Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 frame weight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jun 10, 2013.

1. wex65

wex65
    from WV

So, after a bit of a shambles I am having to ship a 1932 frame, tubular trans crossmember and Model A front and rear, back to the builder I bought it from.

Anyone have an idea as to the weight of one of the things? I realize there will be differences based upon configuration but a rough estimate is all I need. I am guessing 200 pounds?

Oh, and if anyone has a suggestion for shipping it from WV to OH I am all ears.

Thanks,

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Dimensions are probably going to be more of a cost factor than weight in this case. I would simply wrap it in plastic and take it to a long distance carrier depot and make arrangements for the guy on the other end to pick it up at his depot. I bought an air compressor that way and they fork lifted it right onto my trailer at the terminal. Saved some money over having it delivered to our shop.

Take some measurments and estimate the weight at 300 lbs and call some carriers for quotes. When you call various carriers just ask if they go direct to the destination town, some have to give it to a second carrier half way there. Also, the rate depends on what you call the item being shipped. For example a hammer might have one rate but a striking device might have a different rate. I would call it something like "used automobile parts" to see what kind of rate that gets.

Don

3. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks Don. I agree that the dimensions are probably the costly thing but they needed a weight too. I will go with 300 pounds for safety's sake.

Thanks,

4. oldolds

oldolds

WV to Ohio. I might think about strapping it to the roof of a rented mini-van and going for a ride.:D

5. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Funny you should say that...

I am thinking of heading that way for Good Guys AND to pick up my new frame(!) so maybe I will kill three birds with one stone.

6. mickeyc

mickeyc

A friend of mine made a simple fixture to slip into his receiver on the bumper of his pickup. He made it to haul over length lumber. I needed to pick up a 32 chassis and borrowed it . The chassis fit in the bed of my Chevy and extended about four feet past the tail gate.The front frame horns rested on the cross piece and I added a temporary light bar. Tied it down with a few ratchet straps and was good to go.

7. Been taggin' along on this adventure-
    Maybe lay you eye's on the new frame to totally make sure everything is what you want? .02C..... I find that on the ground.
    Go have a look in person if you can!

8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

This is how I hauled my 32 frame.

Attached Files:

9. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks guys, change of plan. I decided, I will indeed drive there next month.

Bringing the old frame I have to one place, hitting Good Guys and picking up the new frame too.

When I saw that the will be a swap meet at Good Guys it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!

10. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Years ago here on the Hamb a guy strapped a few 32' frames on a small boat trailer & drove across three states if I remember correctly. The pictures and his accounting was stable & positive weekend road trip.