Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Arrived! 1941 Plymouth Biz Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WWinIL, May 1, 2013.

1. WWinIL

WWinIL

Yes, Appleton #112. I hope to get it working again. Needs several parts (Lens,lens retainer,socket,bulb,complete re-wire). Some dings,scratches, but the handle and switch (bakelite?) are complete and in good shape.

Thanks to everyone else for the positive comments !

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Nice car!
    Question, what identified a business coupe? I have a 3 window desoto and I thought that was the business coupe because of the huge trunk for storing products.

[​IMG]

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

41 coupe's are cool and yours is a great one to start with...

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Business coupes do not have back seats. Opera coupes have side fold down seats behind the main seat or don't but could have. Club coupes have a rear bench seat.:cool::D

5. Cool looking Plymouth...did you buy it from Frank on American Pickers :D? He has or had one exactly like yours. It was a pretty good episode, I think he found it in a basement garage in or near WV. Later found out he paid too much for it :eek:.
    Keep posting with photo's of the progress.

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. WWinIL

WWinIL

No, I did not. I believe the coupe on AP was a '40. Cleaning wheels and prepping them for paint. Should have tires mounted/balanced later this week. Ordered front coils and all 4 shocks today. I'm going to get the front end lowered all 4 shocks installed, then measure what size lowering blocks I'll need for rear. Def will post pics as progress happens.

Walt

9. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Just a freaking great looking car...friend in my car club just picked up a '40 Ply. coupe in about the same condition. Great to see they're still out there. Keep us posted.

10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

11. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Love these!!!! Man...you sure got a solid one! These ooze DECO goodness!!!

12. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

For you Mopar folks there is a '39 Dodge 5 window coupe on Craigs list -Birmingham Al. Very nice looking but can't tell from pix if it is business or club.It does have trim around the windshield.

13. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That $685.00 is around $11,000.00 in todays money. What new car today sells for 11 Grand today?? None, Zero, Zip, Nada. Now days, you'll pay 11 Grand for a 10 year old car.

15. WWinIL

WWinIL

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here's an updated pic. wheels and tires mounted (working on dents/dings in trim rings). re-positioned the visor ( I thought it was too low ). removed silver paint PO had sprayed on bumpers and installed front bumper wings. removed amber markers lights on front (need to fill/weld holes). I have new coils,shocks and a complete exhaust system (waiting on chrome pencil tip). Been busy working on blue beast in background.

16. That's so cool. :cool:

My Daddy and Momma brought me home from the hospital in '46 in one just like that. Daddy had bought it new, it was light green. Had it painted black sometime in there. He installed a back seat so I could sleep on trips. As this was in Florida, it came with heater deleted.
    Drove it until 1952.

Thanks for the trip back in time.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  17. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Look great with the black wheels and the WWW's!! Drop it and drive it! I had a 48 Business coupe years ago. Love the body lines on these but the pre-war Plymouths have a much better grille on them IMO. I would love to find one as solid as yours! I had a '41 tudor sedan for a while as well. I actually bought it on December the 7th. ! I always thought that was cool!

18. WWinIL

WWinIL

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

updated pic: new shocks on all corners, 3" blocks from butch's on rear. I will be using the aerostar CC850 coils on the front. They installed fine, but raised car another .5 inch. This pic shows stock coils with 1.25 coil removed. I like the stance. I will cut down the aerostar coils a bit at a time to get the final look. My sway bar is missing and I'm working on a parts car to remedy that.

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Damn...that looks good!! It's amazing the difference a small drop can make in these. Looking good!!!

21. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

The drop looks good. If you get a chance, check out slmlrd's and farmer12's plymouths. These 2 cars are absolutely awesome. Keep it up!

22. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Good find. I picked up my 40 Desoto coupe in about the same condition. If you plan on going forth with a Fatman front end, take a look at some build threats out there with very very good details. Im just finishing mine up and willing to share pics and info if needed.
    Good luck

23. WWinIL

WWinIL

Thanks! I did not know of slmlrd's '40, very nice... I am quite familiar with farmer12 (eric) and thinkfink (jochens) cars, they are what got me on the hunt to find one of these. I spent almost 2 yrs looking before pulling the trigger on this one.

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Some things you may want to be on the lookout for. In 56 the factory made a 2bbl manifold for this 6 cylinder. It used a carter carb similar to what was on the 318 through its life. member Olddaddy makes a very servicable conversion for frot disc brakes that will work with the stock MC, he also can spit the stock exhaust manifold. Member Moose makes custom intakes and exhausts. The best way to get a little more snap from you engine is to mill the head, stock CR is 6.70 to one, .060 off works pretty good. You can go more but not knowing if the head has ever been milled makes that number work. Look like a ice solid car. They use Lockheed brakes with dual wheel cylinders, adjusting them is different from bendix. Rears are on a tapered axle which needs a heavy duty puller to get the hub/drum off. There is a how to on brakes o the P15 D24 site. You might want to read up on before you mess with them. Good shop manuals are available on line, they are a good investment.

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You can get a new Nissan Versa for just under 11K, but you wouldn;t want to.................

26. JerryLee

JerryLee

Got my attention!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. I miss my 1941 ASC Coupe......ASC?.Auxillary Seat Coupe, pair of folding rear seats.......mine was a factory RHD car built in Sth Africa......sold it 2mths ago..........boohoo.......will hopefully get another one day, still the 40 Dodge is still here.........andyd

Attached Files:

28. coupe man

coupe man

Nice start,looks real solid.Welcome to 41 ply land.

29. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Nice old cars built in the 40s ,never seem to grow old.:cool::D

30. James Curl

James Curl

You will find that if you mount the upper end of the shock to a bracket from the frame instead of the upper A arm the ride will improve and the car will not roll as much in the corners. Several people make a kit to do just that, Fatman and Butch plus Old Daddy (Rusty Hope) here on the forum. Old Daddy also makes a bracket to mount disc brakes to the front spindles and furnishes a list of parts you will need to finish the job with part numbers for each part and year of car it is from.