Register now to get rid of these ads!

My New Zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, May 26, 2013.

1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Let's see if you like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That should show some of the proportions, I hope...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. 55willys

55willys

Thanks Chrisbcritter. Great job on the photoshop. That is the car I am leaving stock. The solid color one gets the slicer dicer. The tail looks a little long imo. I need to get some pics since I have cleaned it up. Again thanks:D Jim (55willys)

3. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I always thought these cars looked too flat when chopped, they're not big cars when compared to their contemporary American cousins and a lot got chopped because "that's what they do in America", they end up looking squashed. in my opinion the only good ones had a very subtle chop.....now, two door conversions can look rad but a gotta be careful you don't end up with a tiny quarter window.subtle chop , probably only an inch or so, with a coupe conversion can look great....almost factory.

Mine will be staying full height.....it's going to be interesting to see what you do with your second one 55willys

4. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

couldnt resist....if i was going to two door one i'd go this route, a little more subtle. very slight chop, very slight section....looks almost factory.

Attached Files:

5. zep058

zep058

Ive got a real soft spot for Zephyrs, I bought mine when I was 21 and drove it daily for close to 5 years. Three on a tree, manual brakes really taught me how to take care while driving in modern traffic. They are a stout motor for a straight six, although parts are trickier to find.

Heres mine, which I had grand plans to chop and modify but I think I was too young to follow it through and glad I didnt as it would never had been finished back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a few others I have collected over the years, this for your inspiration, hope mods can look past the ugly wheels on some of them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zep058

zep058

completely agree.

The purple one with the centrelines is probably one of the better ones I have seen due to the mild chop. I wonder if it ever got finished?

And 55willys Galeforce is a great site, Karl has some great ideas for mods etc

All the best

7. zep058

zep058

last lot.

This consul with the plane in the background is a favorite

[​IMG]

This was owned by a guy called Ken Spence and used to race this with a dual quad, toploader equipped genuine Cobra small block Ford..very exotic back then

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Beautiful photochop, I like it.

Not to hijack your thread but here's a couple pics of my '57 Mk 11 Consul convertible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I'd kill for one of those, one of my all time favorites Nads....is it complete?

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Every part as far as I can tell, I've owned it forever but now I'm finally gonna start on it, there is not one iota of rust on this car, it is pristine.

11. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

you're a lucky man Nads.

12. restoreid

restoreid

Ken Spence Alias The Quangie Kid back in the mid 60s Sat in that car in the main street of Surfers Paradice for speedweek He drove it up from Victoria to Queensland a round trip of about 2000ks Dragraced it for 2days then drove back Looked stock but under the hood a brand new 289 cobra v8 2x4 barrels & 4speed box Later fitted 4 webber downdrafts Uste to put a couple of bags of weet in the boot & go into town & pull the wheels up on takeoff Also used it on the farm towing the feed trailer Deff a dual purpose vehicle haha

13. 55willys

55willys

Wow guys, didn't think this car would be so popular. Thanks for all the cool pics:D Jim (55willys)

14. leftyone

leftyone
    from brisbane

hi very interesting to see that there are more english ford zephyrs and zodiacs still surviving in north america
    a small question for CanUfelix that zodiac sedan you have there that car wouldnt just happen to have once beeen owned by a guy called mike he had a car museum in california a few years back he sadly passed away and he had one the same colour as the one you have is it the same car ??

im also looking for a left hand drive over drive gearbox for a for zephyr mk2 can anyone help

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I don't know mate, I bought it sight unseen from long beach. The woman said it had been in the family for a while and ad been passed around until she got it. She was moving and needed to get rid of it. I was going away on business so just sent a trailer to go and pick it up. Never met her but I do have her contact info still. Do you have a second name for him? I always wanted one as a kid in the UK and so couldn't pass this one up in CA. Was pleasantly surprised when. Got to see it in person. No major rust at all. Badly dinged driver door and a couple of dents on the roof......

16. reefer

reefer

Small block Ford motors are the easy swap in.....my brother had a MK 2 with a 289 in it, he later changed the motor to a small block Chevy but had to find a sump pan with the correct shape to clear the crossmember......it was a very fast car..it's still going strong evidently .My first car was a Mk2 Consul version...it felt huge, bench seat,column shift.....it was a bit of an athsmatic old knacker but I loved it.

Nads, that soft top should make a really nice car....they are super rare in that condition.

http://www.newfordpartsonline.co.uk/

Try here for Zeph and Zody spares.....you might want to join the owners club, They get spare body panels occasionally and are a good source of info.

http://www.fordczzmkll.webs.com/. ...
    http://fordczzmkll.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=173906834. Here you go Nads, a bit of inspiration .for you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  17. kiwicaddy

kiwicaddy

Just saw this thread by chance , I used to have Zephyrs in the old days, Mk 1, 2 and 3. Mk 2 definitely the coolest and yes you can get the 6 to really move with few simple mods. We used to bore them to fit JO Bedford pistols or 6cylinder Aussie Valiant ones, a good cam grind, 60 thou off the head and triples, either Stromberg or SU sidedrafts. If you were rich you had webers.
    There is a Kiwi living in Aussie at the moment who casting some Raymond Mays gear, mainly dressup I think. You guys might want to track him down on facebook under the name Malcolm Murray.
    I'll be following this with interest. Cheers, John

18. reefer

reefer

19. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

20. 55willys

55willys

Thanks again for all the helpful info. Jim (55willys)

21. What an awsome friend!! Why can't I get gifts like that!

22. 55willys

55willys

I have given a lot of free labor without any expectation of payment.:D

23. 55willys

55willys

I found the clutch master cylinder, hose, and slave rebuild kit for about $100 so I should be up and running soon. Jim (55willys)

24. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Where did you get them Jim?

25. 55willys

55willys

Wilwood makes a clutch master that is 3/4 bore and uses the same bolt pattern as Girling. In fact it looks like a copy of a Girling. Jim (55willys)

26. rld14

rld14

That's Mike Frankovich. His Zephyr was, if I recall, pretty much pristine. I'm not sure what happened to it. I heard his PA Cresta Friary ended up in NZ.

27. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I pulled the number out for the woman I bought it off. I'll try and call her this week for a little more history. It's a black plate Cali car and is pretty much rust free and straight.most of the trim is mint too. The interior is shredded and the rear trim needs replanting. How long ago was it pristine?

28. I had a convertible one of those back in the '70's.
    Welded a 4 door roof on it so I had a pillarless tudor.
    It's still around somewhere I believe. :)

29. Custom Rodder #37, Oct./ Nov. '76; Owner/ builder Peter Young of Shepparton Vic;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They'd be hard to find, but gee, those Corsair tailights are a BIG improvement aesthetically.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  30. rld14

rld14

Oh this isn't Mike F's car. His came from Canada IIRC and was in showroom condition. And he died... 3-4 years ago I think?