Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 Ford Cabriolet with questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Rolf

Rolf

I found this car in great condition. It is an older restoration but it has an 8BA engine, '39 trans and juice brakes.

Immediate plans calls for a Camaro clip, 350/350, digital Dolphin instruments and a polished tilt steering.

Just kidding!!! Relax!!

[​IMG]

However, it was in a desperate need of white walls and a dual exhaust.

After building the exhaust and adding bias ply looking radial white walls it was a pleasure to back it out of the garage.

A smooth running flathead with some heavenly tunes emanating from the shiny stainless tips greeted me this morning.

The radial tires makes the car ride very smooth and ruts in the road are no longer a challenge.

All in all, the car is very tight and a joy to drive.

[​IMG]

I think the 1939 caps looks great with the ripple design.

[​IMG]

I lowered the rear but I have to bring the nose down a bit too.

[​IMG]

The office: The leather is in great condition and very comfortable. What a difference in comfort from the ’32 five window.

So here is my question for anyone that knows or own one of these:

I am looking at the top rear area and there is nothing under the top when it is folded down. Should there not be some sort of channel or something?

Also, there are no side panels on the inside of the quarter panels. There are upholstered panels on each side of the rumble seat...or mother-in-law-seat as they call it in Sweden. ;)

Right now I can look back and see the rumble seat. Is there some sort of bulk head that should be between the seat and the back area?

If you have any pictures or diagrams links that would be great.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

is the interior orange? maybe just the camera?

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice looking car. But I have to ask..."bias ply looking radial white walls"? What brand are those?

4. Great looking car. I suspect there should be some cardboard panels between the
    rumble seat and rest of the car. Hopefully someone with such a car will chime in.
    Is there a "well" into which the top folds?

5. Rolf

Rolf

Just adjust your computer's color setting until it look beige...and you are good.

6. Rolf

Rolf

Cooker Classics. They don't look too modern if that makes sense.

7. Rolf

Rolf

That's just it, I don't have anything there. Love to see some pictures if anyone owns one of these.

8. big creep

big creep

omg its beautiful! lucky dog!

9. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

beautiful cabriolet! great looking car.

10. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Great looking car! Get that front end down in the weeds a little more ;-)

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Wow Rolf!

That's a sweet ride.

If you give it the same treatment that you gave the coupe, it will be stunning.

Did 37 cabrios come in both standard (no back seat) and club (with back seat)?

Rich

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  12. CruZer

CruZer

I hope you get an "expert" to reply but I know from looking at lots of rumble seat cars that some Fords had nothing between the rumble seat area and the back of the front seat, just carpet so the rear passengers could stretch out a little.

That's a beautiful car. There aren't many of those around anymore except the glass ones.

13. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

Check labaron Bonney It should be able to get a well cover for underneath and a boot cover for above.

14. Rolf

Rolf

I think all cabrios were DeLuxe with rumble seat and the club had the back seat.

If someone knows for sure, let me know.

I wish these had trunks instead, there is no way I will let anyone climb over my shiny fenders to get in the back!:D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  15. You might want to post this on Fordbarn Rolf.

16. Rolf

Rolf

Thanks Keith, I did but no feedback so far hence my post here.
    Maybe I have the last '37 cabrio left??

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Rolf what a great car! I'd run a lowered front axle on that and call it good. Those cokers really do look like the oldies. Wow didn't know they had those. Yea those guys at fordbarn will help you on that question. We just own junk here. :)

18. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

My '36 coupe had some type of bulkhead between the cabin and rumble seat. I removed it when I installed new seats. Sorry no pictures.

19. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

That's a great looking cabriolet. Get the front end down and you are good to go!! Drive the wheels off it.

20. Rolf

Rolf

Yeah, the Cooker Classics looks fine and the improvement is significant. I am getting too old to fight with the steering wheels just so I can look "correct"

I just noticed that the axle is only a few inches from the pan so fiddling with the spring is not going to work. A dropped axle it is. Luckily we have a axle dropper dude living in our state now, just a few miles from home. :)

I did post on the 'barn but no reply so far...maybe it's far and few between cabrio owners.

21. Rolf

Rolf

Good thinking, I just spoke to LeBaron Bonney and indeed, they have both the side panels and the "gutter" under the top. Not that I have to go all stock but it will be a great guide.

They are sending out a list of everything for the Cabrio.

Thanks for positive comments, fellas. Will post once we get the nose closer to the ground, I think it will change the profile/stance in a very good way.

22. Absolutely gorgeous car! I'd give my first born to find a '37 Cabriolet in that nice of condition. :)

Not 100% sure these will help you, but attached are a couple of photos of what I was told was an inner quarter panel and the "gutter" piece for under the rear top for a '37 Cabriolet.

Attached Files:

23. Rolf

Rolf

Payne, thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay in reply, I got side tracked...yes, but another car.

It looks like the panel you have there is the side panel of the rumble seat. I do have those but nothing between the quarter panel and inside of the car.

I have removed the seat cushions on this picture. Sorry, my crappy mobile camera makes the car look pink/purple:(

[​IMG]

I did get the list from Lebarron Bonney but I just got a list, no pictures. I will give them a call and see if they can shed some more lights on the components.

24. Who drops axles in wa.?

25. DS1937

DS1937

Great looking car, good luck with it!

26. wondering this myself...

27. Rolf

Rolf

Sorry for late reply. Adam in Snohomish, I think he came from CA or AZ.
    I have to dig up his phone/contact info.

28. Beautiful ride. I'll never know why they called 37's 'the ugly duckling'.

29. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Nice looking car. They are getting harder to find. Mine was in a swamp most of it's life so many hours we needed to make it a real "Hot Rod". Have fun and drive the tires off it

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. ford1937coupe

ford1937coupe
    from florida

i have a 1937 roadster than is very similar in rumble seat area , when you seat in the rumble ,YOU CAN NOT C THE FRONT SEAT !! .have to be a panel btw 2 seat .
    than separate front with rear . i has a emergency tire back to front seat ,and is cover with .