Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 behind a Hudson 308, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, May 28, 2013.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'd like to talk to someone that has done this swap. I have a 308 with a 3 speed manual and am having issues with the trans. It is needing rebuilt and I have a 700r4 laying around so I started thinking about putting it in the car. I found the adaptor plate and I can make a crossmember, I am curious about how the TV cable will work. I really enjoy driving the car and think the overdrive couple with another rearend will afford me better cruising. So anyone done it? Hurdles you had to jump? How did you handle the TV cable. Thanks guys.

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Check out Bendstens or Wilcap for an adapter. They do alot for the 700r4 units.

3. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

Thanks guys, the adaptor isn't my concern. I'm more worried/wondering about the linkage needed for the TV cable.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

why not use a Dual-Range Hydromatic?

7. Probably would have to have that rebuilt too to the tune of high dollars.

I am sure no one makes a kit to hook up the TV cable on the Hudson throttle linkage - you'll have to fabricate something. The cable and carb are on the same side, so it's just a matter of tying it down and connecting it to the carb someplace. Hudsons use a Carter carb so other linkage plates are out there, you may have to buy a whole carb to get one, but used carbs have little value.

8. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Well, since he's already got the 700r4 and the adapter plate ...

9. cobra2

cobra2
    from dallas

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I'm all for that, and after the cost of the rebuild, you will be about even with what you pay for the adapter. Your choice!

11. Of course first he has to find one, and then have it shipped to him, and then have it rebuilt, and presume he can find a comptent rebuilder for one....

12. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

another solution is the TV cable elimination using the valve body from TCI. I bought one to try but havent installed it yet so I cant comment on the success of the operation.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

contact arnie on HAMB

he has lots of experience with this exercise

and leftover parts

14. raidmagic

raidmagic

Because I don't have one and not interested in finding one. I have a 700r4 in the garage.

Well I'm glad you are in for that. Go ahead and find a good one and send it to me and I'll be happy to use it.

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

No thanks, you have your mind already set in the fine 700r4. BTW: I happen to have 15 or so hydramatics either in cars or in storage, so there.

16. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

there are a couple of compatant rebuilders for those hydromatics that advertise in the white triangle news. i don't think they are too hard to find. i am planning to use one in my essex behind a 308. nothing wrong with using the latter model tranny you have. adapting stuff like that sometimes is a big hassle, sometimes it's cool to make something like that work. you will never know till you try which one it will be. :D

17. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i saw Randy Maas sells a adapter on his website 21centuryhudson too.