Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 Ford coupe w/ F.E. Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Jun 8, 2013.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sure this question has been asked many times over the years. I have a '40 coupe. Right now I have a Max Wedge Dodge and pushbutton trans. going in it. I have made everything to do it. Engine and trans. mounts, headers, etc. When I started this project I wanted an F.E. Ford. But I couldn't find one that made me take notice. I had the Dodge stuff sitting around from another project that I had sold. I tried it and it fit pretty good, so I went with it. Yesterday I ran across a older guy with a 410 F.E. with 2-4's on it and an auto trans. Looking at it got me a little interrested. How much trouble is it to put one of these in my car? I have the stock frame, firewall and x-member. Is it worth going backwards to get an all Ford car?

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

I like big Mopars motors as much as anything......... but a 410 FE in a '40? Go for it!. Royce Glader and Pinkees Rod Shop built a '36 roadster a few years ago w/a big FE in it and it is a killer! I saw it again this weekend and it's one of the nicest '36's I've ever seen. Don't really recall seeing a '40 with an FE recently, but '36's and '40's share the same frame so go for it!

3. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Either way it is cooler than shit IMO.
    What trans behind the fe,if it is a cruise o matic I would look to put something else there.
    I didn't have much luck with one behind a stout 406.
    Mounts are mounts and anything will fit if you try hard,other than a hemi Chrysler is the engine I see the least of in hot rods.
    The push button is a 11 in the cool factor as well.
    Tough choice,either way its a winner.
    Make shure you post pics when your done.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is an picture of the motor in the car. It is kinda out right now. Had to do a little more welding to the front crossmember. Will post a couple more pictures of the pushbutton and stuff later. Thanks for the input, Gene.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      493.2 KB
      Views:

5. Don't know the details, but I saw a 40 coupe at a Goodguys and it had a 427 in it and it looked like it fit pretty good. So I think you can do it as well as the Dodge.

And I really like the color you are painting it.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

The one area you will need to address for sure is oil pan to front crossmember clearance. The easiest way is put a deeper crossmember center in the like out of a 41- 48 Ford. That or just lower the center section of the existing crossmember. Notch your pan or get a rear sump from a truck FE. That should do fine on the most problematic area.

7. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

keep the 413 in it

8. 4tford

4tford

My buddy's 40 runs a 429 ford in his and it fits good between the rails. Your 413 looks good in there also. I built my 40 with a hemi because it was part of a project I picked up. If I was to do it again I would build it with an FE. Either way you choose it will be a nice ride.

9. weathrmn

weathrmn

I have a 39 tudor with 427 FE. It's not on the road. However it does fit. I have a Mustang II front end. the oil pan I used was from a 4 wd pick up 72-74? with an FE. The pan is a rear sump so get the oil pump pick up with it. The pick up tube has a bracket on it that bolts to the side of the block, you can drill and tap it. I used 61 FE cast iron short headers, notch the frame a little. I am using a remote oil filter, no room for the filter in it's original spot. Use an electric fan, with the radiator in the original place, the water pump shaft is at the top of the radiator. Firewall has to be cut out.

There are not too many early Fords with FE's. Go for it

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm building my '40 with a 428CJ, TKO 600 and M11 front end. The oil pan is a '60s 330" truck rear sump, and motor mount/cross member is C.E. As mentioned, must use a remote filter, electric fan, and a 3" firewall recess. Headers are Sanderson block huggers. The later '65 up bell with the shorter starter allows more room with the RF X member, but the torque box/X center have to be heavily modified.

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My '40 had a 390 in it two engines ago. Ran it with a C6 trans and nine inch rear. Took a substantial notch out of the firewall, and the motor didn't sit too low in the chassis in order to get clearance on the front crossmember. Ran a stock axle and split bones, fenderwell headers. With 3.90 rear gears and L60-15 tires, it could more than keep up with traffic.

The fan was kind of high on the radiator, so it didn't always cool as well as you would like. Of course, this was in the early-mid 1970s, when good electric fans were not nearly as available. I think with a few upgrades easily available these days cooling shouldn't be a problem. When I was in my 20s, it didn't seem like too much of a problem, LOL.

Have fun. It is certainly possible, and makes a strong combination.

12. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I like it.

13. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the input and info. Sounds like a lot more work to get the F.E. in there than I thought. Think I'll stick with the Dodge for now. I am going to get the 410 and just rat-hole it for now. Thanks, again. Gene.