Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to seal water jackets in my 325 dodge hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jun 6, 2013.

1. I've noticed leakage around the valve cover bolts..running OBrein covers and using their bolt kit for em..also have leakage thru the bolts in the new offenhauser t stat block...what's best for sealing these suckers..Teflon tape..pipe dope...or???
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. PackardV8

PackardV8

At a plumbing supply store, ask for "plumber's snot." They have yellow tape and yellow liquid for gas pipes. Seals better than anything I've found in the automotive stores.

jack vines

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've used teflon tape in slightly different applications with great success. If you're familiar with B/RB Mopars, the exhaust studs go through to the water jackets. While the original stud is a tapered thread that seals, a regualr 3/8-16 will fit perfectly, but will leak like crazy. Put a load of teflon tape on the bolt, keeping the first couple thread free of any to allow it to catch and pull in, and it will seal tight.

I'm sure the same trick will work on the valve covers, which are not under pressure.

4. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

My father was racing in the late 60's, he would have dumped a can of fine ground black pepper or ginger in the radiator. I'm sure technology has improved though........

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread sealer...not teflon tape. And you might consider using studs instead of bolts. Then when you have to disassemble again in the future, you won't disturb the sealed threads.

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The factory used studs for the valve covers and exhaust manifolds for that very reason.

7. Andy

Andy

On my Dodges, the lower valve cover holes go into the water jacket. If you see a leak with a bolt and pull the valve cover to check for water in the valve area, you will find a lot of water fast. I use studs on the valve covers and the exhaust manifolds. Permatex #2 on the first threads an never a leak.

8. Anderson

Anderson

We use this on everything from oil galley plugs, freeze plugs, to head bolts to seal up water jackets. Love it...pretty messy though.
    [​IMG]

9. Loss of good suggestions...i really don't want to do studs in the valve covers...and i used Allenbolts in the exhaust..no leakage issues there...so i guess I'll try the gas pipe dope..easiest to get in the small town i live in..thanks to all who replied

10. George

George

Like TR said, the factory used studs in case you need to pull the valve covers you won't have leaks, but what ever floats your boat.

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Right Stuff gasket maker .... 15+ bucks a can but worth it
    Dealing with flathead head studs iv tried several so called thread sealers over the years and found nothing better.
    I use it on almost everything now and never had a leak

12. I've always used GM headstud sealer and never had a problem, but just done an engine with Hot Heads ally heads and could not seal the exhaust studs. Ended up using ARP stud sealer and let it set for 24 hours before filling with coolant. No probs.

13. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

14. All this talk about studs...the holes are 3/8 and 5/16 standard thread, right?? If so then the only difference is u would use more and stronger sealant, not worrying about having to pull em..as opposed to using bolts....or am i missing something???

15. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The difference is when you take it apart, you don't have fluids running out on the ground.

ski likes this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Use studs and dip them in KD block sealer.

17. Mark,any of the sealants mentioned above will work fine on all your bolts except tape, just make sure the treads to be sealed are clean and dry. No need to use studs unless you have to pull it apart lots. Chevs use this with no fuss. Have fun. JW.

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Studs.
    My 392 had bolts in exhaust & valve covers. All the heat cycling would loosen the bolts & the leaks would start.
    You should see what it did to the cad plate on my Milodon oil pan! :eek:
    Studs & ARP sealer or your favorite sealer is the right answer.

19. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I don't know which way to stear you, but I can tell you what to stay away from. Edelbrock's Gaskacinch. Absolute shit!

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Permatex thread sealer or Loctite thread sealer is the only way to go since the bolts can be retorqued after the initial setup and the sealer has set. Other sealants might not offer that feature. I personally recommend studs. The factory knew what they were doing.