Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plasti-dip anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang6147, Jun 9, 2013.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Well my son comes over today, and tells me about this product he bought.

Its called Plasti dip? Anyone ever use it? His rims look nice and there is also a whole car option.... Get tired of the color? peel it off....

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

2. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I've used it on wrenches :) They came out nice ;)

3. grf-x

grf-x

it peels off. With effort or course. it's not like paint.

4. bgaro

bgaro

i used some on my plug wire holders.....nice.

5. I havent bought condoms in years since discovering this product.

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've used it for years. On my current daily driver both my front bumpers and the emblems are done using Plasti Dip, this is temporary for me because I'm building new bumpers, but it was just done to cover up the scratches in the factory ones. My last daily had the wheels sprayed with it, after a year of use and a little offroading, they still looked great. I peeled one wheel to see how it held up after a year and it peeled off like Elmers glue off your hands. Resprayed and it looked the same as the other 3. It's good on things that aren't handled too often. I sprayed a Maglite handle and it started peeling up on the edges after a little use. I ended up dipping the handle with the non-spray dip can, and that holds up much better, but it's thick and didn't look as nice as the spray.

I used the clear spray on the front valance of my '56 F100. Since that truck was my only vehicle at the time and my daily driver that put down hundreds of miles per week on the highways, I needed something to prevent rock chips on the bumperless valance. I sprayed it with the clear Plasti Dip that I bought online. I'd peel & respray once a month or so. It never darkened, even when sprayed over white, and it certainly helped with the chips. It did make the valance appear to be more of a matte finish, but it was hard to tell since it was so low and the angle it was at. I don't think I'd use it for rock chips on the front of the hood as it would be much more noticeable.

The good thing about this stuff is it comes in the basic colors, and you can buy the specialty stuff in tons of colors and even mix your own nowadays. Your local hardware store will probably only carry black & white spray. It's easy to spray, comes off easy, withstands car washes, daily driving, etc.

There's tons of videos on Youtube showing this stuff being used, abused, and removed.

7. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Awesome. Just awesome.

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

"Dipadeedoodah"

9. 6-71

6-71

Although it isn't traditional,there are videos on youtube about doing emblems and parts with plasti-dip. I have not tried it myself.

10. How is it on your ice cream?

11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Now that's funny !!:D:D:D:D

12. Zeke

Zeke

I'm glad/disturbed I'm not the only one to have this thought.

13. Would that then be Plati-dic ? :D

14. Its just a bit tricky to apply since i use the one in a can..i should wait for tech week....plasti-dic???that is hilarious!!!

15. Only on the HAMB :D

16. Rob68

Rob68

HA HA, Best answer ever!!!!!!

17. BJR

BJR

Good thing it's not a hot dip!

18. belair

belair

The speed of light has nothing on how fast threads can go crazy here. iwanaflattie, you made me laugh out loud.

19. Belair.
    Should I apologize or say you're welcome.

Btw in my vast research,this product is 96% effective.
    It also enhances the tool thickness.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. So you still have silver wheels on the backside because you didn't remove them before you sprayed?

I'm getting old. I miss paint and chrome.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, and the first time you do remove the wheels your plasticoated lugnuts look like crap! Why wouldn't the demonstrater in the video remove the wheels to coat them, so he wouldn't need to mask, or coat lugnuts?

22. Muttley

Muttley