Register now to get rid of these ads!

how can i safely mount fuel tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by north coast greaser, Jun 8, 2013.

1. i am in need of gas tank straps for a '48 studebaker, nobody repops these so my question is, what is the safest way to remount the factory fuel tank? (i purchased car recently without the tank installed)

is there a way i can make straps or is there a company that makes universal mounting straps?

-NCG

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

3. grf-x

grf-x

Wait a minute... he is a member here. Why should he go to google?!? Yes google may have (and did based in you linK), but this is what this forum is supposed to be for.

North Coast Greaser,

Listen kat... you can make your straps or modify the universals. I actually made mine from scratch based on the originals. Just copy those.

I made mine our of slightly thicker metal, cuz that is what I could get my hands on. After I tested the fitment with the tank (pain in the ass by yourself) I then coated them is a rubber paint that came in an aerosol can.

You can bend your own using a brake or a vise. I didnt have a brake then... so i used a vise. Place your original in one side of the vise and your new metal on the other side. This way you can bend it the same angle using the original as a template. You can use a hammer to help bend, but go slow or use a piece of scrap wood between the metal and hammer blows.

Drills your holes and test your work.

Dont use aluminum. You need steel. Get the same thickness of your originals or slightly thicker. I used steel you can buy at one of the big box home hardware stores. My straps had the same width as some of the stock they carried.

Good luck.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always bent my own up out of thin flatbar that fit the particular tank. It bends easy, and I just paint it once it's all fitted. I also use the sticky dense foam tape on the straps to avoid squeaks between straps and tank.

5. thanks guys for the insights .... using the dense foam is a good idea i never thought of.

6. I recently used 1/8" coated cable and some cable clamps in an old chevy. It doesn't look stock but it works like a Champ (no pun intended).