Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 26 T roadster gow job build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by T27owner, May 29, 2013.

1. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Well I decided to build a car, originally it was going to be a speedster all I needed was a frame and a rear spring as I had inherited lots of spare parts from my dad. I was gong to build my own body but in the process of finding a frame and spring I found a person selling a collection of 30 years of parts he had said there was a complete roadster pickup in parts plus several frames and other goodies. So i bought it sight unseen for the asking price. I would like to of had a roadster but a pickup will do. i was ready to pick it up he said there is a turtle deck but the lid is missing so I was happy to see it. I've always like the looks of Mr.Ts car, and other go jobs out there. I will post as I progress and ask for help as needed always open to tips and suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a nice pile of parts to start with. Good luck.

3. Sweet! I'm building a '27 RPU too, but I'm going for a mid-40's feel. RPUs can be cool;

(and it's "Gow" Job - rhymes with wow...was an early 1900's euphemism for opium, basically being 'gowed' means the same thing as 'hopped up'.)

[​IMG]

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome! The title got my heart racing. Can't wait to see it develop.

5. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Wow thats a great LOOK, I was going to sell the box to buy trunk lid and patch panels but I might have to keep it NOW:D thanks for the origins of gow I'm learning already.

6. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Well I started to tear into the body, pretty solid with typical bun rust. Henry sure put them together, screws, nuts, rivets and spot welds. I got to the cowl which I would like to remove but haven't figured out were to start to get it off the sub-frame. It came with 2 cowls one that was used on a stationary engine on a half frame, it is dent and bullet hole free. Anybody have a starting point?

Attached Files:

7. That's a sure-enough RPU body...it has the extended bun panels that run along the subframe and lacks the holes for the turtle deck in the rear panel.

As for getting the cowl off, you're going to have to drill out a bunch of rivets on the toe board riser - I'll run out & take a look at mine this evening but from memory, that's where I'd start.

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks good Bob You've gotten alot done already, ,I'll talk to you at work,,,, Tim Jones

9. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Think I have the cowl figured out, 5 rivets on each side of floorboard kick and 3 rivets on door pilar and it should come off.

10. bct

bct

i'm at the same stage with my touring ....right down to the sub rails....i'm seriously thinking of pulling the seat pan and sectioning a few inches out of it....I hear leaving the toe board out will give you more room as well.

11. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Well we have cowl separation OH HENRY:mad: rivets, spot welds, rolled edges. Oh my this is not going to be a cake walk. I hate not separating everything but if i do it half ass I'll be driving sooner but in 3 years all the seems will rust open under paint and I would kick myself. But I did get my driver road worthy rebuilt the water pump, shaft seized last fall because the grease cup threaded into the shaft.

Attached Files:

12. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

I was thinking about that also, but I'm using a t engine, I'm tall and have my coupe seat as far back as possible so i'll have to see if i can use the pedals with the seat lowered. Guess I could always make a shorter seat cushion.

13. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Did a little more breaking down, turtle deck in pieces. Now to soak in molasses

14. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Here are a few pics

Attached Files:

15. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Still having trouble with thumbnails

Attached Files:

16. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

What are the odds my car was black? Paint under dash was still going strong.

Attached Files:

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks good Bob, Did you find the stuff for your mollasses diptank,, Tim Jones

18. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Even though there were several different color options available in 1926. The lion's share of model T's were still Black So Odds are pretty good that it was originally black ;)

I love Mr.T's roadster but have always had a soft spot for Pickups. Watching this build with interest. We've used or modified several of Clayton's Ideas for the 26 coupe we're working on so if you ever need measurements or drawings drop me a PM I'll hook you up with what ever we've got.

Good Luck,
    CBB

Outback likes this.
  19. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Thanks CBB, I will probably take you up on that. I am kinda building my car from the body down. I want the body right then on to the drive train, definitely T motor got 2 good blocks. I was thinking about the bed, I have '27 wire wheels if I do the bed I would probably put a bobbed A fender on the rear. The bed I have was a trailer and has lots of house paint and cement on it.

Attached Files:

20. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Here is the block I'm planning to use, has good mains my dad collected it in the 50's. ( some reason I'm having issue with posting multiple pics with my I pad)

Attached Files:

21. Crazybillybob, I could use some 26/27 T roadster measurments as I too am building a track T.

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very nice start! I will be watching this thread great intrest :D

Sent from Mr. ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. Love the sound of this build,will also be keeping an eye on progress. JW :)

24. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Scrap Iron.. I can give you what I have but I have a coupe Body. So There are some things that I just will not be able to measure :).

Right now the body is off the frame so I can get Frame Measurements etc. PM me so we don't high Jack T27's thread more then we have. ;)

CBB

25. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Ya I found this, 150 gal.bulk tank. And I will need your help getting it home:D

Attached Files:

26. evintho

evintho

I built a really simple 4'x4'x3' molasses tank out of 2x4's and a couple of sheets of OSB then lined it with an old pond liner. The entire '27 roadster body fit inside nicely.

Oh yeah...............SUBSCRIBED!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outback likes this.
  27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Cool,,, Maybe we can cut the top off and make a lid for it at work this weekend ( on break or course):D Tim Jones

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  28. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Evintho I am very impressed with your build, the chevy van hood use was awesome. You have a very talented eye. Before I found this body I had a 25 cowl and a frame and a 48 ford hood. I was going to cut the hood in half and use it as bun panels on a homemade roadster. It would have been different, still have it so I might build it later.

Attached Files:

29. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Ya it's has a banjo fitting and a 2" gate valve on the bottom. Should work well for the price.

30. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

While I get to soaking body I'm going to start playing with frame set up. My parts are spread out in 2 places. My parts inventory manager AKA Dragsled has an old chicken coop on his place.Thanks for letting me use it. I'm using 26/27 frame, I was thinking about lowering the rear by building a deeper spring arch anyone else out there built one?

Attached Files: