Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some getting started advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeremyBurke, May 27, 2013.

1. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Today the carpets in the car come out. They are ruined and at this point only making any rust in the floor pans worse with their damp moldiness. Probably will have to remove the seats as well but just to get the carpet out. After the nasty carpet and its resident bugs are out I am going to clean out the garage and make space for the car. Will post pictures of floors once I see them. And the car in the garage. As that will be a milestone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at those pics, I would say you did alright. I really like your car and it looks to be very complete. I'm with Squablow in that I would stay with the stock bench seat. You can easily retro-fit belts in there. And JerryLee mentioned making a priority list of sub-projects. Great idea. That way you're not all over the map doing stuff and you can check 'em off as you go. Take your time, ask questions here if you need to and you'll be on the road.

Good luck and have fun. :)

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I had a friend that wanted and built a '32 three window. Only problem was that he had three kids. Deuce three window seats three tight. We all suggested a sedan but he would not listen. Well the car almost caused a divorce, you are so right to include your kids in your project, it will make it a lot easier with your wife. Good luck with your project!

4. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I think you scored a home run

5. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks for all the support guys. I am going to need it. This is a big project and my first car rebuild. The boys are a little young to help much now. But I am sure before its done they will be able to help a bunch. Mostly now they will be enjoying a few drives with me. Once it's running of course.

6. shadams

shadams

Love that car. The guy that got me into cars had one of those. One night when I was 17 he threw the keys at me and told me to go have fun. Although the car was a POS it had a pretty wicked 302 in it and was a stick. Went to the local cruise with a friend and pretended it was mine, ha... Anyway, I think you did good, and looks like it will clean up well. Get some green scotchbrite pads and CLR, I bet that dash will look great (I am assuming it is metal) and at least make the outside look a little more presentable. Plus the kids could help with that with some rubber gloves... It is a little fumey though so maybe some little masks or something, you be the judge..Then some super fine steel wool on the chrome and windows, bam, much nicer....

7. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Anybody got some good advice for cleaning these door trim pieces? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370725022.690493.jpg

Took my boys to the local car show this morning. Mama went to get a massage. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370725069.968640.jpg

Little man got all tuckered out.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370725108.318200.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You did good. As for the door trim pieces, steel wool and CLR for now, later you might see if you can find some new ones or make some out of Stainless bar. Kinda of looks like the ants ate the vinyl off the front seat. Take your time to start out and don't tackle a big job until you are really comfortable with your skills. Not having a lot of money right now can be your friend, that means you can focus on the tasks that labor and time intensive. At first, things can get a little overwhelming but don't get discouraged.

9. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks hotrod40coupe. I am trying to just focus on what I can do. RIGHT NOW, and not worry about how to redo the drip rail gutter that I have no idea about. Also if your name is indicative of your car. My dad is very envious of you. That has been his dream his whole life. If you find yourself near Eugene Oregon maybe drop in and take him for a spin.

10. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

For the seat out and all the loose stuff up off the floor. The rears have some surface rust but I think they are still solid enough to save.
    The fronts are a different story all together. The drivers side isn't too bad.

The passenger however is way way gone and soft all over.

So will be breaking out the spot weld removal tool and replacing that whole pan. So any source recommendations for floor pans all the way to the firewall. Would be really appreciated. Here are a few more shots of the damage. Need to keep reminding me the body is very very straight so a couple floor pans is no big deal.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736135.407013.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736157.323451.jpg

Thanks all for the continues support and advice.

11. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Some how I screwed up the picture attachments. Here's another try. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736449.206835.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736466.640456.jpg

Those are the rears.

And now the fronts.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736495.706898.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736516.973623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736547.974203.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736583.240503.jpg

I almost forgot to mention fogging out my little buddies the ant colony.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370736625.757212.jpg
    They are small but they are there.

12. Look in to coating the floor with POR-15 once you have replace the floor plans. This stuff east rust. I covered my entire frame and will do the under side of my body as well.

13. Jbuhl1954

Jbuhl1954

Fordor41, this is great advise!!! Just areas out your spending bit try to maximize your fun!!!!

14. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks for the tip. I have heard good things about that product. I will have to get some of that. For the winter rust removal time. Right now I just want her to get started and on the road so I can enjoy her for our few beautiful months of Oregon sun shine.

15. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

I was wondering if any of you Fairlane guys have switched over to an alternator from the stock generator? How big a deal is it at what makes the best donor alt? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371183481.561694.jpg

16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Jeremy,
    In you r original post you ask for advice on how to find time to work on the car with a young family. When I did my first car, (37 Nash) 7 or so years ago, it was with 4 small to early teenage kids. What I did was work in the garage after they were in bed for the night. I could get at least an hour and most times 2 hours time to work. Not every night mind you cuz ya gotta spend time with the wife too! Sometimes I worked until 1:00 AM. And, I get up at 5:00 AM to go to work. It took me 11 months to swap out the original drivetrain with a 350/350 and 12 bolt rear, rewire the whole car, install dual master cylinder, and convert the front brakes to disc for which there are no kits for. You can do it. You don't need 6 hours of garage time all at once. Its amazing what you can do in 1 hour. Good luck....and nice car/family ya got there!
    Paul

17. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Got out after it a little more today. My Father's Day weekend is time to work on the car and not too much kids duty. The boys did get out with me some and they are really starting to love the car too.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371356283.721748.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371356306.256202.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371356322.250347.jpg

Got a lot of cleaning done in the trunk and engine bay. I also got the oil changed the fan/generator belt swapped. Dropped the tank which seems to be in decent shape I also pulled the carb off so I can rebuild it.
    I did find one new rust spot in the trunk right above the leaf spring mount. Going to have to do a little patching here.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353266.877948.jpg
    Pulled the tank out.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353506.817083.jpg
    I am certain it would have been funny to watch me do that as I ended up on my back supporting the tank with my knees and hands as I shimmied it out.

The trunk floor above the tank looked pretty good to me.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353624.657492.jpg

I also got the sides of the trunk cleaned out. The back sides of the quarters look pretty good.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353691.182461.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353707.594998.jpg

I then moved on to the engine bay.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353753.588759.jpg
    I also changed the belt and cleaned the rust off the pulleys. I even changed the oil and fuel filter. Pulled the battery and it had leaked of course.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353798.305222.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353887.199161.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371353916.246965.jpg

I of course pulled the carb off and sprayed some cleaner down the barrels and then stuffed some clean shop rags in and build this little cover out of a milk jug. I am stupidly proud of it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371354118.011067.jpg

All in all a good day. Hoping to rebuild the carb tomorrow as well swap spark plugs and spray a little aerosol oil in there just in case. I am going to do the ignition system as well maybe not tomorrow. Thinking of ditching the points and going electronic to save hassle adjusting them (shhhhh don't tell the HAMB).

I ordered the shop manual off eBay the other day looking forward to that getting here. Hoping it will help me figure out how to get the back seat out. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

One more thing. I need to get the wheels and tires replaced anyone out there on the HAMB know where I can find some stock steelies or some 15x8 ford steelies and some dog dish hub caps to go with them. All I have is these terrible wheels and this sad little spare.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371355762.767277.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  18. LjH

LjH

Others have said it better than I can. Don't settle for what you don't want. You mentioned you are an engineer. DO YOUR RESEARCH. In the past I have settled on a vehicle and then read everything I could find about it before spending money buying it. The result is I have a lot of books and links concerning things I did not buy. That saved a lot of time and money.
    Once you are comfortable with the project start looking. You will find you know more that the people selling the cars and parts you are buying. You will become an expert on the car you want and be able to make modifications others haven't even thought about. Always remember the aftermarket exists to sell parts, and in a lot of cases they do not fit correctly!!!!:rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK

19. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Hey Fairlane guys. I need some advice, again. I have a chance to pick up the parts needed for the Granada swap for $200 from a local guy parting out a 1977 Granada, for my '63 2dr hardtop 500. Now I just started hearing about a bump steer issue with this swap. First of all is this really an issue? Secondly, I have found new kits for $525 that claim so solve this, are those a better option?

Thanks