Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some getting started advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeremyBurke, May 27, 2013.

1. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks 3spd

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The sweetest 50s car I have ever had the pleasure of riding in was a bone stock 1951 Ford Victoria Hardtop with a Fordomatic. It was the queen of shoeboxes.
    It was a old bootleggers car that had been impounded. The Sheriff in KY kept the car up while the owner was in prison. It was a Baby Blue and unrestored. That car looked near new. Man, it was nice.

3. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

There is one of those not to far from me for a price I could afford but it is not a runner and too far gone for a person of my meager skills and budget to take that challenge. I hope someone does because I don't want that beautiful old car to die.

4. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks again all for all your input. I will be sure and post pictures when I finally have the cash and the right car comes along.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

I don't know if you all are still out there watching this thread but I gotta try. Today at lunch a buddy and I went to look at a 1963 Fairlane 500 coupe. 260 V8, 3 speed on the tree (awesome). It has been sitting outside for a few years and the interior is ruined but the trunk and floors where mostly solid maybe a few small cancer spots. The body is solid with only one concerning rust spot on the drivers quarter panel just a small amount of rust that might be pitting. Over all a pretty solid car with all the trim intact. It is not running though and hasn't since 1996, went into storage for many year and spent the last 5-8 outside at the house. Supposedly has 24K original miles on the 260 V8. The question is at around 2K is this a deal or a nightmare waiting to happen.

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

6. Squablow

Squablow

If the engine turns over and if it has a clean title, I'd say that's a fair price. Maybe not a super screaming deal, but it is the car you said you really wanted, and it's a 2 door hardtop/V8/stick so that's worth it.

If the motor is locked up tight, then you'd really have to want it.

7. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

63s are my favorite, looks like a good car, look underneath, check the rear wheel wells, inside the trunk too. 2 grand sounds a little high, but I always offer low! Having said that, how bad does he want to unload it? Don't act too excited, offer him a grand and see what happens! (Have it in your wallet, maybe a couple of hun extra), money talks you know! The Fairlanes of that era didn't have a lot of rust issues, they were pretty well rust-proofed from the factory, plus your area doesn't use much salt. Good luck! P.S., I like 3-on-the-tree a lot, I've got 3 cars with 'em!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Does turn. We hand turned the fan it it was free and easy, well until it got some compression. Low balling him might be tough. Guy I talked too was the son of the owner and title holder. He is helping dad clean up the place so he can sell one of his many (5) homes that he has stuffed with engines and cars. The dad doesn't want to sell but the son is kind of forcing his hand. So if I go to low I risk just scaring the dad off the deal entirely. Thanks for the feed back guys.

9. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

One more question. If I wanted a cheap disc brake swap from a junk yard. Are there any bolt on options I could find at a place that only carries more modern cars? There is a junk yard about 1/2 mile from my house.

10. Hren59

Hren59

With time being at a premium, get the best car you can afford. It's really easy to underestimate how big a project will be. The longest part is usually the "it's almost done" phase

11. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Nothing that just bolts on. If I were you, just re-do the drum brakes for now, a brake swap can be a little tricky. Work into this stuff a little at a time. Did you buy it?

12. Squablow

Squablow

If the engine turns, it'll run. And you had even said this was your dream car. With the situation you've presented about the seller, I'd say go for it, and don't fuck it up trying to weasel the price down a few hundred bucks. You might wait years trying to find one in better shape and/or for less money, and that time is valuable too.

13. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

A little off subject, but Hren, can you explain your avatar?

14. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

I haven't bought it yet I am close to pulling the trigger. It would take all the cash I have right now. Which would mean getting it running would be tricky. I really want it and the body is in such good shape for what it is. If it didn't have ants all over the seats and ran it would be easier to pull the trigger. He is giving me until 8 am Wednesday to pull the trigger before he posts on Craigslist.

15. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

If it's near complete and overall solid, considering it's what you wanted, you probably should jump on it.

16. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Just reread my last post that is a lot of trigger talk for a car forum.

17. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

I have made an offer on the car. The owners son is trying to get his dad to agree to the deal. As a side not this car is originally from California and still has the Original Black Plates in the trunk. Is that a big deal and a selling feature for an Oregon boy or not?

18. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

A deal has been struck. I will be picking up a car later this week.

19. Hren59

Hren59

Hey fairlane mike, i dont wanna jack this thread, i posted a hint about my avatar in the thread "okay, explain your avatar"

20. Hren59

Hren59

Also congrats op, have fun and get yer boys wrenching and learning!

21. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

thanks Hren59. Now I am all curious about your avatar as well.

22. Squablow

Squablow

Well done. If the deal is for less than the $2K you had talked about, I'd say you did really well on this, that's plenty cheap for a V8 2 door hardtop that's all there and turns over. I doubt you'd ever find a better one for the money. Be sure to post progress pics.

23. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks Squablow. It is so hard to know if you got a good deal on these things especially for noobs like me. It ended up being for 1900 plus a couple of woodworking tools I was not using. So I am happy. I will definitely be posting pictures as I go. I suppose I should start a new thread for that. Plan is as follows.

1. Get it home
    2. Get it cleaned up
    3. Remove carpets and clean the seats. There is some mold and some sugar ants currently living in the center part of the front bench.
    4. Get it running
    4b. Get it stopping
    5. Install rear and possibly front shoulder belts so I can take my boys for a ride. Anyone tried putting Sebring or BMW seats with integrated shoulder belts in one of these. That's what I am considering. My birthday is in August if anyone is thinking of getting me something.
    6. Everything else. Probably surface rust and rubber seals next.

Oh and is your name a play on American Indians, Rob Lowe or sea creatures?

24. Fleetside

Fleetside

You can always sell the Black plates as YOM in California as long as they are out of the DMV computer and get some $$$$ to finance your new score. Nice car I always liked those Fairlanes

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  25. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

Thanks for the tip. What would something like that go for?

26. JerryLee

JerryLee

What really helped me, when my brother swore I would never get it put back together, was making a list of everything that needed to be done.
    I listed every task, then put them all in order of what had to be done first, what had to be done second, etc,etc.
    Then, I did the first thing on the list, followed by the second thing on the list, etc. And when someone would ask me, " What color you gonna paint it?" I'd tell them, "That's WAY down on the list."

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Fleetside

Fleetside

I paid a couple hundred bucks for the last set I got.(a while back) They just have to be DMV clear, which yours I'm guessing are since the car has been off the road so long. Depends on the shape too. Check Ebay under YOM California plates. Good luck.

28. Squablow

Squablow

PLEASE don't ruin that car by putting some gay ass late model seats in it. You can mount shoulder belts in there on stock seats if you engineer it well, and nothing ruins a car's interior faster than swapping in some headrest-laden late model shit seats.

I'm begging you to reconsider that.

29. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

I am getting a little push back on the seats. I am not married to any idea at this point mostly I am just dreaming and wondering what may be. Don't get too worked up I want it to look as good as anyone. But thanks for the input.

Got it home today I have lots of work to do and I done spent all my money. For anyone interested I attached a picture of the black YOM plates. There pretty rough but I have them. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370578001.494175.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370578035.271103.jpg

Debating, start new thread or just add on here.

30. JeremyBurke

JeremyBurke

So I brought her home today. She ain't shiny but she is pretty and she is all mine, even if buying it cost me all my savings. Good thing my birthday is coming around.

Got her on the the trailer
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579466.165625.jpg

Got her home in my driveway.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579740.812487.jpg

Then took a few pictures to assess what needs done.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579803.315517.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579845.545208.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579867.099499.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579880.810083.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579898.495865.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579916.410805.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579941.269933.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579977.925985.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370579998.027742.jpg
    I have a lot of work ahead of me. Just got to keep it small a keep on chugging.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013