Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "NoBrakes" Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobrakes, May 20, 2013.

1. nobrakes

nobrakes

Howdy. Just introduced myself in the newcomer thread. Wanted to start a thread about my new project - 1955 Mercury Monterey. This is my first old car and I have only done small stuff to it so far (like apply for my title!).

Here's a little info about it:
    2 door
    292 or 312 Y-block (will be taking oil pan off this week to determine)
    think the original paint was butter yellow with black top (will be trying to decipher number soon-see picture)
    vacuumed out the rat poo and acorns
    washed windows.

I've got a manual on its way in the mail. Not planning on doing an original restoration job, but do want it to run clean and look nice.

Might be needing a little help along the way, so I'll be putting questions in this thread.

2. nobrakes

nobrakes

3. smfyr241

smfyr241

Fire away with your q's.... Good luck with your project .....pics of the car would be nice when u get time.... Your engine should be the 292.

4. nobrakes

nobrakes

The man who sold it to me said it has a 312, but we'll find out for sure soon.
    It was also modified from automatic to a 3-speed, and to dual exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2013

5. Looks good as,is

6. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

Always liked those, looks super solid, great find / great luck ...

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

The thing with y-blocks is that according to the sellers, they are ALL 312s...lol.

That looks like a great project. Good luck.

8. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

It could be a 312 but the 55 had the 292 as original equipment. In 56 they all had 312s but from 57 on they gravitated toward the larger MEL blocks with the 312 being the smallest engine available in the Mercury cars and the only Y-block.

It's a Los Angeles car. It was tuxedo black upper with yukon yellow lower. It had black & yellow designer weave nylon fabric with yellow vinyl. It was manufactured on the 12th day of November 1954 and was the first car assembled that day.

9. nobrakes

nobrakes

Thanks for the VIN/style decription help! First off the line...that day.
    I have some of the fabric still on the seats. It's not salvageable, but it's a start.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thats a nice ride.

12. 54rat210

54rat210

Or a little flat black

13. big M

big M

Your engine does have the '57 only 4-barrel manifold with the wider carb bolt spacing. Could be a 312 if the engine was changed out at some time. The stock 292 manifold would have been for the teapot Holley.

---John

14. nobrakes

nobrakes

The guy who sold it to me said that it wasn't the original engine and is a 312. Will verify as soon as I get to the main caps. Thanks for the tips!

15. Great looking merc . To check 292/312, you could try lying underneath and looking at the rear crank flange while someone turns the engine over slowly with a bar/socket on the front pulley - 312 will have the identifier "dot" on the crank flange . Sometimes it can be seen this way .

http://www.ford-y-block.com/identify312.htm

16. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Welcome to the HAMB, that's a nice ride for sure.

17. nobrakes

nobrakes

Progress!
    Fuel pump - changed out. New filter.
    Oil pan - off! (PITA, though. Had to disconnect stuff and remove sway bar.)
    Yup, it's a 312.
    Carb filter - cleaned. GROSS. Chock solid. Now it runs super. Still need brakes!
    Next up - wires, plugs, distributor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. nobrakes

nobrakes

Thanks to HEAPS CC of Fort Worth for coming over on my birthday and helping a lady out. Husband got the oil pan back in today - filled it up and good to go. Then passenger side front and rear brakes got new cylinders, some shoes.

19. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Good job. Keep up the good work.

20. nobrakes

nobrakes

Driver side cylinders and shoes today! Will need to look for new drums, turns out, but I'm good for now. I learned a lot about the correct tools to use on all of those springs, and some tricks on how to get the shoes back on. Also learned that the short shoe goes in front.
    Still need to do the tune up stuff: plugs, wires, distributor.

21. Whoohoo! then it's laps of the block time??

good progress , keep at it .

22. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

nobrakes haha i have that tattooed on my fingers, seriously.

23. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That's a great lookin car. Make sure you enjoy it for a while before you tackle anything big where its layed up in the garage.... I have seen to many people buy cars, tear-um apart and then they loose intrest....

I really like that cars style....

24. nobrakes

nobrakes

Thanks guys!
    We are "this" close to doing laps around the block. A new brake line, bleed them, then a few tweaks. Having a blast, though, and it's giving the car club something to help on (we seem to be rotating through people's projects, which is nice).

NoBrakes - the origin. I probably should get it tattooed on my knuckles, so that next time I ride a motorcycle I can see it. My family started calling me that after I totalled one motorcycle in a ditch, then less than two weeks later crashed a dirt bike into a fence when the throttle stuck. My husband then bought me a scooter. haha.

25. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Is it pink, and a pink helmet? with flames???

26. nobrakes

nobrakes

Helmet? What's that?

Alas, it was a black scooter, not pink.

27. nobrakes

nobrakes

Verified the carburetor today. Carter AFB. Time to get it rebuilt. People have been saying my husband and I could do it ourselves, but it seems a lot easier to mess up than an oil change or plugs and wires. Must also get through the gasket gunk put between the water pump and the block by whomever owned this thing before me. Ew.

28. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Don't be scared of an AFB. It was my first carb rebuild and it all worked out fine. Just don't confuse the primary and secondary jets. I think HP Books published the book I used.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I bet you both can do it.... Snap pics with your camera as you disassemble... so after soaking and cleaning, you can have everything out and clean and reassemble.

30. nobrakes

nobrakes

Been a few days, but got some more done. Turned drums on the right side of the car. Took carb off and sent it to Dynamic Industries in Fort Worth for rebuild. Very happy and excited to get it back soon! Plans for this week also include trying to clean some of the gunk off the engine.