Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional Hot Rods at Gilmore Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, May 30, 2013.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just to remind us what traditional Hot Rodding is (amidst the cobwebs, skulls, and rattle can primered mid 50's 4 doors), the Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo's new exhibit, organized by Dennis Lesky of Ionia Rod Shop, should jar us back into what it's all about.

The exhibit will run for two years, and while Dennis probably has "Regret" every time he'd like to go for a ride, the rest of us are deeply in debt.

Check out the pics, but better yet, visit the Gilmore Museum, and get back to your roots.

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Gilmore has to be a great collection to visit, they just opened a Model A Ford museum on the grounds as well. bob

3. cmarcus

cmarcus

Looking forward to seeing it! Will the exhibit be open during Relix Riot? That is the plan for my first shakedown run in the 50. Thanks for the reminder Brian!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, the entire museum is open during the Relix Riot! Don't miss it!

Brian

5. Man I can't air to see this in August! I love the Gilmore....if you've never been...you must..he'll the barns are cool enough! The cars are a bonus!

6. turbochick

turbochick

Awesome! Will be there this fall for Relix Riot.

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I didn't know Tommy Fosters baby blue roadster was part of the exhibit. Love that car. Met Tommy at the deuce 75th, asked him why he chose baby blue. He said,"Cause I knew I would be easy to get the ladies to go for a ride". You can't argue that logic.

8. JCShiels

JCShiels

Been there 3 times since they opened this exhibit. Seeing the A-Bros tag on the firewall of the Silver Sapphire was interesting. I grew up in Southfield MI, does anyone here know where their shop was located at in Southfield?

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

If you wait untill the fall, you'll miss the Riot, 'cause it's in August!

Brian

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Good info here:

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Alexander_Brothers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I went to the Gilmore when I went to the Autorama this year. Fabulous place and those are cars from my younger days. Tommy Fosters roadster was in the first Autorama and I was there as a 13 year old kid. I helped with the Little Deuce coupe in its beginning. Keith Ashley recreation of the Larry Ernst Chevy second version is spot on. Gotta get back up there.

12. Too cool to have a big ass painting of the wicked sisters of the Rolling Bones for a back drop.

13. JCShiels

JCShiels

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its really kool to see that gilmore let dennis get this pulled together. as said before the museum is a must see. it is very nice.

15. JCShiels

JCShiels

If the O. P. Brian would give permission perhaps this thread could be used to inquire about or share information about the cars in this exhibit. I have specific questions about certain cars but don't want to hijack this thread.

16. Deuces

Deuces

The "Deuce Coupe" is one of my favorites....

17. Thanks for sharing.

18. FASI

FASI

I too grew up in Southfield ( 1950 - 58). A Bros. shop was on Northwestern Hwy. just SE of Telegraph. The Xway caused it to be demolished. Visited often after school and bought their air compressor when they moved. Wish I had kept it as a piece of custom car history.

19. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Saw the exhibit last week during the Classic Car Club concours. Great stuff and so well done. I think Gilmore is the best car museum in the US.

20. CayoRV

CayoRV

Whats the date for the Riot this year?

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Second Sat. In August (?), but check the Gilmore event page to be sure. No worrisome about hi-jacking the thread asking questions about cool old cars, either!

Brian

22. JCShiels

JCShiels

Thanks Brian, I would like to know more about the full fendered A phaeton with side-mount spares. The only other 2 door tub I remember seeing is the restored one in the new Model A building. I noticed that the rodded one is suspended in the front by torsion bars. also the top of the cowl has twin vents and windshield wipers - possibly from a sportscar. So who built this car? Also what is the story behind the bubble-top Corvair?

23. Deuces

Deuces

Cool!... The "BiG" Cruise on Woodward is the following weekend..:cool:

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

25. koolkat269

koolkat269

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It's on my schedule, soon. See ya, Bryan. Gary

27. CayoRV

CayoRV

I knew it! Have to miss it this year for the first time, daughter is getting married that weekend. I knew I should have talked them into eloping!

Chuck

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Nope, my heart tells me I have to go to the HAMB Drags. This will be 11 years as I have never missed one. My heart would break if I didn't get to see the usual HAMB Drags pals that weekend.

29. lowelife

lowelife

Can't wait for the Riot this year, its always a blast. Now new museum cars makes it even better.