Register now to get rid of these ads!

WOW oven cleaner really works!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jun 8, 2013.

1. I have tried a little of every thing to clean the engine cradle while I had the motor and trans out on my 1956 buick special station wagon. Some one suggested oven cleaner .I tried it and let it soak over night, then hit it with pressure washer. Wow it took all the old grease and crud off. I was able to prime the inside of the engine cradle and sides, I am leaving the original green on the fire wall where I found the numbers and painting the rest black Monday. Bruce.:cool:

2. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Thanks for that good news, Bruce! I've got similar tasks ahead on my 55 3100, and I'll sure give it a try.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was amazed how it works too. Then, my ex wife, in all her wisdom, told me that anyone who's ever been in a kitchen would know that oven cleaner cleans the grease out of an oven. How could it NOT clean the grease on something else?

Just don't get any in your eyes.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't get any on aluminum...

5. Blow by I don't think I have to worry about that on this 56 buick wagon.I am just sayin LOL. Bruce.

6. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

many years ago i worked at a golf coarse maintaining the equipment , i tried everything to get some golf cart seats that were old looking a little better just by chance i tried some over cleaner on them . it whitened them up like brand new

7. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I wonder about using it on an engine or transmission - think it would harm aluminum, or gasket material?

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It"burns" aluminum if you leave it on for more than a few minutes....it turns aluminum black.

9. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Yea, blowby, that's what I thought I read somewhere, that aluminum and ammonia don't mix... or brass and copper, I think.

10. Canus

Canus

Can also be used on Aluminum trim to remove anodizing prior to polishing. If used on Aluminum it MUST be removed pretty quickly as it will eat through if left on too long.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

True, would kind of defeat the whole purpose of a '56 Buick wouldn't it. :)

Carb might be...

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Back in the old days when sign painters used paint and not vynal for lettering, we ued oven cleaner (in the yellow can) to remove lettering from trucks.
    Once I sprayed it on and left it for about 5 min. and when I came back, the letters slid off the truck and on the floor in one piece!
    Usualy it would take a plastic scraper to do the job.

NEVER do it on a blue truck! (it will turn it green)
    Don't do it on a yellow truck, it will turn it white.

Use water to wash it off after about a few min. or it could disolve the base paint.

13. If you have dollar store get it there. A buck a can is a much better price than the grocery store sells it for. I have used it many times for cleaning the gunk off of stripped down chassis.

14. what about brake dust on chrome?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

"How is it on stains?"

-Josey Wales

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just gave it a whirl on this old Hemi, I didn't spray the side of the block, look how it cleaned the pan. I am sold!

Attached Files:

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sodium Hydroxide (lye). It'll burn-be sure to use good rubber gloves.
    Floor wax stripper and I believe Castrol Super Clean also have it. Let it sit for a few then scrub with a heavy Scotchbrite pad or steel wool before rinsing.

18. Cruiser

Cruiser

It's good for removing pin stripping, be ready with water hose. Don't let it stay long on the paint only for a few seconds and water it down. It will leave the paint dull, just buff it back up.

CRUISER :cool:

19. Zeke

Zeke

Not the stuff I have in my work kitchen, which is a commercal grade gel. I'm constantly using on burnt on crap in aluminum pots it'll remove surface oxidation and that's about it.

20. chubbie

chubbie

easy off was always my first choice, till i couldn't get it one day:( so i bought the cheap stuff...works a lot better!!!! easy off is a foam and it blows away. the cheaper stuff is a slime! slime is the shit!!!

21. I used to load up a couple greasy blocks in the back of my pickup. head to the grocery store buy 2 cans of oven cleaner. Apply one can to the engine blocks, go to the local burger joint , grab one to go. Apply another coat and then drive to the local quarter toss car wash. Drop the tailgate and blast it off. apply another coat, park across the street, eat my burger. Head back to the quarter toss and blast me again. By the time I got back home the blocks would be nice and dry!

Worked every time until the owner caught me! I am not allowed on the property anymore.

22. Can't understand why!

23. keep it away from any wiring.........

24. jpsmit

jpsmit
    from CANADA

Been working on my daughter's Honda CT90. Scrubbing Bubbles does a good job on aluminum.

25. skrapin_64

skrapin_64
    from Chino ,CA

Growing up my dad used to always have me spray down the motors with oven cleaner and then hose them off. That was one of my chores growing up along with helping wash wrenches and whatever bolts were full of grease in a can of gas.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. jesse1980

jesse1980

Cool I'll try it on my front frame and cradle.

27. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Ha Ha:D

28. Glad to hear all the good tips guys! Bruce.

29. 1941coupe

1941coupe

warning ware gloves and eye protection this stuff contains lye