Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. This option spelled FEAR: Thunderbird 406 High Performance V-8 with 3x2 bbl's and 405 hp
    (1962-63)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Thanks for the article on Bob Burch. Very interesting and I do recall him and his car. Thanks for confirming the Cal Pon connection as well.

3. pontiac421

pontiac421
    BANNED

This is a nice article but a bit inaccurate....Pontiac NEVER built a single SD car in 1961, including this one. Pontiac racers had to buy all the SD parts over the counter and assemble the engine themselves. The Harrop car is considered a "real" SD because he actually built and raced it back in 1961, just like Arnie Beswick, Royal Pontiac, Harold Ramsey and others,,,,,but none of these "original" SD cars were built at the factory ...NONE@!!!!

4. Correct! All 1959-61 SD cars were owner built with over the counter equipment developed by PMD. Exceptions are aftermarket items like the E-2 Isky camshaft with an attached Pontiac parts number in order to make it legal for racing. ;)

5. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Chuck, I dug out my 1962 Nationals Official Program which includes the 1962 National Championship Drag Races entry list. Car Number 831 is a 1962 Pontiac entered by Korody-Stahl. The driver is listed as Dennis Korody from Lincoln Park, Michigan.

Using my 1962 NHRA rulebook and my old red NHRA classguide binder, in order to fit D/SA the 62 Grand Prix was powered by a 389/303 with 1-4bl carb.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. oddcraig

oddcraig

mine also..... Maybe I am biased though

7. Good show Kentuckian! Now, can you tell us anything more about Dennis
    Korody, and his GP? Any other history?

8. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Really? That would be a shame. But there were pics in this thread of a surviving rose.

Have not seen any posts by the owner for quite some time I belive he was banned by the powers that be here, for supporting someone else's freedom of speech. that's the last post I remember seeing from him anyhow (it was deleted of course) He does however occasionally post on Junior stock memories on FaceBoo========k. I have not been thru this thread (for a while) to see they may have deleted all his posts

9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Thanks, Travis. I hoped that someone had an entry list and, once again, you've come through!

c

10. biscaynes

biscaynes

owner was 'banned' from here, last heard he was collecting parts. didn't sound like he had the means to restore it though. hopefully it does get restored one day.

11. pontiac421

pontiac421
    BANNED

Oh yes....Old Bridge..It was a 1/2 mile OVAL track and they had to hold your car on the starting line (before line locks) and you had to brake hard not to hit the retaining wall after running a 1/16...YES 1/16.... world's shortest drag strip!!

12. Baer Field Raceway in Ft. Wayne, Ind. is now hosting drag racing on the front stretch of their 1/2 mile oval. Even shorter still... 300 feet! Starts this Sunday, June 9, and runs every other weekend.

http://fwrace.com/StockCars/drag-racing-this-monday-at-baer-field-speedway/

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

ClayMart,you gonna be our HAMB reporter on the events? I'm going to drive by the track and check it on Monday. Ive been going to Ft. Wayne every Monday for four years and never even heard about Baer Field. Tom.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I used to watch Johnny Bartlett race every other weekend at McMinnville Dragstrip in the 60's, I always liked his quote, when asked "what do you have against Chevys"? His reply was, "nothing, I just don't like junk"!

15. It has often been said that the Atlas Bucron was best remembered by many in the early Junior Stock days, and further into the late fifties. Cost was mentioned for reason to purchase them. Another was their general availibilty in most regions.

When you think about it, specialized tire distribution like the Inglewood, Bruce, and Casler, were produced in sunnyside California. Only other drag tire made elsewhere that I recall in those days was the new for mid sixties S/S Eliminator in Thompsonville, CT.

M&H was available everywhere, but comparatively expensive. So, for the bucks down racer on a shoe-string budget that leaves an alternative. What and where are key operatives here.

I heard that J.C. Penny used to market so-called Foremost A F/X Cheater slicks towards the mid-to-late sixties...anyone remember them? What about the Northeastern seaboard and in Canada? Where did you go for traction?

I will start this topic off with the Bruce White Dot Slick. In the posted ad you can read that they were sold through Vic Hubbard outlets and most likely other chain stores around the country.

In Toronto, I recall guys talking about going to Karbelt and doing alot of business in the early seventies...on the other hand, I picked up tires fo free as long as the sabre-toothed junk yard meanie wasn't lurking about...but, they were used deals, and not worthy of high-powered blast-offs on a high traction strip. Sometimes, I got lucky and found a pair that was in relatively good shape...LOL!

Attached Files:

16. Here is another curiousity called the Ook Pik. Apparently Larry Dunn ran this 50 Olds Dynamic 88 in T-S. I only have the first page of an undated article and would like to read the rest if someone has it available. Does anyone remember Larry Dunn and his Olds?

Attached Files:

17. I lifted this one from the You Tube video entitled Junior Stock Drag Racing 64-71.

What's the scoop on this baby?

Attached Files:

18. Speaking of the Tokyo Rose...another gift from the Junior Stock Drag Racing 64-71 video on You Tube.

Attached Files:

19. Talking Chevies can be such an Aggravation II, so...

Attached Files:

20. In order to mix things up check out Charlie Shifflett's 1961 B-S Ford Starliner named ''Wild Fire.'' Who knows anything more about this car?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  21. I never knew that I had this one...Dyno Don's 61 Chev 409. Anyone know where this was taken?

Attached Files:

22. Dempsey Wilson Racing Cams ad circa 1961-62. Any truth to this? Anyone know about the dealer or the car?

Attached Files:

23. First there was Shoe-Box Chevy's and then there were shoe polish Fords...

1) 61 Phil Bonner-Al Means ''Bonnerville'' Ford Starliner, What happened to Daddy Warbucks? LOL!

2) 61 McFayden's Starliner out of Omaha, NB.

3) What appears to be the 61 Romy Hammes Ford Galaxie Starliner. No shoe polish on this baby; just a huge billboard logo.

Attached Files:

24. Detroit Dragway has now become a four-lane highway. Taken in 1962.

Bill Sidwell 61 Pont Cat vs Norm Ruby 61 Ford vs Jim Wangers 62 Royal Pont vs 62 Chev 409. Anyone know who was driving the '62 Chevy?

25. What the...is this kin to Dyno Don's AFX or what?

Attached Files:

26. You know by 1964, Chevy guys like Dave Strickler switched over to Dodge and Plymouth, in order to remain in the top stock classes, and still managed to stay on top of their game. here's one for Dodge.

Attached Files:

27. 1964 NASCAR Winternationals coverage.

Attached Files:

28. Pick your posion...street or strip?

Attached Files:

29. pontiac421

pontiac421
    BANNED

Boy does this story hit home...I ran in S/C for a few years then tired of the format . They started a new class called Nostalgia S/S where you ran it "out the back door" because 1st guy to the end wins....what a concept!!! LOL
    I built a 1961 Pontiac Catalina and when I got to tech was asked "What's your dial-in"....WHAT!!!! Yep.....Another bracket class....GOOD BYE !!!!!

30. pontiac421

pontiac421
    BANNED

Yes ..This is the Red 1962 421/405 SD of Anderson Pontiac, Arlen Vanke driving...It held the SS/S record at 12.68 for a short time .
    This car is alive and well and currently being restored by Pontiac Supercar Specialties in Portland Mi.