Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

:) Good News. Dick is in Bako, ran the brick through tech and he will be racing this weekend.

2. Old28

Old28

That is good news:):):)

Papa Joe is a good old boy senior tech;)

Good look this weekend:D

3. bobw

bobw

Sure good to see a unique, safe car can pass tech. Is HAMBSter Lady in charge of photography? It would be great to see it in action.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If ya can't wait, here's the link to Dick's YouTube videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DrivingDuo
    Some fun videos from Rocky's Eagle Field meet in May. The D1, D2, D3 etc listings are Dick's runs, the T1, T2 etc were the runs he gave me. Damn fun car even if we do shift it a bit on the slow side. :D

5. storm king

storm king

A bit? There's at least a second and half tied up in those shifts! :)

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Some things just can't be rushed. Besides, that's only 3/4 of a second per shift:p

7. storm king

storm king

But there's two of 'em! :)

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Glad he didn't put a four speed in it.:D

9. storm king

storm king

Hahaha! Good 'un!

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, Kiddies,

Well, I'm better than I was, and the car's better as well, but ......
    ...... I'm still no bracket racer. :(
    Sunday I went out first round, to my own overly optimistic dial-in. :eek:

There were just three of us HAMBsters there, and Saturday I red lit against Jeana for HAMBie's first round, so running her down on the top end was just for fun. :rolleyes:

She then sat out her own green against Joe, didn't even make him earn it this time. :eek:

True to form, Joe did something to the clutch during the weekend.

We three all went out first round Sunday, with Joe & Jeana doing the crimson honors this time. ;)

Here's a picture Kay took of Jim Higby & me in the lanes (in the Bako sun).

[​IMG]

I re-mounted the video camera so I can reach it from the seat, and am learning to use it better.
    Here's a link to the videos I took this weekend, enjoy.

Please note that I've gotten the shifter (read clutch) adjusted better (read smoother), gentlemen. :p

I corrected the link, works properly now.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking good. All you need for Bako is Air-Conditioning!

12. bobw

bobw

Thanks for the report and the videos. They were fun to watch. I guess Bakersfield starts with "Bake" for a reason.

64 Dodge 440, thank you too for the video link the Eagle Field.

Dick, any traction problems? Or was the track well prepared and "sticky"?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Bako's always well prepped, no complaints there.

The 'Brick's top end traction's much improved since I decided to shave the middle of the hides a bit. Seems that since I changed the layout, and had to up the tire pressure, she was growing & riding the centers at speed. Needed some mass removed at the middles. I may shave'em a bit more, but not much, she hooked great at Bako. We'll see about Eagle in Oct.

The heat was impressive but bearable, likely helped the bite.
    I think it'd be hillarious if it was cold for August now. :D

14. Old28

Old28

I wish it could be, but the two words (cold & August) just don't fit togeather in Bako.

Thanks to all the racers and friends that attended the race and supported Butch and his ANRA Nostalgia Series.

15. Old6, great videos! I know it'll be hot out but is anyone going to test at the next Saturday Night nitro race in July? wiil be in Bakersfield for that event.

16. Old28

Old28

Ya 300, may try to stop by and say hello Sat night, should be back in town July 10-11, no car or testing.

17. Tom, if ya make it out stop by the WCHRA tent and ask for me.I'll be there doing tech etc for West Coast Hot Rod.Would be great to meet ya.

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'd like to make the "Nitro" thing, but float obligations prevent it. I have to plan float things for each year by the end of January, so as to have the "construction head" job covered each weekend.

I've had the August ANRA listed & covered since January though, so will be there "fer sher".

19. Old28

Old28

Well Dick, I will have the car at the ANRA Summer Nationals. Hope to have Danny V nephew Skylar in the seat for the first time.:D

Hope to make a better showing than my first time out.;)

See you their.

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sounds good (bring sunscreen :rolleyes:). :cool:

21. Old28

Old28

Well Dick, just got home and had a chance to look at the video's you shot at the June ANRA race with your great GoPro camera, you have it well in hand, pictures and sound are great. You will have to show me the in's/out's at the August race. Maybe a X-mas present.;):rolleyes:

I should have all the bugs out of this ride, I hope, for the August race.:eek:

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'm looking forward to Butch's August ANRA too. It'll be HOT of course, but it's great to have at least one full 1/4 strip to run. :cool:

I'm working on a rotating mount for the camera, so I can turn it far enough to either side to get whoever I'm racing into the picture as well. :D

I'm also pulling out more weight. I'm down to 2 to 5 lb items at a time, but slowly (ever so slowly) whittling'er down. Have about 25 lbs out so far, and am hoping to get'er back under 1400 lbs before Bako in August.

I'll put up some pictures after the 13th (busting my tail on a float for its MI inspection then).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well Kiddies,

I have it all in the back of the Dodge, ready to hit the bricks for Bako tomorrow. Likely won't get my favorite pit, as due to float obligations I won't get there 'til 1800 hrs or so.

Staying over Sunday night, again due to float stuff, this time on Monday in Lebec. At least it'll be nice to be able to stay & finish watching the eliminations this time. :cool:

Kay has the camera stuff all organized, so we should come back with lotsa pickshurs'n muvees. :eek:

The regular weather services're all calling for high 90s, but Underground's saying mid 90s. Not too sure I could tell the difference in a suit in the lanes. :rolleyes:

Oh well, quarter mile here I come. :D

24. Old6, good luck this weekend!

25. Old28

Old28

Congratulation's on making the Semi Finals in O/W class this weekend.:D

Car looked good on the Web Cast.

Hope you got a few car cam video's to post.;)

This year has been a total wash for me, people are starting to wonder if I will ever make a race again. Still hoping for Oct races.:rolleyes:

26. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

This is Kay, Dick's wife. We had a ball this weekend. Car ran well the entire time and Dick got in 6 runs. Finished 3rd out of 18, not too shabby. He has some car cam videos to download but had to drop me off and head on out to work one of the floats. He will play with the camera tonight.

You hand in there and we will see you at the next 2 events. Can't hardly wait for Eagle Field.

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Kiddies,

Had an absolute blast again. Sat/sweated out a few hold-ups in the lanes, but it wasn't quite as hot as June was so all I did was lose a few lbs I won't miss anyway. :rolleyes:

Managed to make it to third place, losing out to Danny (the "e.t. machine" :cool:) in the semi's. So, got the requisit 2 qual runs in on Saturday, and 4 Elim runs in on Sunday. Also got to stay 'til the "bitter end" and watch the racing, due to having a float equipment appointment in the area for Monday. :D

Papa Joe noticed a couple things I need to diddle up better by next ANRA meet, but let me run this one anyway. Nothing too serious, just need to relocate'em to better positions.

We wound up taking no still pictures, but the GoPro only missed one run. My fault, not the camera's. The turning mount I cobbled for the camera works nicely, it gets more of the other car into the scene. I just need to diddle the stops a tad more.

I have the other five runs edited down to about two minutes each, but it's still taking about an hour each to upload'em to YouTube. With the tiny amount of time I'm presently getting on the computer, that'll take me a couple more evenings to get'em all there.
    Would someone like to school me in the ways of doing this sort of thing a bit more efficiently? Puhleeeeease? :eek:

I'll post up links soon as I get'em done. ;)

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK Kiddies,

I think I have the ANRA III, '13 videos in the link here.

Got it! :cool:

Didn't have the camera on for the second round, when my competition broke out chasing me down.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  29. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!! In a word, fabulous. I would say that you really have this camera thing figured out. Your car moves off the line very smoothly. You seem to be extremely consistent in your driving style.

30. Old28

Old28

old6, those are great videos of your runs, car sounded strong and you were on your game for sure. The pictures from the car were way better than the Web Cast shot both days. Danny V is hard to get buy if he is on his game. Great weekend, looks like you are ready for Eagle Field & ANRA Finals in Oct.

RacerRoy3, That smoothness & consistency by old6 comes from years on those New Years Day Floats out West in Pasadena. I'll tell you, he may not have the fastest HA/GR but he is the most consistent and goes a lot of rounds running 10 sec dragsters & altered in that Open/Wheel class that we have to run eliminations in.