have a easy way to make clearance. I did not want to move the radiator 4 inches forward. I am using electric fans on the outside of the radiator.

12. mikes51

mikes51

If you are using the fatman adapter bracket for the f150 steering box, you will have room to make a motor mount that goes from the side frame to your motor. I have that setup and I would estimate there is 2" max between my main front crossmember and the front side of the motor mount. The back side of the motor mount is practically touching the steering parts. I'm estimating because that box is so big I can't even get a tape measure down in there to measure it if I wanted to.

13. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I saw your thread to help with the height issues with the F150 box, very well written, thanks!
    I may choose a different route for the steering box once I settle the motor location.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Crap, still waiting parts for my '50'

15. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Dropped it off at the painters a week ago. Hopefully I will have it back before the snow gets too deep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

What color paint is going on it?

17. Mine is waiting it's turn to get some $, I've been spending $ on the car I drag race a few times a month, OT car.

18. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Going to do a "Watson" style panel paint job. Metallic Green and Pearl White. Here is a pic of the reupholstered back seat. The Paint will match.

[​IMG]

19. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Nice!!!

20. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

For those who went SBC and used a 700r4 did you modify the original trans mount or replace it.

21. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

My Mercury its On hold helping my father inlaw with his car for a few months..

Attached Files:

22. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

What is he driving?

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

This is his car.I'm doing his body work and upholstery.
    In the mean time i been buying up parts fort my Mercury

Attached Files:

24. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Nice, very cool!

25. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne
    from Olathe, KS

Needing 54 Monterey Gas Tank here pretty quick! Anyone have thoughts? The Ford Interchange sheet (Part# MA 9002 H) appears to show it was limited production for 52-54 Merc only - no Fords fit.

Other than that great!

- Just installed Drop'em and Stop'em dropped spindles and power disc brake conversion kit.
    - Seats are ready for upholstery
    - Transmission is ready to be sent out for rebuild and mods
    - Motor is ready to drop in
    - Front end is completed
    - Lots of small parts ready to be installed
    - Gonna be hitting it hard the next few weeks! Want it done by end of Sept!

Darren

26. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Wish you lived in Phoenix i do upholstery on the side

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Winter update time Merc fans.

The FatMat has been installed, and the mud is going on the outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne
    from Olathe, KS

Just getting ready to install Dynamat into the 54'. How does FatMat compare?
    My project is a year behind schedule. This due in part to handling my mother's estate since her passing this summer and my ADHD. Plan to have it road ready by mid Spring!

29. After winter will move car to have grille fabbed.

30. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

From my research, it is an identical product for half the price. I also liked the fact that I could order it in a 100 ft^2 roll (let's face it, my wagon has a ton of interior space to cover), rather then the doingky little sheets of 18"x32" DynaMat.