Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadtrip West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lc1963, Jun 9, 2013.

1. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

I have been planning this for quite sometime to celebrate my 50th. I was born in Sacramento but we moved back to the Midwest when I was very young so I remember none of it. My plan is to be in Sacramento on my birthday. I picked many things I wanted to see and tried to tie it together. It is not perfect by any means and would like to have more time. Route 66 Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Bonneville, Coast Highway, Peterson Museum and Grand Canyon are on the list as well as other gearhead related places and museums. Talked a retired friend of mine into going also. I had hoped to take my 54 Chevy truck on the trip but work, time and money got in the way so have to do it with OT vehicle.
    Many thanks to you that have previously posted as it has been a big help. This is what I have come up with.

Leaving June 16th from southeast Iowa to Sioux Falls
    17th to Rapid City, SD
    18th to Gillette, WY
    19th to Yellowstone
    20th at Yellowstone
    21st to Salt lake City, UT
    22nd to Twin Falls, ID
    23rd to Hermiston, OR
    24th to Cannon Beach, OR
    25th to Brookings, OR
    26th to Santa Rosa, CA
    27th to Sacramento then onto San Francisco
    28th at San Francisco
    29th to Ventura
    30th to LA
    July
    1 at LA
    2nd to Needles
    3rd to Lake Havasu then Vegas
    4th at Las Vegas
    5th to Grand Canyon Village
    6th to Albuquerque
    7th to Amarillo
    8th to Oklahoma City
    9th to Springfield Mo
    10th to St Louis then Iowa

2. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Highway 1 definitely on the list. Hearst Castle also

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gotta second HWY 1! I've done it several times in the Plymouth and it is beautiful!

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I saw Coast Highway in your post and knew what you meant. Big Sur is nice, but I like Highway 1 ( the Mendocino Coast) between SF and Fort Bragg more for the precarious, edge-of-your-seat, slide-off-the-cliff into the ocean thrill drive.

When going south on Hwy.1 through Carmel take the detour of 17 Mile Drive. There's a small fee but the scenic drive meanders through Pebble Beach golf course and you can check out the Lone Cypress, the logo of Pebble Beach. It's worth it.

And don't forget to stop and check out Morro Rock in Morro Bay. It's a sanctuary for peregrine falcons and I've seen them dive-bomb seagulls there, taking them right out of the sky.

5. acmechris

acmechris

HWY 101 down the Oregon Coast is very nice Crescent City CA. is about 20 miles south of Brookings Or. (no need to stop there, no offense if you got friends or family there). Gas up in Brookings, last chance for fairer prices. The (some of whats left of the very little old growth) scenic, spiritual, majestic Redwoods starts. Be sure to take the Newton Drury Park bypass about 30 miles south of C.C. (It dead ends, hooks you back up to HWY 101 [it is old 101]. Like I said take it. "They have cut almost all of the old trees, yup, there is not enough to sustain whats left. Take it, you will not lose any time. My back yard and I like my father and his mother have lived here all my life. Enjoy, Happy Birthday and have a safe ride. acmechris

6. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

As you head south down the 1 after you have seen hearst castle and morro bay (rock)
    stop at Mclintocks steak house for some really good food and a great ocean view. Then on to Pismo Beach to kick back and enjoy the central coast of california. Happy Birthday

7. pinman 39

pinman 39

Cool Classic Nights Twin Falls Idaho City Park June 21-23
    Maybe see ya there .

8. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

Aww...you're going to miss Reno and our auto museum with the Westerguard car and the Beatnik Bandit! You could hop over the other side when you're in Sac. We're only two hours away!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Thanks for all the heads up
    Only picked Brookings because of mileage

10. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Looking forward to Twin Falls even more now.

11. wow...cool deal....good luck on the trip.....Sac is wher my gear headness came from....

12. On a side note the LA Roadster show and swapmeet is on the 28-30 in pomona.

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

congrats on the 50th and the road trip! im wanting to plan the west trip soon! just turned 60 and i have to do it! just retired and want to do it with the hotrod. please stay in touch, im taking notes on your highlights of the trip.

14. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Looking at the timeline on your itinerary , I'd venture to say that you don't have enough time for all the things you want to do . But I'll be optimistic and hope that you have a great and memorable trip .

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Yellowstone to Salt Lake then to Twin Falls seems to be a bit out of the way unless you intend to turn right at Salt Lake and go across to Wendover and then to Elco before turning north to Twin Falls unless you plan to stop at Bonneville for the photo opp.

It sounds like a great trip though.

I checked it on the map if this works.
    Minus the first and last legs out of and back into the secret hideout in Iowa you have 5382 miles with no side trips mapped out so probably 5700 miles.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ju36qbTYhzFb4Lsiyuo5vg&oq=St+l&t=h&mra=ls&z=5

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  16. You will love Cannon Beach Or.I suggest the Tolovana Inn to stay at.Clam Chowder at Mo's.The Wayfarer is also very good food

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Check out the disappearing Ocean Glass Beach near Ft. Bragg.

18. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

I was born on the Air Force Base in Sacramento. My dad and I always talked about going out so he could show me where things were. He passed away several years in a car accident. We traveled to many car events together and helped each other build cars. He was my best friend. I want to see the places he talked about. My sons are grown now and out. Both are doing well and we have carried on the traditions of my father and I. We continue to go to shows and races to this day.
    My dad never got to go to many places we talked about. We never know when our time runs out - My father reminded me of that. The trip is ambitious and I will have to pick and choose as I go. But in the spirit of traveling with my dad we will go early, plan ahead and see what happens everyday. We had many great adventures. Now I continue the adventures. I tell my wife and family that I never want to be in a nursing home saying all the things I wished I had done. I want to be the one telling the stories of you should have been there. I appreciate all the heads up and what to look for. The hamb is one of the greatest wealth of information I have found. Thank you all again.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  19. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

It comes out more that that for miles,Mr48chev. I am only going down through Salt Lake to see Bonneville, bucket list thing. Living in southeast Iowa we tend to have to drive to get to everything. I tried to keep it around 320 miles a day. For us, It's like driving to St. Louis and spending the day. Some days are shorter, some are longer. I figure many days the scenery is the thing to see. I knew when I planned it I wouldn't see everything but if I never get back west - I saw a lot.

20. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Good for you taking the trip. Keep an open mind , if you want to stop , do it. The memories will be good even if you get 1/2 of what you plan. You look like you'll come thru this area and if you do, near baker city is a great Oregon trail museam. A lot of the hot rodders are going on cruise Idaho, they will be over towards the coast ,so you may see a bunch of them. have a blast stay safe Jack

21. Special Ed

Special Ed

This information is incorrect. LARS is this coming weekend (15th-16th) at the Fairplex in Pomona ... :cool:

22. big M

big M

If you'd like to visit a vintage wrecking yard, I'm 60 miles north of Sacramento, I'll give you the grand tour!

---John

23. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Leaving tomorrow at 7am and should hit Sioux Falls by supper.

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Don't think he's driving that part of Hwy 1.

Actually used to be the dumps way back when. It's full of ocean-polished glass pieces of all colors and old engines and spark plugs cemented in rusty globs.

25. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Was planning 101 to 1 to 128
    7 hours on the road
    352 miles

26. OldiesSpeedShop

OldiesSpeedShop
    from Ventura Ca

Cruise on by our Saturday Morning Coffee Cruise if your in the Ventura area. Small and informal no judging we accept any and everything. Wear your boots or hightops though :eek:

27. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Will be in Ventura that evening but appreciate the offer. On day 8 now in Hermiston. Already packed full of amazing memories.
    Walked through twin falls cruise night last night, caught the waterfall and bridge. Watched base jumpers parachute off the bridge this morning. Crazy!
    Bonneville for the second time (first time was 47 years ago and don't remember it) - Powerful experience to think the history that has been made there.
    Columbia River drive and Portland tomorrow finishing in Cannon Beach tomorrow night .
    Everything going as scheduled and the side stops are a blast.
    To anyone in Boise - Your capitol building is impressive and your downtown is very nice too.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be much better when you can post some pics

29. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Pics from Bonneville
    These cars showed up while we were there

Attached Files:

30. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to little old Hermiston ! We did the Bonneville trip for speed week last summer. It was amazing and well worth the drive. Too bad I've got to work tomorrow early, or I'd take yah out for breakfast.