Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another engine diagnosis for the HAMB gods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Jun 8, 2013.

1. powmia

powmia

So I picked up a 1960 Bel Air a couple days ago (pics coming soon!) and drove it 60 miles home with no problems, I started up a hill a mile from the house and it died as soon as I gave it gas...ended up pulling it home. So I figured it might be bad gas or a clogged fuel filter so I topped off the tank and replaced the OG in carb filter with an inline glass one. Now it still has the same problem and I cant figure it out. It cranks up great, and has a smooth idle, if I slowly give it gas it will increase RPMs fine, but if I accelerate or hit the gas in idle it hesitates and almost/or does die. It drove great for 50+ miles two days ago...that's what has me confused. I was thinking timing but wouldn't just lose timing in the last mile of a drive right? Any help would be great, I cant wait to cruise this thing for the summer!
    -Scott

2. powmia

powmia

Oh yeah, it is the OG 283 (w/HEI)/auto, single barrel. The only strange thing I've found is that the TV rod/cable is not hooked up, but it is all there, would that affect it?

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

I rebuilt a Holley two barrel about 13 years ago. First time out we pulled our travel trailer and went abiut that same distance. As soon as we hit a grade it started stalling out.

I pulled the carb off at the roadside. I ended up leaving some old gasket material in the bowl. Every time I hit an incline the material would float back and clog the jet.

Maybe you are experiencing something similar.

4. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

I would check fuel pressure first. Also check the suction line on the pump and make sure it is not loose and sucking air or weak and collapsing. Could be a weak pump, clogged suction line, worn fuel pump push rod or trash in the secondary circuit of the carb. It should be a Rochester 2G 2 barrel. You say its a 1 barrel? What type trans?

5. Does the accelerator pump work ?

6. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Accelerator pump.... shoots a squirt of gas into the venturi when you step on the gas. Look in the carb, move the linkage to open the throttle.....you should see a shot of gas. If not, that's the problem.

7. powmia

powmia

Sorry it is the rochester 2 barrel, with a powerglide. I'll have to check the accelerator pump first thing in the morning. I did pull a bunch of crap out of the old fuel filter, so I'm guessing that there might be some stuff that made it's way to the carb.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crap in the carb bowl, bad accelerator pump, float level not adjusted correctly.

I'm mostly thinking a bad accelerator pump.

9. rld14

rld14

Exactly my thoughts. Sounds almost exactly like a bad accelerator pump.

I. Sure you can get a carb rebuild kit for cheap and have that thing rebuilt in no time.

That being said, any time I buy a car that's 10+ years old I keep the following in mind:

If it touches brake fluid, coolant or fuel and/or (ESPECIALLY and) if it is made of rubber it is not to be trusted.

10. Also check the rubber line that runs to the pickup side of the fuel pump, I had a small block in an old chevy once that whenever you stabbed the gas it would suck the old roted line flat. Run me ragged for a couple of days until I rolled it up against a treee and gave it the gas and my buddy just happened to look down and see the line suck flat. The 2bbl rochester doesn't have much of a float bowl and won't hold much fuel.

11. What is a OG 283?

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sure sounds fuel related. If that isn't it, make sure all is well in your distributor. My SBC was doing that, turned out to be a poorly placed connector within my dizzy for the electronic ignition. The vacuum advance movement was enough to cause a short, causing the ignition to cut out. It's a long-shot, but something else to look out for.

13. pitman

pitman

Old Granny: 195 HP

OMG: 271 HP

14. Weasel

Weasel

Get rid of the glass fuel filter in a hurry - that's a fire waiting to happen - ask me how I know....

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I always use a real good fuel filter on my builds....usually an 86 BMW 325 filter. 5/16" barb ends, large canister, and filters out very fine particles. Regular carb filters will let by a lot of small crap. Fuel inj. ones filter much better, and larger capacity. You can hide it under the car. If you need a larger fuel line, go with a canister style Fram, or similar, with 3/8 barb fittings.
    Since you're in NM, I would also look into vapor lock. Very similar symptoms!

16. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Check the rotor for a black pinhole burn thru

17. powmia

powmia

It looks like the accelerator pump may be the issue, it squirts some but very very weakly. On the plus side I found a 30 foot spool of new hard line in the garage so ill probably just replace everything from the tank to the carb and rebuild the carb today. I'll keep you posted but in the mean time here's a pic to share, thanks guys! ImageUploadedByTJJ1370794665.576694.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

19. Ice man

Ice man

Why not find the problem first and fix the problem. You gona start replacing stuff, and you could make more problems for your self. Fix the problem, and then do some of the other stuff you wanta do later. Been there done that, Iceman

20. powmia

powmia

Problem solved! I did fix the problem, and have a new fuel system to top it off. New pump, lines, filter, pressure gauge and rebuilt carb for 80 bucks and a Saturday afternoon, not a bad day! Still need to tune the carb a little but she's ready to cruise. Thanks for all the help guys!

21. powmia

powmia

I think it was a combo of the accelerator pump and the massive amount of crap at the bottom of the bowl...

22. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

You see that old tv antennae?

ORIGINAL GANGSTA, BOOOOY.