Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Anyone know anything about this Burgandy Comet running in NSS at The Mega Mopar Event a couple weeks back? It has to have an FE dual Quad set up. Running Strong its about the 1.00 mark in the video

[​IMG]

2. 65COMET

65COMET

The cool Mercury truck and 64 Comet are in Australia.The truck just got finished,Comet is a Drag Car! ROY.

3. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

That truck certainly is cool. Did they sell the Merc trucks down there too?

The NSS video is pretty good. I notice no Chevys just a billion Mopars, that Comet and a few Fords and Pontiacs.

4. SLCK64

SLCK64

The Tom Coward 427 Comet will be at the Hunnert Car Heads Up this weekend at Great Lakes Dragway (Union Grove, WI.). Apparently this will be the first showing since '66. I can't go but if anyone is in the area, check it out! Plus it's a great vintage drag meet!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. OldColt

OldColt

Now I've got to say that is the prettiest '64 Comet I ever laid my eyes on. The color, the stance, the wheels ... the things just perfect. Probably would put a few car lengths on the '64 Comet small block bracket car I once had too. The tow truck is way cool too. --- Steve ---

6. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Matt Bishop here on the west side of Atlanta GA did the machine work on the motor. Tony Evens, the builder and previous owner assembled the motor with help from Al Moody.

I don't think the new owner is planning to race it. Just show and flip it later down the road. I wouldn't be suprised to see it a Barett Jackson when the conditions get right. The new owner has bought and sold many cars there.

7. 65 comet

65 comet
    from ohio

Just a few days till the Hot Rod Reunion in bowling green. Cant wait, anyone going?

8. the tom coward comet was at the grove today. i took pics from all angles. i will post them soon.

9. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I'm looking for any info or pictures of 64/65 C/FX Comets.Thanks!

10. how can i get pics off my phone and on to this site.

11. You can upload the pictures to photobucket or other free online photo hosting site then, post a link to the picture, that works for me

12. Falconred

Falconred

Any good estimates on the race ready weight on a '65 Comet sedan with race seat only, 302/C4 and 9" rear with slapper bars. Probably 6 point roll bar. Gas tank gone (using small fuel cell). Draglites, 10"X26" slicks. All steel for now as well as all glass windows.

How much weight would be saved by using race weight fiberglass doors, fenders, hood and bumpers?? Lexan windows, side only? Just dreaming here, lack of funds at present but may be down the road.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  13. From racer-x.. Awesome pictures!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

LOL... I must an old guy. I actually remember when Keystone Klassics were cutting edge race wheels.

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Very Cool! Thanks for posting these Mike & Racer-x..

16. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

17. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Really nice pictures Thanks for the posting.....Al

18. As you can see the tomcat has a cage and braided lines going to the carbs. This car just got lettered last week. Now that it runs and drives its going to the track. We know its one of twenty. It still has the original owners manuel and secret ford suplement manuel. I will try get the pics when it raced in the day posted. I have some video of the car racing at the grove and lake geneva. High quality stuff. I just need to know how to post video.

19. Bob Mosher

Bob Mosher

64 Comet at Mega Mopar, 460 style, Kasse Boss heads, rack+ pinion steering, that one NSS group is match race and allows those mods to get some Fomoco,s.

20. OldColt

OldColt

Don't recall ever seeing a C/FX Comet. Would that be a small block in a wagon, or maybe even a 6 banger? --- Steve ---

21. Falconred

Falconred

All steel body probably to make the weight and with a 289 modified like the B/FX cars. I looked through my photos and I didn't find any Comets or Falcons C/FX cars although it seems like I remember seeing one at some time.

These are not good shots but it's a 289 Galaxy runing C/FX.

Attached Files:

22. OldColt

OldColt

OK, did the math. C/FX was 13.00lbs/cu. in. excluding driver. With the small block V8's of that era, a 289 Comet would have to weigh 3787lbs (improbably heavy), a 260 would have to weigh 3380lbs ( 4 door wagon?), and a little 221 would have to weigh 2873lbs (near stock weight). --- Steve ---

23. SLCK64

SLCK64

I'm trying to fig out what I would have been racing in '65. Also do you know where I can find rules for Stock class cars for the same year(s)? Car's not ready but research is still work B)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

The Ray Sullins Comet. I owned this car in the 70's

25. 65COMET

65COMET

MoKanMan;can you tell us more about the 64 Comet?How long did you have it? Did you race it?427 4-speed? ROY.

26. Falconred

Falconred

Sounds good to me. I didn't know the weight breaks were so much different and high.

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

& do you have any vintage pics of the car you could post?
    Much appreciated,Myron_

28. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Cool wagon.Owned by HAMBer Lucky444.

Attached Files:

29. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Roy I wrote about it and posted a pic on this thread, post #2006.
    I saw a post Ray Sullins put on a facebook page a couple of years ago and here is what he had to say about the car;

"I bought the car from Gene Anderson who owned A&A engineering that Houston Platt drove for .I bought the car in may or june of 1964 and owned it until the end of 1967 then I sold it to a guy in hot springs ,arkansas."

(someone then asked Ray about the "Dean Hook Motor's" on the car)

Dene Hook was a ford & mercury dealer in Newport, Arkansas I worked for him 9 years he helped me buy the car & was a sponsor we also had some help from merc. division through "Sales Promotion" that was what all factory help came through for Mercury racing. I don't what dealership if any was involved in the beginning ,I assume it came through a dealer since Bill Stroppe in Califonia built all the comets, this group was close friends with Don Nicholson so I don't know if any dealer was involved, They was the first to have the car it was just a few months old when I bought the car..PS Hubert Platt might know if there was a dealership involved. Houston switched to chev. & stayed with chev. the rest of his racing.

(and in another post Ray wrote this.)

"The dixie jumper was a&a fiberglass car driven by the late Houston Platt in the early 1964 I bought the car in late may or june in 1964 raced it as leagel a/fx through 1965 then altered the wheel base just after this picture was taken put injectors on with nitro and just matched raced the car through 1966 then I drove the skootin cuda winning the ahra grand nationals in detroit, the same year I put a late model 426 hemi in the comet and had Sonny Wayland drive the comet for me. At the end of 1967 I moved to Dallas to run a car for Kelly Chadwick and I sold the car to Emmel Hunt of hot springs after that I lost track of the car."

And from What I know, Emmel Hunt sold the car to Mike Davidson in Ft Smith, Arkansas who made one wheelstading pass in the car and sold it to a friend of mine in Tulsa, where it sit behind a shed until '73, when I bought it. This is a picture that were with this thread.

Attached Files: