Register now to get rid of these ads!

Function Over Form

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 6, 2013.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Great article!!
    Functionality is a style all to itself. I like a car where I can look at it, and see exactly what everything does, and what the builder was thinking when he built it that way. Beauty is subjective, function is not. Something either works, or it doesn't.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd love to see more pictures of "The Sparrow". That thing is raw.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm digging where you're coming from here, Joey, with the "let's be aware of it all."

But just as classic beauty is timeless, so is butt ugly.

5. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

6. I hear ya !

Whether it was in1963 or 2013, rolling one of these machines off the trailer would garner some questionable looks. I’m not condoning returning this rudimentary look to the street or strip by any means. Quite to the contrary. I’m just making sure that all aspects of the hobby’s history are remembered–the good, the bad and the crude.
    Let’s see some of the less attractive examples of machines that have been lost to time.

You know it's funny, if someone posted a pic of something like that and said " hey lookie what I did " , the thread would be out of control and quickly deleted. It happens all the time.

7. What is the white car in the last pic.....heavy chop, nose up? Mopar? It's badass!
    The "sparrow" is pretty cool too.
    Nice read, thanks.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Upon opening the blog and gathering what the contents were about and looking at the first pic I imediately thought of the Dri-Pwr car and low and behold it was on the pic list.!!. I remember it strait from HRM and the caption stated that the tank up front was wrapped in burlap......

9. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Ironically, the "science" back then was equally questionable. Without CAD/CAM, you pretty much had an idea, built it out of whatever you had 'round, then took it out to the coastal airstrip and see if you were right...or if you ended up dead. In the end, it was meritocracy--you proved you were right, or you "learned how not to make the lightbulb", to paraphrase Edison's response to those who pointed how many times he failed.

Heck, how many times do we decide a certain "look" is right simply because we've seen it done that way so many times (say a '62 Vette with a California rake)that any other attempt at a style doesn't look right?

10. seatex

seatex

sorry, but I think several of those should be filed under "just because you can doesn't mean you should"......................

11. truckjim

truckjim

We learn more from our mistakes, especially the ugly ones.

12. rustybug13

rustybug13
    from Albany, Or

Some guys just turn their noses up at stuff like this, but like what was said "they have the luxury of learning from our forefathers." Sombody's gotta do it once, if for nothing else, so we can see what not to do.

13. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great read...........Chatting with a local 'roundy round' race car driver/legend, the stories that he told me about stuff they did while trying to "bend" the rules and trying to innovate. He told me that when the 'winged' cars started showing up at the track, him and some buddies went to the airport junkyard and purchased a wing piece and put it on top of his race car and the first lap around the track, the down force from the wing blew out all 4 tires. Lesson learned.

Chris

Oh yea, that Sparrow car is neato'.

14. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks to them, look how far we have come to strive to go back. What did I just say?

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

makes me glad that there are no pictures of a couple of cars I built in high school in the 60's

16. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Looks like some good ole fashion farmer john fun.

17. autobilly

autobilly

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Beauty is skin deep,but ugly is to the bone.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado