Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 frame newly arrived, is this correct??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Having read through all five pages what I am seeing is that Wex65 did not get what he ordered. So why should he be expected to rework / modify it to get closer to what he ordered? He paid by credit card - open a dispute with the credit card company if the vendor does not want to honor his commitment to supply what was ordered. Then the OP can order what he wants from another supplier and use the experience/knowledge gained here. This is why you should always pay with a credit card....

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

It appears we have a failure to communicate as we used to say in business. I think Weasel is correct. If the vendor did not supply what you ordered (and you made it clear what you wanted) then a new frame is what I would want not a reworked one. I purchased a Deuce chassis without the pinched front and when it arrived it had a pinched front. The vendor made the mistake as I pointed out in my order sheet and they sent me a new one. Stand your ground.

3. wex65

wex65
    from WV

OK, an update.

A little bit of radio silence but I now have an email from the company this morning offering to take the frame back and waiving their 20% restocking fee.

He says his shop is of the opinion that I am looking for something that doesn't exist and that the only way a '30 body will go onto a '32 frame is the way they built it, with the narrowing at the rear. I replied explaining that a sub rail kit will do the trick without needing to cut the frame in the way they did. Regardless, they are taking the frame back. I will be out of pocket for some fairly hefty shipping costs (and return shipping costs!) but will now search for a frame suited to my project.

This has been a learning experience that I hope helps others.

Oh, and for those commenting the the frame isn't too bad and can be modified, as one or two have already pointed out, I shouldn't really NEED to modify it...

I will chalk this one up as a lesson and move on. Thanks for all the input, it WAS helpful.

4. Call Gary Maxwell at blackboard hotrods, he builds a real nice 32 frame for the Model A and it's a great price.
    http://www.blackboardhotrods.com/

5. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks, already left him a voicemail.

6. You are absolutely right Wex, you shouldn't have to modify something that's not exactly what you wanted. Seeing as though you got stuck with shipping fees that puts you behind before you get started. I've been there and it's no fun . The purpose of my posts was to show you that you don't have to "assume that position" and You are not fucked. Also I read some remarks that just aren't true. That isn't a pro-street treatment, it's a 2" step. It won't set ride height any higher than any other highboy, and its actually going to save you a bunch of work that involves cutting and welding on your car, structural body attaching welding. Personally I see that as a plus, a big plus that saves grief, time, and money. I was hoping to get you to see that and I don't think I was alone on that here.

This cat is hotroding and there's more than one way to skin it. As with anything in life, sometimes a you'll find the coolest stuff when you take a wrong turn.

7. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Following on from a suggestion I just received via PM I will be listing the frame in the classifieds in the next hour or so. If someone wants it as-is for what it cost me then great, otherwise it is headed back to the vendor.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Hmmm.

Here's one:

[​IMG]

Here's one:

[​IMG]

Here's one:

[​IMG]

Here's one:

[​IMG]

Not only do you not need to do that stupid step. You don't even have to pinch the rails. You can gently spread the cowl out and fill the firewall a little. Please tell those morons to stop spreading lies.

9. You have a PM.

10. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Dreddybear, from what he is saying you found some super rare cars there!!:rolleyes:

11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Wex65, I really wish you all the best to sell what you have and get what you really want.

You never would have been happy with the building platform you have. I do understand what 31Vicky is saying, it is possible to achieve what you want but just not down the path you expected. You made the correct decision in my mind.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Haha what are the chances.

These frames all came from different builders. You're going the right route with the subrails. It looks way better. Good luck.

13. Honorable of the company that built it.

14. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I don't completely disagree although having to foot the bill for almost $600 of shipping for their mistake makes me pause before agreeing. In other word, it could be better but it could be worse.

It is now listed in the classifieds...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8964309#post8964309

15. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Just the fact that there are no mounting holes should make the builder take it back AND pay shipping both ways

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't care who the builder is but how is he to know were the body holes go if the buyer doesn't supply the location? :confused: Bob

17. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Uh it is much easier to spot new holes in the floor than add nuts inside a boxed frame.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have a lot more info passed to the frame guy before the fab worked started, not picking the OP just general advice to others. Bob

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

Although not a real winner here, glad it is resolved.
    If you don't want to post it please feel free to PM me the builder so I can have that information if I choose to buy a frame.

20. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Kid, not being defensive here, I possibly agree with you BUT...

this is my first ride and if the builder required more info he surely should have asked? I admittedly did ask for body mount holes but he agreed to provide them. Seems he should have instead indicated it was not possible...? Besides, my fundamental issues was with the rear which simply didn't match the photo I supplied. I don't think that was a lack of information.

...at the end of the day it seems I am going to come out of this a little the wiser. I am learning one thing as I travel this road for the first time, it is for me at least, difficult to avoid the pot holes.

Lots of comments here are from people with MUCH more experience than I and I am happy to be able to see their input. I have to accept that there is a price to pay for an education and I am paying it.

I will revert to my build thread for updates but again, thanks to everyone for your input.

21. wex65

wex65
    from WV

So, I thought it fair to HAMBers to try to wrap this thread up and not leave the obvious unanswered question as I have received PMs asking me who built the frame.

The frame in question was 'bought' from SRPM but not built by them, the plot thickens. Looking back on it, they seem to specialize in street rods so the selection of them was completely my fault. The communications issue I personally put down to a combination of them and me, but more them :)D) as I did send photos etc. **BUT**, something that really didn't help only became clear as I strapped the frame back to the pallet to get it ready to ship it back to them. The shipping label is still on it and DOESN'T say SRPM... it was shipped to me from JW Rod Garage!! Now I understand why the things I asked for didn't materialize...when SRPM said they were speaking to 'their' shop they meant they were calling JW. Which brings into disrepute their claim that their shop said this is the only way to mount a 30 on a 32 frame as I HIGHLY doubt JW would have said that.

So, the communications issue was that I was sending SRPM photos and text and they were simply calling JW and asking for something less/different.

To be fair, I am not in any way saying SRPM are 'bad'. They simply had communications issues. The frame is VERY good, just not what I wanted. The quality of the welds etc is superb, nice to see an example of JW work. The one positive I will say for SRPM, they are taking the frame back. Some might not do so, so I am happy that is the case and it shows they are a stand up business.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Things are looking pretty good today. My new frame is soon to be under construction, with Dropped Axle Productions.

I will say this for anyone new to this, Dropped Axle's communications is SOLID. Lots of questions from, and discussion with, the guy that will be building it, Drew. Questions on everything from the front crossmember, steering box selection, rear crossmember, how to attach the axle to the frame, body mount holes for a 30 on the 32 frame (which they are accommodating with a plate beneath the top of the rail which can be tapped) front wish bone length as well as a few things I like cannot remember.

I will hold off on calling them Gods till I see the frame but after checking out some of their other builds my confidence is high. I will report back in a month when I see the frame in Ohio.

I will be going to Good Guys with with my '55 Buick or '30 roadster and bringing them frame back to SRPM who are also in OH. Coincidentally so are Dropped Axle Productions so I will get to pick up my new frame then.

This frame WILL have a kick up in the rear, AND my early Bronco axle which is being shipped to them later this week will be attached to the frame with '36 rear wish bones.

Thanks for everyone's input throughout this thread. Nice to see when a community helps out. I put the fact I am in a happier place and in touch with Dropped Axle squarely on being a HAMBer.

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nicely written wrap up without "throwing anyone under the bus". Best of luck with the new platform for your project.

23. Thanks for the "wrap up". No real winners here but all in all a good outcome I think. Hope your build goes well.

24. X2
    Diplomacy at its finest.
    Good luck and thanks

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

Yes, x3
    Excellent ending.

26. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Many thanks guys, no need for me to be pissy, life is too short. Karma and all that...ooohhhhhmmmm!! :)

sheesh just spotted an email from Drew at Dropped Axle asking for my height and inseam measurement?!?!?! :eek:

Seems they will locate the pedals according to their clients height to provide for a comfortable drive, well, as comfortable as 6'2" can be I guess..

27. Drew will do you right. Glad you found a solution. But whoever SRPM is, they need to learn a few things since I can call JW (and did) and spec a frame w/o the stupid inboard step of the rails.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Very well handled, but what is still sticking with me is the audacity of saying there is no other way of doing what we as hot rodders have already been doing for the last 75 years or so.

As for asking lots of questions, it reminds me of a conversation I had with a perspective client that wanted me to build a chassis for his '29 roadster pickup. We got past the obvious what engine trans, full fendered or not, stock wheels base, etc. I asked him what wheels and tires he intended to run so I could figure out what rear axle width to use and he stopped me cold and said "What the hell is this, twenty questions?! Just build me a chassis! Screw it, I can order one from XXXX, without the hassle..." ...And about a year later he called to see if I could figure out how to put fenders on it... Nope!

29. There are so many variables that most folks never think about. I like the quote "how long is a rope?"

30. It was built to accept stock Model A subrails and mounting holes. If the frame builder doesnt know where stock Model A mount holes should be,,, he needs to quit building frames.:cool: