Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pierce Arrow Land Speed Racer with Aluminum Foil Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Apr 15, 2013.

1. alsancle

alsancle

I would try to search out "old timers" in and around the warehouse where it was supposed to be stored in the 1980s. You only need a snippet of a name to give you a thread to follow. Once you have a single detail to go on it will make things much easier. Eventually some pictures will turn up but that could take years.

2. alsancle

alsancle

I think this car sheathed in aluminum would really be a show stopper. I also love the movie prop L29 from "Speed" Hopefully that car will be restored. Granted it would be great if you had pictures of either car going down a straightway on a lakebed but even as "props" or hot rods they stand on their own as cool artifacts of a previous time.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What about a Pierce Arrow owner's club ? Could be a good source of info / history. It's definitely a good looking ride.

4TTRUK

4. There is a Pierce Arrow museum here in Buffalo N.Y. I don't know if they would be any help. But you could try contacting them for any info.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Tudorfritz,..... Where in Buffalo is the Pierce Arrow Museum ? The factory bldgs at Elmwood and Great Arrow Aves were occupied during the 50's by Erie County Tech Institute, and were still there in 1992.

4TTRUK

6. http://www.pierce-arrow.com/
    It's downtown near the baseball stadium. It's not huge only maybe 20-30 cars but a lot of other Pierce Arrow history stuff too. Just might be someone there that will know something. Hope it helps, definitely a cool car and would love to hear the story behind it. Good luck, Scott Fritz

7. I see alot of coach works there. and the ribs puts me of a boat its not far featched. the pre 41 time could be a real clue and that P.A frame wasnt cheap even then that speaks of some money spent. glad your saving it. Bob

8. edinmass1602

edinmass1602

As a active member of the Pierce Arrow Society from the early 80's I can assure you there is no information on this car from what I could find out. It has been tossed around in the members chat area and there were no comments or leads on who built it or when. The why would also be interesting to find out. I still think it is looking like an advertising or movie project. Ed

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

Still trying to uncover history on the Pierce Arrow LSR car. A lot of clues but no smoking gun....yet. However, researching Pierce Arrow history I of course was aware of the 1933 Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow show cars. Five were hand built in 1932-33 and they were quite extraordinary for the time. Most unique was the sweeping fenderline that was flush with the door. Many cars after the war would be built this way. (was this the first?). The Pierce Arrow Land speed streamliner has a body line that to me looked very similar to the 1933 Silver Arrow so I did a little cutting and pasting and was quite shocked to see how closely the body side line matched the Silver Arrow. Did this LSR influence the Silver Arrow and give the designer the idea for the integral fender to door design? Check out these photos and tell me what you think....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Attached Files:

10. thunderplex

thunderplex

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Makes me wonder where the rear end design of the Chrysler Crossfire came from.

12. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'd be interested to hear any LSR builders' opinions on the car regarding the quality of the structure of the build. I'm no engineer, but that framework doesn't look like something that was put together with the idea of setting speed records. My bet is a backyard project that never saw the road. Then again, I'm no LSR car builder...

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I do have to say I agree with the idea of covering that thing in aluminum! That could be a very cool car.

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I were at Bonneville in October of 2001. There was a guy running a Pierce Arrow powered Pierce Arrow. Maybe if you could find that guys name, he might be a lead.

15. You are correct Mac.

16. TomBartlett

TomBartlett

What would be the benefit of doing it?

17. alsancle

alsancle

So what is the latest on this?

18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

alsancle,

I doubt we will ever know...ol' James427 went and got himself banned from the site. Unfortunate. It would have been cool to see how this turned out...