Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who sells 2" diameter rubber hose lengths for fuel tanks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Looking for a source for 90* bend with some length on both ends so I can cut to length. Any ideas?

2. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Universal radiator hoses at parts stores?

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

4. supervert

supervert

5. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I purchase 3' at NAPA. It was straight, but wire inside and it bent almost 90 degrees without kinking. Good for all types of fuel.

6. I know NAPA has it but probably all the auto parts have it. HRP

7. NAPA has several kinds available, straight and ribbed and a version with a premolded 90 degree on 1 end. Often folks use aluminized exhaust pipe as connectors or as a main pipe with short pieces to make the connections.

And PS, coolant hose and fuel hose are different, fuel will junk coolant hose. Good luck!

8. Radiator hoses aren't fuel rated and don't hold up as well. You might be able to get fuel rated filler neck hose at a shop that does fuel tank repair, or maybe a truck fabrication shop if there's any in your area.

If you can figure out an O.E. application that will work for you, you might be able to still order a new one from a dealer. But the molded ones can be sort of spendy.

9. Thanks, I wasn't sure they would have a selection so I can get what I need. I wonder how resistant to gas a radiator hose would be? Not sure I would trust that solution. I'll give NAPA a try tomorrow.

10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

11. You can get fuel resistant hose for fill necks from Fuel Safe or ATL - they both make very fine fuel cells and have related components such as fill hoses etc

Best
    John

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Radiator hose will deteriorate from the fuel... you need to buy specific gas tank hose, my o'reilly's had 3 hoses that were fuel tanks and were $25 each... I used only 6" of it and kept the rest for another project.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Never ever use "substitute" rubber products for fuel resistant correct products. It's a major "accident" waiting to happen, usually involving roaring flames.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Definitely DONT use radiator hose... the PO of my last econoline did and when I dropped the tank the hose practically fell apart in my hands. The two layers seperated from each other and I had to clean all sorts of shreds of rubber out of the tank/lines/carb. Not fun.

16. No radiator hose for me. Don't worry about that. Napa has one in stock and I will pick it up tomorrow. I'm putting in a 26 gallon tank for the long hauls.

17. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

The Napa Stuff is great, I just did this today, a 90, a 45 and a 45 degree curved exhaust section and everything looks great and works safe. The non ribbed pipe also has a little flex in it which makes fitting everything up that bit easier.

18. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Truckshop in Orange, Ca has is they sell it by the foot! Dont use radiator hose!

19. I believe Bob Drake can sell you fuel hose in that diameter.

20. What type of clamps did you use. Anything special?

21. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

no, just standard hose clamps. I bought some exhaust tube with the creased inner diameter and cut it so that the clamp would get a purchase behind the first rib of the bend once the Gas hose was fitted over it...does that make sense?.. Once mock up is completely finished and I have it dialed in I will run a little gas safe sealer round each end and clamp it all good and tight. Im just using standard hose clamps on the ends too because the tank neck and the external filler i'm using are threaded so the rubber should bite in pretty good and snug when the clamp is tightened round it...

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just went looking for fuel filler hose in my area, and had the opposite problem. Everyone carried 45 and 90 degree pieces, but a simple straight 2" hose was impossible to find in short lengths. Nobody carried stock they were willing to cut, just 2' or longer. At $20 a ft. I didn't need 2'. I ended up poking around at the u pull it for other parts, and found a truck gas tank with a near new 2" hose on it and got it for free.

23. Canuck

Canuck

Picked up some last week. Just needed 5" so didn't want to buy a longer piece that may never be used.

Stopped in at a long established rad/gas tank repair shop in town and they gladly cut me off a piece, and sold it for a reasonable price. They buy it in 3' sections.

Owner told me that the best they have found is the stuff that NAPA sells. Long lasting with a bit of flex. The Goodyear hose is quality but has very little flex and a much higher price.

Canuck

PS: Hose isn't shown, but the exhaust tubing adapter for the fill and tank along with the blow off rings on the tubing are detailed in the linked blog. :cool:

24. like driving to Washington ? LOL :D when are we going to see more updates on the 34 ?

25. flathead okie

flathead okie

Also a tractor supply house will carry it. Thats where I bought mine. And what has been said, never use radiator hose.

26. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Even so, this is one part that is not produced ptfe. Maybe not important as fuel does not sit in side the filler neck/hose for long periods of time. I just replaced all my fuel lines with metal and ptfe but not this part as it is not of great risk to me yet but something that there is not a suitable alternative yet.

1940 Plymouth 2rd coupe