Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 'Mo, Jun 8, 2013.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

First, I have little paint knowledge.

I'm thinking of having the paint store package me some rattle can paint to match my car, so I can cover primer areas as I continue to customize. (I can't get away with using a gun here in suburbia.)
    It will eventually be sanded for a complete re-paint.

What type of paint base should I use? The clerks at the paint store have not been much help in the past. Thanks in advance.

2. robertsregal

robertsregal

I personally would not spend money and time on paint product that I knew I would have to strip off to do it the right way. I was a 25 year auto body technition and of the mind do it right once!! my two cents.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ agreed. Why do it twice? leave the worked area in primer til you're all done, then paint it. That's how the kids did it back in the day, I bet.

4. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Have them mix it in basecoat. That way with a couple light coats, you will get some color on your primer, but no worries of lifting if you used enamel... when you go to repaint.

5. redroaddog

redroaddog

base coat would work fine and it is a good idea to cover the primer in you drive it while you work on it as primer has no uv protection and will break down it also lets water thru it and will rust and ruin your work.....Dave:cool:

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

No disrespect intended here, but advice from a pro body and paint person almost never takes into consideration that some of us will use the car for a year or two between the first primer and final prep work. This does not happen at a body shop. Use what ever you plan to use for final paint, if you are going with a base/clear system just use base coat.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Lacquer spray paint. Will protect, goes on thin, and easy to sand off.
    Basecoat is pretty porous. Enamel too thick and sticky to sand off easily.

8. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I use a polyester primer as a base. It works really good and holds up really well, also sands easy... Brand is called Slick Sand... Check it out

9. 'Mo

'Mo

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input. I will consider all of your recommendations.
    And yes, it will be quite some time before the face lift is complete.
    Much appreciated.

10. Good advise!
    The ONLY temporary paint I'd use.

11. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

6.JPG

3.JPG

7.JPG Paint job by stupid thieves, not recommended!!! Besides, they ruined my favorite finish, rust and red oxide!