Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks, i plan to shoot the white on the roof today

thanks for your service Matt, hope to see you posting on your car once you get back

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

this is about how it will look, the rest of the masking can come off tomorrow

Attached Files:

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

here is the two tone

Attached Files:

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Getting the parts back on, having a little trouble with the rear tail lights. will need to check on the grounding.
    My front valances made from several rusted and cut up sets turned out fairly good.
    Still planning to be able to drive legally to St. Paul for Back to the Fifties in 2.5 weeks.

Attached Files:

5. Looking really good! Can't wait to see it all back together.

6. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Looking Great!!! Very inspiring.

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, me too!

Thanks Chris
    We just got back from a week in Alaska to visit our son and his wife and had a good time.
    Spent last night putting the door latches back on. it will be a full court press the next 10 days to get it ready to drive. Will post some updated pictures later in the week.

8. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

its looking amazing . you"ll have that beauty back on the road in no time , keep up the great work

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Cody, hope to be "street legal" by the weekend.
    Hope it will be sunny and dry for Back to the Fifties in St. Paul the following weekend (as windows and seals are currently on the want and not must side of the to do list)

10. Zeke

Zeke

I'm hoping my turn out as good as yours.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks, i hope they work out for you.

12. carlk60

carlk60

Glass and chrome are not important, having it at back to the 50s IS! I dont want my Nomad parking alone.:D This was from January to the beginning of May, havnt done much to it since, but drive it.

Attached Files:

13. carlk60

carlk60

BTW, I love the way yours is turning out! Cant wait to see it.

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Glad to hear you are on the road the Nomad is looking great Carl, can't wait to see it next week. Are you planning on going all 3 days? Do you have a area you like to try and park?

thanks, I got all the lights working last night after cleaning all the plug connectors. even put on a like non essencial trim. should get a lot more done this week.

15. carlk60

carlk60

I plan to be at the show all day Friday and Saturday, Sunday I plan to see how many parts I can fit into the Nomad to sell at the swap. (Im leaving the back seat out until after the swap to have more room) I usually park in the grassy/gravely lot North of the swap area, but I dont mind parking somewhere different.

Those lights can be a pain, Im down to needing to fix 1 license plate light and a few dash lights.

Later, Carl.

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sounds good, i will PM you my cell # later in the week.
    still not sure of the days. Trying for all 3, may spend part of Friday on windows if not done and rain in the forecast
    also may not be there when the gates open this year.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

well i was out driving tonight as a shake down for the weekend at back to the 50's in St. Paul Mn.
    still lots more to do but is is street legal.here as=re a few new pictures

Also had a set back in the curved side windows i was planning to finish putting in tonight.
    i cleaned up and put the new seal on one last night and decided to wait until tody to put on. when i went to the shop there was glass on the floor and the window was totally shattered. lesson learned, a little tension on a old window that is just sitting there is a bad deal. good news is the one spare i still have is for the correct side and the seal was not damaged

Attached Files:

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Congrats on the test drive! The window sucks though!

19. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Wow, that glass would be heart breaking. Thankfully it lookd like its the clear glass and not the easy eye. Looking good and looking forward to seeing pics of it at the show.

20. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

So sorry to hear about your glass but kinda funny as I had the same thing happen to me years ago. I thought it was odd but I guess not.

Your wagon is looking great and I wish I could make it up there to park with you guys.

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

glad to know I'm not alone on the window, must be the curve. the little ones were about the same and have been sitting for months but are flat.

Glad you guys like the way it is looking, it was nice to see it out in the daylight.
    Just got back fron picking up my paperwork and am heading to the shop to put some more parts on and clean it up a littke

22. Congratulations! Always a great day when you finally get to drive it. Looks good too! Enjoyed watching all the work invested, thanks for sharing.

23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Fan Attic, it drove well, and it was fun to be on the road.
    Wish it would have been more complete but for me the Back to the Fifties show is the one i always try to make ,so it was like the last day to hand in a paper back in school. it seems to have received partial credit.

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Not a lot to show in pictures just yet. Been bolting on more parts, shining up the chrome, adding seals and other fine points to prepare to get all the windows back in.
    The next planned outing is the in Friday the 12th and will for sure post updated pictures on how it looks for the Lakeville MN "Pan-O-Prog" (Panorama Of Progress) Cruise night.
    will include a back seat and seat belts for the grand kids

25. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Looks great! Keep up the hard work.

26. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I just removed both rear curved side glass from a '60 parts car that are in great shape if anyone is looking for glass. Great looking '59 ya have going. Congrats!!!

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks

Hopefully i will not break any more and will not need them. good ones can be hard to come by. Thanks

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

took both my cars & the grand kids, they loved the show and cruise.
    Favorite quote of the night from my 5 year-old grandson. "grandpa, what is that cool green car".
    My reply "that is a 32 ford, Deuce Coupe"
    Then the 5 year-old grandson, yelling back to his dad in the car behind us "hey dad look that green car , its a a 32 ford, Deuce Coupe"
    his 8 year old brother was taking pictures up until it was time to drive, good to see. he also thinks i need to ad some flames to the wagon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

it has been a hectic summer so far, but here are a few updated pictures to show there has still been some progress. i hope to have the windows and chrome on by 8/20
    had to make a new clip to replace a rusted out one, worked out well.

Attached Files:

30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

getting more done, but it is going slow.
    1/2 of the windows are in and made up some mounting clips (that did not come in the "complete" kit i bought)

Attached Files: