Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 All Steel Willys Gasser - Ex Elverne Pfeifer car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KevinS, Mar 16, 2013.

1. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

A few more shots of the rear fenders with tires/wheels now on. The deck lid is being fitted and wired. Note: The brushed aluminum inserts going in to match the all aluminum interior.

Attached Files:

2. BSHOVELSR

BSHOVELSR

Cool, thanks for sharing.

3. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The panel for the ignition and headlights are being fitted behind the drivers side glove box. The computer for the injection is behind the passenger side.

Pic. 2 shows the fabrication that Tim Robbins created. The rocker panels were all made by LMR and all fit around the cage and tie into the firewall. We wanted to see the machine head screws and bolts throughout the body to resemble how the aluminum was put together when Pfeifer raced the car. Every bolt throughout the car has a machined top to it (looks brushed like the aluminum interior panels and engine pieces). LMR also fabricated 2 sets of headers. One shown here that goes into a collector and exhaust under the car. The second comes off of the flange shown in the middle of the header and then comes into a "zoomie" style header under the front fenders similar to what it looked like in 1964. It will primarily be shown with the "zoomie" style headers since they look so cool!

Pic. 3 show a simple cover for the top of the radiator. It is of course brushed but cleaned it up.

Pic. 4. shows the one-off front clip that bolts to the front fenders and center piece of the front end. Note: it slides into the front connector and cage. When the fenders unbolt, the entire front end can slide right off in one pieces exposing the entire front end of the car.

Attached Files:

4. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Status updates: The front sheet metal is ready and being painted now. Doors are ready to be hung. Finish wiring the front end of the car, some odds and ends, and a lot of sanding, buffing, detailing etc. to happen. The goal was to have it at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green. Yet, that is in 3 weeks! Not sure if we will make it or now. However, I will have it ready for July shows no matter what! Hope to meet some of you that like the car.

5. hemi v8

hemi v8

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

6. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Love this build!

7. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Tim Robbins at LMR tweeted this picture showing the doors now on the car. I haven't seen it in person yet. When I do, I will get more photos. We are still trying to make the final push to get it done for Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green. Not sure if we will make it or not. You can follow Tim on Twitter at @liquorboxracing.

Attached Files:

8. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Doors are on, glass is being cut for the doors and trim is ready to go on. If you look close enough, you will see the pins for the hinges. We can pull the pins for the doors to come off.

Attached Files:

9. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are some pictures of the doors with all new mechanisms for the glass. Also showing a closer picture of the pins on the chrome hinges.

Attached Files:

10. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The front end is now painted. Pic. 1 shows the inside of hood being sanded. Pic. 2 shows the front fenders ready to be sanded and buffed. Pic. three is the grille section being sanded and ready to be buffed.

It is coming down to the end. I am so ready for it all to be done after 3 years of building. Still hope to see everyone at Hot Rod Reunion. I am crossing my fingers.

Attached Files:

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Grats ,your time line is well worth the effort .It's a beauty.:cool::D

12. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are a few pictures of the inside. Tim finished the panel behind the driver's side glove box. It has the ignition and headlight switch located there. So much work has gone into the aluminum interior and all the pieces to make it all fit together. The column drop was made to match the steering wheel. LMR also laser cut the shift handle (see their website now - for sale). The headrests were also cut to match the other pieces.

Attached Files:

13. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

These pics show the trunk with the dual batteries now installed. The cover is yet to have been made to cover them and the fuel lines.

Door glass is going in today then the doors will be fitted more with the additional weight in the doors.

The deck lid is on and now has the trim on it. The rear bumper still has to be installed.

Attached Files:

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Lovely tin work !!!

15. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Pic 1 shows the detail and different pieces for the firewall and tying into the floor.

Pic 2 shows the custom made tach that Tim Robbins at LMR created. The entire piece was molded together and formed into one piece which Dayton Wire Wheels chromed.

Pic 3 shows the laser cut shift handle that LMR made to match many other pieces throughout the car.

Pic. 4 shows the pieces for the top cap that ties the rear firewall to the body and yet, surrounds the cage.

Pic. 5 shows the headrests that were made by LMR and then covered by Bob Lyons (along with the black leather seats) at Lyons Auto Trim in Brookville, OH. Bob has been a part of multiple Riddler builds and also did the interior in our 32 Rockne.

Attached Files:

16. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The goal is to drive the car for the first time tomorrow! So excited after 3 years to actually sit and drive it! The front sheet metal is ready to go on in the next day or so. After we drive the car, the "zoomie" style headers will go on. If we are going to go to the Hot Rod Reunion next weekend, we might as well go as a "Hot Rod" and be loud!

The car should be 99% done for next weekend with just a few details to complete when we return.

I am praying that nothing gets in the way for the car to get done for next weekend. We have 5 days to get it all done and ready go. Wish us luck!

17. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

Good luck. Wish I could be there to see it. Hope you will post some photos from various angles when complete. Thanks.

18. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

A lot of action was going on today at LMR shop. The dome light went in, rear view mirrors, inside and out went on as well as the rocker panels. The little details are coming together.

Attached Files:

19. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

This is the view from the driver's seat for the first time. The seats went in today and the first test drive was done down the road! Sitting in the Willys is completely different than the 32 Rockne. My Rockne sits low and on the ground. I can see everything in front of me but tough to see out the back. The Willys sits up high. I can see more out of the rear but can't see the ground in front of me. Two completely different cars. Both have different attitudes as well. The Willys needs a little more tuning, but just barely pushing the gas, it was very!!! powerful and ready to launch!

Attached Files:

20. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Getting ready for the first drive down the road. So exciting after 3 years of consistent work at the LMR shop. It was also the first time I have really seen the car outside and not just under the lights. Awesome.

Attached Files:

21. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

More shots outside. Pic. 2 shows the sun shining down on the dark blue paint. The deck lid has the brushed aluminum inserts now all in.

The front end is ready to go on in the next day or so. You can see in pic. 4 the chrome ladder bars that LMR made to look like they did in 1964. The chrome straight axle, springs and shocks are visible. LMR made the polished stainless stacks for the injection.

Attached Files:

22. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

23. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Very nice. How exciting, cant wait to see the front sheet metal go on. Congrats

24. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Thank you! The front sheet metal should be on by this Wednesday. We will load it by Thursday and off to Hot Rod Reunion. I am sure we will have a few bugs to still work out on it when we return and one more piece to make in the trunk but for the most part it will be complete.

Please introduce yourself this year if you attend some of the shows that we are at.

Thank you to those with positive feedback.

25. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I cant wait to see it next weekend, looks great!

26. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The Willys is great and I think the Rockne looks good as it is but it was way cooler as your dad had it. i always liked that car in purple. But, that's just my opinion the good thing is the car lives on and isn't just stored in a garage somewhere. Post a pic of it if you have one from when it was purple.

27. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are some pics of the Rockne back in the 70's and what it looks like now. The car looks like it does now because before my father passed away, it was how we was going to primarily build it. He bought the suspension, engine and trans, seat, and a lot of the other parts. We just finished the car over a 13 year period and tried to take it to the next level. I am confident that no matter how it was finished, my father is looking down and happy that it is done and out once again. The problem with a 13 year build is a lot changes over that time and trends come and go. Either way, I am sure that it is the only one like it out there.

I like different things and doing different things to my cars that others haven't done before. I don't want a cookie cutter car. The Rockne and the Willys should be just that.

Attached Files:

28. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

hi what are you useing to hold up the trunk lid.i have a steel body willys too.i like your trunk set up.thanks jay

29. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

30. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

You can also see a picture of them in post # 110 with the trunk up.