Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gizzle Hopper @ Bowling Green (Fathers day)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Jun 6, 2013.

1. FATHERS DAY WEEKEND HAS SPECIAL MEANING FOR RACING FAMILIES

Hey, we're famous,,,well, almost.

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Father’s Day weekend is a time when families gather together, spend time enjoying each other’s company and celebrate their family history. For racing families the time together is often spent at a track, and there will be plenty of families getting together at the 11th annual Holley National Hot Rod Reunion presented by AAA Insurance, June 13-15 at Beech Bend Raceway Park.

Brian Perrenot will be a proud father as his daughter Gretchen Shelby climbs behind the wheel of the recreated AA/Fuel Gizzle Hopper that has tied their family together for three generations. The Gizzle Hopper will take part in Crower Cam Cacklefest which is a unique way to entertain the crowds as they parade down the track in a salute to yesterday.

The Perrenot family got involved in the sport in the middle 50’s when Fred, patriarch of the family, Peggy his wife, with one son Travis as mechanic and Brian as the driver, began racing the original Gizzle Hopper at tracks across Texas and Oklahoma in the AA/F Competition Coupe & Sedan categories.

“My dad wouldn’t have stayed in drag racing had us two boys not been involved,” Perrenot said. “He got in drag racing because he liked it, but he stayed in it because of the two boys. It was a family thing because my sister and my mother also went to the drag races.”

This highly competitive car, with Brian behind the wheel, won numerous races including the AHRA World Championships at Green Valley in Oklahoma in 1961. The car was nearly destined to fade into the annals of time when it was totaled in a wreck in 1962.

Travis and Brian had an idea about recreating the car in 1998 and set about beginning the process. Travis passed in 2001, but Brian continued the painstaking process of recreating the car from the wheels up. At the Hot Rod Reunion event in Beech Bend in 2008 the car made its prideful debut during the Cacklefest parade with the Perrenot name proudly on the car.

“My brother died and my wife and I decided to go ahead and do it and we created it and now my daughter drives it,” Perrenot continued. “Drag racing started out as a very family orientated thing. I don’t know of any other racing event where the family is the pit crew. I don’t think drag racing would have become what it is today without that aspect of it. It means everything in the world to me.”

Shelby carries on the family tradition and has been behind the wheel of the famed car since 2008. She is proud to carry on the family tradition and enjoys the thrill of driving the car.

“50 percent of the reason I’m involved is because of the family ties,” Shelby said. “The other 50 percent is the adrenaline line rush of being such a cool old car. Getting to be able to spend that kind of time with your dad and your family is pretty precious. I probably spent more time with my mom and dad because of drag racing in the last five years than I would have otherwise.”

Shelby also feels a bond to her grandfather each time she gets behind the wheel.

“My grandfather who originally built the Gizzle Hopper passed away when I was very young so I don’t have a whole lot of memories of him,” she continued. “This is a nice way of connecting with him. I was also born on his birthday, Oct. 17, which was a special thing; I was his birthday girl, so I always felt like there was that connection with him even though I didn’t get to know him.”

The Holley National Hot Rod Reunion kicks off Thursday, June 13, with Show ’N Shine participants filling the historic facility along with nostalgia racing action taking to the track on Thursday as well with Hot Heads Eliminator qualifying and exhibition runs. The day concludes at the Holiday Inn University Plaza Hotel and Sloan Convention Center parking lot for the Cruise In and Kick-Off party.

Friday features legends of drag racing with Grand Marshal Preston Davis and all of the 2013 honorees at the Dynamat Legends tent for meet and greets. The weekend concludes on Saturday with a full day of action including the Hot Heads Nostalgia Drag Racing final eliminations, awards, honoree presentation and the Axalta Coatings and Show N Shine parade of champions. The Grand Finale will see the 2013 Reunion of Champions crowned, jet car exhibition runs and an NHRA-exclusive Crower Cam Cacklefest featuring a variety of nitro-fueled vintage machines.

• SCHEDULE: The event begins at 8 a.m. each day with racing beginning at 10 a.m. on Thursday, June 13; Racing kicks off at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, June 14; and 9 a.m. on Saturday June 15.

• TICKETS: Single day tickets are only $25, $75 at the gate for a three-day ticket, and children 15 and under are free accompanied by paid adult.

• ON THE WEB: For more information about the Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion, please visitwww.nhramuseum.com.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool article......congrats

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thats cool,what was that posted in. again congrats

4. coupemerc

coupemerc

One of my very favorite cars on the HAMB. Very interesting story and congratulations on the great press. FWIW 10/17 is my birthday too.

5. captmullette

captmullette

see u there, ill come by and say hey.... look for the old hudsons......

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian, you're our MEL aficionado extraordinaire. And a hell of a son/brother/husband/dad.

If it wasn't for you, much fewer of us would even know what the heck a MEL is.

Have fun at the CackleFest!!!

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

8. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Hey captmullette. Would you know what day those ole Hudsons are going to run? I will not make it up this year but like to watch them run. Bangshift.com has the drags on live video. I caught you last year at bangshift and really enjoyed it. Maybe this year you will take that Camaro. You guys have a good time and enjoy. Hud

9. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

Great article and well deserved, Brian. See ya there on Wednesday.

Dave Pace

10. Wowcars

Wowcars

The Gizzle Hopper is a big reason I've got a 6x2 fed MEL going into my Ranch Wagon.
    Thanks Brian for the great car and letting us know its history!

11. Nice write up Brian...Congrats....

12. ardyboy

ardyboy

Best cackle car in the show last year. This dogs bark is as mean as its bite. Flames were awesome.

13. captmullette

captmullette

thank you sir, gonna miss you this year, don't know yet when they are running but they'll be in the hotrod class...