Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Unknown Roadster/ Road trip home

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rebelrun, Jun 2, 2013.

1. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

Many of you are familiar with the book by Pat Ganahl : Lost Hot Rods two, and the cover car known as the unknown roadster.

I posted here some time ago looking for a roadster with hopes of coming upon something cool and maybe with hopes of having some history. Nothing really ever surfaced that I could not live without.

I was searching over craigslist and stumbled onto an innocent ad for a 31 roadster, so and behold it was the very same roadster from the book. I immediately call and got to speak with the current owners brother, and the gentlemen who was in care of it when the book was put together, Gary. I asked him the normal run of questions, and then told him I wanted it. He then gave me the contact of his brother, Frank. I called up and struck the deal. Both are great folks and have been outstanding care takers of the car. I am so excited to be the new care taker of the car and I hope to be able to bring it back into the public eye, for other to enjoy.

Cars like this are simply amazing pieces of art and prove that something like an old hot rod is more then just a car.

So the plan is to fly out there on Tuesday and drive the car 1500 miles back to my home here in South Alabam. I am going to be cutting across 70 and weaving down to Memphis and further into Alabama. I figured I would post up here the trip details and the progress of the trip. SO if there are any folks along the route from Denver to Dothan that want to hop on the road and cruise a bit with this lil roadster and I, just give a shout. I will be using this thread to update as well as maybe a quick photoblog or something if I can figure it out prior to lift off on Tuesday.

here is a link to Ryan,s post on the book
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8446493[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Jeff J

Jeff J

Come on out to LARS on Father's and you can come back with some roadster back to your area !!" The Great Grey Beard adventure "

Attached Files:

3. I look forward to your venture/adventure!

4. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

That would add way more miles to the trip, thought it would be awesome

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome! Looking forward to seein your trip :)

Hitchhiker likes this.
  8. PG

PG

Lucky lucky, I love that roadster.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, congrats. will watch for your trip updates. hope that you do not have problems along the way with any of the storms and flooding going on all over.

10. jimbanner

jimbanner

congrats, looking forward to following the trip home. Should be a very cool road trip.

11. Gonna follow this 1
    Anutter 1 on the Great Greybeard Adventure

12. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370373210.258487.jpg .

About head out going east through KS on 36. Seems I am getting a break from the rain.

Gonna do a daily recap when I stop for tge night.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Awesome! Drive safe!!

14. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370380081.346476.jpg Crusimg

15. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

So day one is coming to a close. I am in Colby, Kansas SO I made about 250 miles in 7 hours. Not bad considering.

I arrived to Denver to meet up with Gary Vahling who was the owner when the book was published. He is one hell of a nice guy and has build some great cars. A few of his personal cars graced the covers of magazines and he had built some for great clients like George Poteet back when he owned and operated Masterpiece rodding and restoration. He traded his brother for a 32 five window that was built in 58 for the roadster, so now Frank was the owner.

I honestly was shocked by how good the car is. It runs good, but has some blowby that I have to sort out and could use a set of plugs. I will get on that in the am for certain.

I have to rework my strategy on riding the smaller roads. They are great and all but there are no services (Gas, Food, etc) its sad to see how the interstates have whipped out the alternate routes to a point where they are ghost roads. I almost had a problem with running out of fuel when I happened onto a group of old boys just sitting around, so I swung over to ask where the next fuel stop was (55 miles). Just happens these folks are some good ole hot rodders that are running some crazy bangers it t dueces and turbos in little t buckets. They threw me some fuel and set me right. Thank god for good people.

Made it the rest of the way without a hitch, until 10 minutes out of Colby, when it made up its mind to crack the clouds open and pour. So close, yet so far.

Seems I am having connection issues for photos, so this is light on them. I will upload a bunch more when the internet gods allow.

Attached Files:

16. Colby KS. worst McDonalds I ever ate at. That was on one of my worst trips across the great USA.

17. Great pic with the sunset!

18. Great read so far and I love the pic with the sunset.

19. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Fantastic!

20. Good on you! There should be more road trip adventures!

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the lucky dog department, you must be the Grand Champion. Congrats. Such a nice old car... just love them front fenders... Gary

22. Model A Nut

Model A Nut

Great find, great reason to take a trip and to be able to drive it home must be a hell of a ride!!!

23. Love that roadster! Are you coming down 24highway through Lawrence???

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  24. Jebo

Jebo

Sweet! Great looking car

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I will be following you on your adventure home. We just got back from PA taking many of the backroads, beautiful indeed.

Drive safe never miss an opportunity to fill up or pee!!

26. Stay safe, and keep us posted!
    Love road trips like that...

27. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I really cant believe you can buy that roadster and proceed to drive half way across the country. This rules

28. Have a great trip, drive safe, and keep the pictures coming!

29. The sunset picture should become a poster...I'd buy one. Keep the photos and reports coming. Travel safe...watch your speed.